Using 'C' for Safety-Critical Applications
Author Message
 Using 'C' for Safety-Critical Applications

Quote:

> I like ADA but, we have a project (safety-critical real-time system for braking)
> where a small subset of C has been selected as development language just
> because of commercial issues - the one and only reasons that really counts in
> an industrial context!.

Since Ada has been used successfully for commercial hard real-time
safety-critical systems, this seems to be a silly reason.

You might want to check out what your competitors are finding out. See:

  http://www.*-*-*.com/ #successes

Quote:

> Those are :
>  o expensive runtime license of ADA compilers is an important cost constraint
>    for embedded application. Our application work in a very lean environment.
>    Most parts of the ADA runtime has been thrown away but not all. The license
>    has to be paid per running piece. Therefore the price per piece has been
>    enormously increased using ADA.

Not all Ada compilers have such a pricing structure. We don't pay a
per-use price for
ours. Do a little comparison shopping and see if you can't get a better
deal!

Quote:
>  o runtime efficiency in size (must find place in eeproms), performance
>    (hard real-time application)

I have a hard real-time safety-critical application running in a small
EEPROM space,
so this is also easily disproven. See also the Tartan comparison of Ada
and C
performance for TI DSPs.

Quote:
>  o more or less the C subset left over is a replacement of Assembler, but is
>    sufficient to meet portability, structure, testing and certification goals

Why is this an argument against using Ada? Certainly, you can create the
a reasonable
Ada subsset as well.

If you already have working "C" code, and you're happy with it, then use
it. If
you're starting a new project, sounds like an excellent place to use
Ada.

Quote:

> Remark:
>  Complexity of the sources, application running certain microcontrollers:
>   ~4800 lines of C code
>   ~2500 lines of assembler
>   No external libraries are allowed.

>  The type and the complexity of the safety critical application is probably
>  decisive for the selection of the programming language. Maybe C
>  development costs might be higher (probably during certification). But the
>  question is : are you cheaper than your competitor?

You might also be interested in:

  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:
>  In our case, the first implementation of the system has been done in ADA -
>  THEN in C.

Seems strange to me.

If you've already made up your mind to use "C", are you just looking for
someone
to confirm what you've already decided?

Quote:

--
LMTAS - The Fighter Enterprise - "Our Brand Means Quality"
For job listings, other info: http://www.*-*-*.com/ or

Tue, 08 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Forth for Safety Critical Applications

2. Safety-Critical Systems Developed Using C++

3. Programs using GHC's run-time safety test

4. Mission Critical WEB Application using VW Smalltalk

5. Safety Critical Systems Vacation School Announcement

6. Functional Languages for Safety Critical Systems

7. Functional Lnaguages for Safety Critical Systems

8. C and safety critical systems

9. Safety-Critical Survey (Results)

10. C programmers and safety critical systems programming

11. Safety Critical Software

12. IEE Event - Safety Critical Systems Vacation School, Cambridge, UK