INFO-ADA Digest V90 #89 - Ada Coding Conventions
Author Message
 INFO-ADA Digest V90 #89 - Ada Coding Conventions

DOWN WITH UNDERSCORES!!

In these days of modern times, with multiple fonts and high-res bit maps
on your display and printer, underscores are an unnecessary kludge.  Here's
a radical idea: why not separate words with a little bit of blank space?
We could call it a "blank" or a "space" and it would be just great for
showing where one word ends and the next begins.

Ok, we've already got a similar construct, which we use for two different
purposes: to indicate to compilers where tokens begin and end and to indicate
to people where words begin and end.  However, they don't have to be looking
at the same material.  Nobody types raw Ada anymore, or at least they had better
not be doing so by the time of 9X, so the only one who needs to see it as
characters in a row is the person.  If there is really a problem with things
appearing ambigious to him, do something like printing multiple word identifiers
on a light gray background or in a box.  (If you really have to display it on
an old-fashioned device, replace the blanks with underscores.)

Obviously, I'm assuming a good Ada editor in which identifiers are typed as
abbreviations and expanded or by mouse selection from data declarations in
another window.

Bob Munck, Deputy Architect, Unisys STARS

USPS:           STARS - 7670
            Unisys Corporation
        12010 Sunrise Valley Drive
            Reston, VA   22091

PHONE:          703/620-7991

Wed, 28 Oct 1992 04:50:15 GMT

1. INFO-ADA Digest V90 #179

2. Directions to the Convention Center for TRI-Ada 89

3. INFO-ADA Digest V92 #56 (Re: Why Ada)

4. Ada, Ada,Ada,Ada,Ada,Ada,Ada,Ada Development

5. final attendance figures from TRI-Ada 89

6. HOTEL SHUTTLE SERVICE Information -- TRI-Ada 89

7. TRI-Ada 89 update: Opening Plenary 2

8. TRI-Ada 89 update: Expected Keynote Speakers

9. Special briefing at TRI-Ada '89

10. TRI-Ada 89: 4th track

11. vendor user group meetings at TRI-Ada 89

12. TRI-Ada 89 update -- Conference program (DRAFT)