Posix Ada bindings for Unix
Author Message
 Posix Ada bindings for Unix

Are there any "public domain" implementations of the Posix Ada bindings?
If so, where can I get a copy?  I am interested in using these bindings
with the IBM Ada/6000 compiler (a TeleSoft based compiler) for the RS/6000.

Since Posix.5 Ada bindings would be implemented in terms of Posix.1 C
interface, I would expect such an Ada binding to be pretty portable between
the various Ada compilers and the Posix-compliant operating systems
(only have to make changes for data representation and interfacing to C).

Also, are there any proposed standard Ada bindings to Posix.4a Threads (I
don't think 1003.4a is a standard yet, but it should be pretty close)?

Kevin D. Heatwole
OC Systems, Inc.

Sun, 13 Oct 1996 09:49:55 GMT
 Posix Ada bindings for Unix
There are a few places in the POSIX/Ada binding where support from the
compiler is required.  These are covered in the POSIX.5 rationale.
So, if you get those facilities from the compiler, then you can do a
reasonably portable (but not necessarily efficient) implementation of
POSIX.5.

I wrote a paper for Tri-Ada '90 on my prototype implementation of
POSIX.5.

Implementing POSIX.4a pthreads with Ada is a much more difficult
proposition.  There is substantial and complex interaction between the
Ada runtime and pthreads, such that it's not something that a third
party could handle.  Ted Baker and Ted Giering have done a lot of work
on this.

                                dave

--
--The preceeding opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of
--The MITRE Corporation or its sponsors.

Tue, 15 Oct 1996 23:39:17 GMT
 Posix Ada bindings for Unix

Quote:

> Are there any "public domain" implementations of the Posix Ada bindings?
> If so, where can I get a copy?  I am interested in using these bindings
> with the IBM Ada/6000 compiler (a TeleSoft based compiler) for the RS/6000.

Although not a full set of POSIX Ada bindings, the POSIX/Ada-Runtime project
at Florida State University has built a Pthreads library for SunOS and an
associated set of "thin" Ada bindings.  From their version 1.2 release note:

  PART Version 1.2: Release on ftp
  ================================

  The POSIX / Ada-Runtime project is happy to announce that the sources
  of the POSIX Ada Run-Time System Librarys (PART) are now available to
  the public for non-commercial use (see copyright).

  ftp-site:  ftp.cs.fsu.edu
  internet#: 128.186.121.27
  directory: /pub/PART
  files:     part.tar.Z, part_README

  Related publications as well as an implementation of POSIX threads are
  also available on this site in the mentioned directory.

Quote:
> Also, are there any proposed standard Ada bindings to Posix.4a Threads (I
> don't think 1003.4a is a standard yet, but it should be pretty close)?

Yes.  P1003.5b is the proposed Ada bindings to the P1003.4 and P1003.4a Posix
Real-Time extensions.  Draft 2.4 is available via anonymous ftp from
ftp.cs.fsu.edu in the file pub/baker/1003.5b.ps.Z

This excelent work is brought to you throught the diligent work of Dr. Ted Baker
and his colleagues at FSU.  Check it out.

Quote:
> Kevin D. Heatwole
> OC Systems, Inc.

------

Silicon Graphics                                           (415) 390 - 2884

Wed, 16 Oct 1996 06:30:57 GMT
 Posix Ada bindings for Unix
Quote:
> Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
om!news.
msfc.nasa.gov!news.larc.nasa.gov!saimiri.primate.wisc.edu!news.crd.ge.c
m!sarah!

Quote:
> psinntp!psinntp!ocsystems!kdh

> Subject: Posix Ada bindings for Unix

> Date: Wed, 27 Apr 1994 01:49:55 GMT

> Are there any "public domain" implementations of the Posix Ada bindings?
> If so, where can I get a copy?  I am interested in using these bindings
> with the IBM Ada/6000 compiler (a TeleSoft based compiler) for the
RS/6000.

> Since Posix.5 Ada bindings would be implemented in terms of Posix.1 C
> interface, I would expect such an Ada binding to be pretty portable
between
> the various Ada compilers and the Posix-compliant operating systems
> (only have to make changes for data representation and interfacing to
C).

> Also, are there any proposed standard Ada bindings to Posix.4a Threads
(I
> don't think 1003.4a is a standard yet, but it should be pretty close)?

> Kevin D. Heatwole
> OC Systems, Inc.

The following is available on PAL.

Paul

-----------------Snip-------Snip-------Snip----------------------------
---------

  3.8.  Public Ada Library Card Catalog Entry
        BINDINGS
          POSIX
            POSIX 1

====
  UNIT NAME
   POSIX
  VERSION
   1.0
  REVIEW CODE
   OK
  AUTHOR
   Science Applications International Corp
  RIGHTS
   Approved for public release; distribution unlimited
  COPYRIGHT
   1990 SAIC
  DATE CREATED
   1 Nov 90
  DATE RELEASED
   12 Nov 93
  DATE LAST UPDATED
   12 Nov 93
  LOCATION
   ASSET
   PAL
  ENVIRONMENT
   AIX
  DEPENDENCIES
   None
  SHORT DESCRIPTION
   An interface between Ada and POSIX for AIX

  ABSTRACT
   ASSET_A_147:  Ada/Operating System Interface (OSI)

        This package provides tools to interface between Ada and an
   operating system.  The package is modeled on the POSIX interface for
   AIX but may be  implemented on other environments as well.  Functions
   available include  interfaces to files and directories; access to
   environment variables such as user login name and aliases or logicals;
   and interfaces to spawn or execute  other processes.
   REVISION HISTORY
   1 Nov 90    1.0   SAIC   Initial release to ASSET
   12 Nov 93   1.0   ASSET  Initial release to the PAL

  RELEASE NOTICE
   This prologue must be included in all copies of this software.
   Restrictions on use or distribution:  NONE
  FILE SPECIFICATIONS
   R languages/ada/bindings/posix
  DIRECTORY DISPLAY

   languages/ada/bindings/posix:
     File Name                 Size
     ---------                 ----
     README                     434
     posix.tgz               22,111

   Totals
     ==============  ==============
       2 Files               22,545

  3.9.  Public Ada Library Card Catalog Entry
        BINDINGS
          POSIX
            POSIX 2

====
  UNIT NAME
   POSIX2
  VERSION
   OCT 93
  REVIEW CODE
   OK
  INET ADDRESS

  AUTHOR
   IEEE Working Group P1003.5
  RIGHTS
   Approved for public release; distribution unlimited
  COPYRIGHT
   1993 IEEE
  DATE CREATED
  DATE RELEASED
  DATE LAST UPDATED
  LOCATION
   ASSET
   PAL
  DEPENDENCIES
   None
  SHORT DESCRIPTION
   Ada package specs for a binding to POSIX P1003.5

  ABSTRACT
   ASSET_A_395: POSIX/Ada Interface Specifications
        This asset contains Ada package specifications for a binding to
   POSIX which conform to the IEEE standard.
        These package specifications were extracted from IEEE Std
   1003.5-1992,  IEEE Standard for Information Technology--POSIX Ada
   Language Interfaces--Part  1: Binding System Application Program
   Interface, copyright  1992 by the  Institute of Electrical and
   Electronics Engineers, Inc.  These package  specifications represent
   only a portion of the document and are not to be  interpreteted as the
   approved consensus standard.  The IEEE Std 1003.5-1992  must be used in
   conjunction with these package specifications in order to  claim
   conformance.
        Note that these specifications are incomplete, in that the
standard
   identifies some declarations as implementation-defined.  In addition,
   no package bodies are provided.
   REVISION HISTORY
   01 October 1993   OCT 93   Release to ASSET
   14 January 1994   OCT 93   Initial release to the PAL

  RELEASE NOTICE
   This prologue must be included in all copies of this software.
   Restrictions on use or distribution:  NONE
  FILE SPECIFICATIONS
   R languages/ada/bindings/posix2
  DIRECTORY DISPLAY

   languages/ada/bindings/posix2:
     File Name                 Size
     ---------                 ----
     README                     883
     posix2.zip              27,323

   Totals
     ==============  ==============
       2 Files               28,206

  3.16.  Public Ada Library Card Catalog Entry
      BINDINGS
        UNIX

====
  UNIT NAME
   Paradise
  VERSION
   3.4
  REVIEW CODE
   OK
  INET ADDRESS

  AUTHOR
   Nicolas Courtel
   Centre D'Etudes de la Navigation Aerienne
  RIGHTS
   Approved for public release; distribution unlimited
  COPYRIGHT
   1993 Centre D'Etudes de la Navigation Aerienne
  DATE CREATED
  DATE RELEASED
  DATE LAST UPDATED
  LOCATION
   ASSET
   PAL
  ENVIRONMENT
   Sun
   HP
  DEPENDENCIES
   SunOS or HPUX
  SHORT DESCRIPTION
   A set of packages that provide an interface to Unix

  ABSTRACT
   Paradise
        Paradise is a set of Ada packages intended to provide an interface
   to the  Unix operating system, and more specifically to the
   communication routines, that are accessed via file descriptors. It lets
   the Ada programmer use files, pipes, and sockets, as well as signals,
   error codes, environment variables, etc..., using an interface that
   looks as much as possible like the C interface.
        Paradise supports multi-tasking: any input or output is blocking
   for the calling task only, and not for the entire process.
        Paradise is intended to be system-independant and
   compiler-independant;  so far, it works on three environments:
      - SunOS (Sparc) and SunAda (Verdix 6.1) compiler
      - HP-UX (HP9000/700) and HP-Ada (Alsys) compiler
      - HP-UX (HP9000/700) and Verdix 6.3d compiler
   It is known not to work well on SunOS/Alsys, because of problems on
   signal handlers;
        For people who would like to port it to other environments,
   informations on portability are displayed inside the code. A
   programmer's guide should appear in future versions.
        To install Paradise, you need:
             * A supported configuration:
               - SunOS/SunAda (or Verdix 6.1 or higher)
               - HPUX/Hp-Ada (or Alsys)
               - HPUX/Verdix 6.3d or higher
             * A few Unix tools (may be replaced by the GNU equivalents):
               - make
               - the macro processor m4
               - ar and ranlib
   Once you have checked all this, you need to edit the system.mk and
   compiler.mk files, to make them fit your environment. Default files are
   provided for SunOS and HP-UX systems, and Alsys and Verdix compilers.
        NOTE: there are no Ada sources in the distribution; the source
code
   must be first processed by m4 to become Ada code.
   REVISION HISTORY
   05 November 1993   3.3.4   Release to ASSET
   14 January 1994    3.3.4   Initial release to the PAL

  RELEASE NOTICE
   This prologue must be included in all copies of this software.
   Restrictions on use or distribution:  NONE
  FILE SPECIFICATIONS
   R languages/ada/bindings/paradise
  DIRECTORY DISPLAY

   languages/ada/bindings/paradise:
     File Name                 Size
     ---------                 ----
     README                   1,871
     paradise.tgz           214,640

   Totals
     ==============  ==============
       2 Files              216,511

Dr. Paul Gorman              tel   : +64 3 479 8366
Lecturer                     fax   : +64 3 479 8529

University of Otago,
Dunedin, New Zealand                   "Okay,... so,... she's a dog."

Tue, 22 Oct 1996 12:42:51 GMT

1. Looking for ftp-able POSIX/UNIX bindings...

2. P1003.5 Ada Language Binding for POSIX (r)

3. ISO/IEC 14519 - Ada POSIX binding

4. Book on Posix Ada Bindings ?

5. ANNOUNCE: POSIX Ada binding for Win32

6. What are POSIX Ada Bindings?

7. Ada/POSIX Real-Time bindings

8. Posix Ada binding for OpenVMS

9. POSIX/Ada binding package specifications available on AJPO host

10. POSIX-Ada Bindings for DEC ALPHA/OSF

11. POSIX-Ada binding

12. US Navy seeks info on POSIX Ada binding implementations