DIANA
Author Message
 DIANA

Is still DIANA used in todays Ada95 compilers?

--
Antonio Durn

Sat, 16 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DIANA

Quote:

> Is still DIANA used in todays Ada95 compilers?

I presume Rational's APEX compiler still uses a variant of DIANA.
Also, Concurrent built an Ada 95 compiler using the old VADS front
end, and that used a variant of DIANA.  OCS has a compiler based
on the old TeleSoft front end, and they had something approximating
DIANA.

GNAT, and the AdaMagic-based compilers (Green Hills, Aonix, etc.)
do not use DIANA in any real sense, though we of course build
up at least some amount of abstract syntax tree and then annotate
it during overload resolution.

If you think of DIANA as simply an annotated abstract syntax tree for Ada,
then probably every Ada compiler uses it in some form.  If you think
of DIANA as a standard, then probably no Ada compiler uses it in
its "standard" form.  However, if you think of DIANA as a persistent, complete,
annotated abstract syntax tree used to represent the entire Ada
program library, then APEX, Concurrent, and OCS could be considered
DIANA users.

Quote:

--

Technical Director, Commercial Division, AverStar (formerly Intermetrics)
(http://www.averstar.com/services/IT_consulting.html)  Burlington, MA  USA

Mon, 18 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DIANA

Quote:
> Is still DIANA used in todays Ada95 compilers?

I don't know of any compiler built from scratch for Ada 95 that uses
DIANA.  There are some Ada 95 compilers that were built by upgrading Ada
83 compilers and that use a modified form of DIANA.

By the way, DIANA is not a very good design for a compiler intermediate
language, in my opinion.

By the way, ASIS meets many of the original goals of DIANA, using a
rather different approach.

- Bob

Mon, 18 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DIANA
[...]

Quote:
> OCS has a compiler based on the old TeleSoft front end, and they had
> something approximating DIANA.

If you mean "high form", the intermediate language produced by the old
TeleSoft front end, I don't think it's a particularly close
approximation to DIANA.  It may have borrowed some ideas from it, but
it's basically a home-grown structure.  In particular, I think DIANA
is a lot more verbose (though I confess I'm not familiar with it).

--

San Diego Supercomputer Center           <*>  <http://www.sdsc.edu/~kst>
Welcome to the last year of the 20th century.

Mon, 18 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Diana Info and Diana -> Ada un-compiler

2. Diana Information

3. Diana specification for Ada

4. about the IR of ADA program : DIANA

5. How to find Ada95 to Diana tool?

6. Reconstructing Ada source code from DIANA

7. How to obtain DIANA??

8. How to obtain DIANA??

9. DIANA Standard

10. Diana, debugger info

11. Diana and/or ASIS manipulation routines

12. Summary of Diana Status