diff Ada83-LRM Ada9X-LRM
Author Message
 diff Ada83-LRM Ada9X-LRM

Hello,

We are planning to translate Ada9X reference manual into Japanese.

We would like to know which parts are changed from Ada83. Because
we have Japanese version of LRM Ada83.

Do you have any idea of how to estimate what percentage of it are
updated ? Ada9X reference manual (current version, draft 4.0) only
tells us where were changed from the previous version (draft 3.0).

--
/ ?1 KKE 3??2?? TEL 045-451-2412 FAX 045-451-2419 /

/ 2???????o????  1-1-25  ??|??? 100  16F /

Fri, 15 Nov 1996 19:37:19 GMT
 diff Ada83-LRM Ada9X-LRM

Quote:

>We are planning to translate Ada9X reference manual into Japanese.

>We would like to know which parts are changed from Ada83. Because
>we have Japanese version of LRM Ada83.

>Do you have any idea of how to estimate what percentage of it are
>updated ? Ada9X reference manual (current version, draft 4.0) only
>tells us where were changed from the previous version (draft 3.0).

There are very few paragraphs that were carried over intact from
the Ada 83 reference manual to the Ada 9X reference manual.  On the
other hand, all Ada 83 features remain in Ada 9X.  The problem is
that like any complex system, even if a given feature is unchanged,
the interactions with other new features need to be accommodated.

Furthermore, there were already a number of "AI"s on the existing
manual (on average more than one per paragraph), so even if we
made no change to the set of features, we might have had to make
some change to almost every paragraph, if only for clarification.

It is somewhat like what happens when a large piece of software
undergoes a significant revision.  Rather than simply applying
hundreds of patches so as to minimize how many sentences
were altered, we did a thorough review of the entire manual
and, while retaining the same overall organization, revamped
the contents of every clause and subclause as necessary to improve
clarity, consistency, and correctness.

In your planning for doing the translation, you can probably save
some time relative to the initial Ada 83 translation because
most of the preexisting vocabulary has not changed.  However, enough
paragraphs have changed that it is relatively unlikely that it would pay to
create the Ada 9X translation by "patching" the Ada 83 translation.

There is another team planning a French translation.  The team members
have all been quite involved in the Ada 9X process, and some were involved
in the Ada 83 French translation, so perhaps they can comment on any
effort estimates they have developed for their Ada 9X translation.

Quote:
>/ ?1 KKE 3??2?? TEL 045-451-2412 FAX 045-451-2419 /

>/ 2???????o????  1-1-25  ??|??? 100  16F /

Ada 9X Mapping/Revision Team
Intermetrics, Inc.
Cambridge, MA  02138

Fri, 15 Nov 1996 21:00:34 GMT
 diff Ada83-LRM Ada9X-LRM
I think it will be hopeless to try to rescue specific text from the old
version of the translation. If you were to put change bars in the 9X RM
wrt the 83 RM, there would be virtually solid changes bars.

It is not that the language has changed 100%, or even that the style and
organziation of the RM has changed 100%, but there are at the minimum
pervasive small changes.

Sat, 16 Nov 1996 00:50:44 GMT

1. Ada83 lrm

2. Ada83 LRM location?

3. Ada9X LRM ftp source?

4. Ada83 to Ada9X Compatibility Tool in the PAL

5. COBOL 74 LRM Needed

6. LRM sec 13.4.1

7. LRM Sec 10.2.1

8. LRM for Verilog 2001 and System Verilog

9. SystemVerilog LRM

10. Verilog-2001 LRM

11. Where can I find Verilog LRM doenload?

12. Verilog 2000 LRM ?