Low-end processor supported by gnat/gcc
Author Message
 Low-end processor supported by gnat/gcc

What minimum requirements does the gcc back-end have for a processor
that it supports? Does it have to be a 32-bit processor or is it
also possible with reasonable effort to add support to gcc for
various 8-bit microcontrollers (i8051, PIC16C84, etc.), smartcard
processors, and DSPs?

Markus

--
Markus G. Kuhn, Security Group, Computer Lab, Cambridge University, UK
email: mkuhn at acm.org,  home page: < http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mgk25/>

Sun, 17 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Low-end processor supported by gnat/gcc

Quote:

>What minimum requirements does the gcc back-end have for a processor
>that it supports? Does it have to be a 32-bit processor or is it
>also possible with reasonable effort to add support to gcc for
>various 8-bit microcontrollers (i8051, PIC16C84, etc.), smartcard
>processors, and DSPs?

There's a port of gcc (C front-end) for the PC that cross-compiles for the
Hewlett-Packard Saturn CPU (used in its HP-48 calculators), so I'm sure it's
possible to make it work as a cross-compiler for almost anything 8-bit and
up. Don't know if it'd be worth the effort for some things, though.

Larry

Sun, 17 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Low-end processor supported by gnat/gcc

I've been working with some DSP executables on the Alpha. The Alpha is a very
nice chip with excellent performance but the DEC boxes are a bit pricey. I
cast a speculative eye over some of TI's DSP chips - new ones coming out run
at 200MHz and feature 8-way instruction issuing! I asked the folks at ACT what
would be involved in getting a port of GNAT to the TI architecture. They
replied that it was doable but it would involve quite a bit of work. One thing
that would need to be done is porting gcc to the chip. There is a guy in New
Zealand doing this according to some posts I saw on comp.dsp.

David

Quote:

>What minimum requirements does the gcc back-end have for a processor
>that it supports? Does it have to be a 32-bit processor or is it
>also possible with reasonable effort to add support to gcc for
>various 8-bit microcontrollers (i8051, PIC16C84, etc.), smartcard
>processors, and DSPs?

>Markus

>--
>Markus G. Kuhn, Security Group, Computer Lab, Cambridge University, UK
>email: mkuhn at acm.org,  home page: <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/>

Tue, 19 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. GNAT gcc and regular gcc

2. Status of GCC-GNAT versus GNAT 3.14-3.15

3. Need low processor intensive checksum algorithm

4. Stand-alone Forth front end for GCC?

5. returns at the end of function calls with code generated by GNU gcc

6. Modula2 front end for gcc?

7. Low End Board Engineer - Job Opening!

8. Really Low Low Low Level Stuff.

9. GNAT - GCC which version to use?

10. Which GCC compiler for Linux-GNAT

11. gnat, gvd, gdb, gcc and suse linux 8.2

12. gnat link to c++ classes (all gcc)