Meridian compatable with Macintosh system 7? 
Author Message
 Meridian compatable with Macintosh system 7?

Because others may be interested in the answer I am posting
my question on the BB.
Is/will the Meridian Ada compiler on the Macintosh
compatable with the Apple system 7?
(fyi: sys 7 is virtual memory and some other "improvements")

-----------


Mon, 21 Feb 1994 01:59:00 GMT  
 Meridian compatable with Macintosh system 7?

Macintosh is compatible with Apple's new System 7.

I too look forward to finding the answer.  However, I point out that my
copy of Meridian Ada came with MPW V3.1, which is NOT compatible with
System 7.  It is necessary to upgrade to MPW V3.2, at a cost of $50 from
APDA.

And while we are at it, does anyone know if Alsys Ada is compatible with
System 7?  It too will need V3.2 of MPW.

Art
------------------------------------------------------------------
Arthur Evans, Jr, PhD           Ada Consultant
461 Fairview Road
Pittsburgh PA  15238-1933
412-963-0839



Tue, 22 Feb 1994 04:17:11 GMT  
 Meridian compatable with Macintosh system 7?

Quote:

> Because others may be interested in the answer I am posting
> my question on the BB.
> Is/will the Meridian Ada compiler on the Macintosh
> compatable with the Apple system 7?

The short answer is "Yes." The long answer is: You must be running
version 3.2 of MPW Shell. Also, Meridian doesn't currently support Inside
Mac VI calls. Only Vols I-V are supported in the Macintosh Environment Library.
Lastly, I have not tried it with virutal memory or 32 bit addressing
turned on. Plain, vanilla, System 7 in 24 bit mode works OK.

Chuck



Tue, 22 Feb 1994 00:13:06 GMT  
 Meridian compatable with Macintosh system 7?

|> Macintosh is compatible with Apple's new System 7.
|>
|> I too look forward to finding the answer.  However, I point out that my
|> copy of Meridian Ada came with MPW V3.1, which is NOT compatible with
|> System 7.  It is necessary to upgrade to MPW V3.2, at a cost of $50 from
|> APDA.

I bought Meridian Ada two weeks ago.  You just ask for MPW3.2 instead of 3.1;
no extra charge.



Fri, 25 Feb 1994 22:38:13 GMT  
 Meridian compatable with Macintosh system 7?

writes:

Quote:
>The short answer is "Yes." The long answer is: You must be running
>version 3.2 of MPW Shell. Also, Meridian doesn't currently support Inside
>Mac VI calls. Only Vols I-V are supported in the Macintosh Environment
Library.
>Lastly, I have not tried it with virutal memory or 32 bit addressing
>turned on. Plain, vanilla, System 7 in 24 bit mode works OK.

I too have been working in System 7/MPW 3.2, and find it works. I also have yet
to try 32 bit mode/ VM, but as Apple's VM is somewhat Russian Roullette with
code that includes fancy tricks with interrupts, I would predict that it would
be dangerous to use preemptive multitasking under VM.

On the subject of Volume VI calls, I have been informed by Meridian Tech
Support that they are not currently devoting resources to Volume VI packages. I
needed QDOffscreen, so I did it myself in about 2 hours; it compiles, but I
haven't tested whether it runs yet. I would be interested in finding out if
anyone else is upset about Meridian being so slow about System 7 support, and
if anyone else has converted header files themselves.

Jeff E Mandel MD MS
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology
Tulane University School of Medicine
New Orleans, LA



Mon, 07 Mar 1994 21:27:36 GMT  
 Meridian compatable with Macintosh system 7?

Quote:
>On the subject of Volume VI calls, I have been informed by Meridian Tech
>Support that they are not currently devoting resources to Volume VI packages. I
>needed QDOffscreen, so I did it myself in about 2 hours; it compiles, but I
>haven't tested whether it runs yet. I would be interested in finding out if
>anyone else is upset about Meridian being so slow about System 7 support, and
>if anyone else has converted header files themselves.
>Jeff E Mandel MD MS
>Associate Professor of Anesthesiology
>Tulane University School of Medicine
>New Orleans, LA

About a month ago, the Meridian sales rep who handles government/contractor
sales in Georgia told me in a phone conversation that Meridian *does not* plan
to support the Macintosh compiler any further; i.e., they will NOT devote
resources to things like support for new versions of the O/S.

His claim was that they'd only sold about 300 copies of the Mac version, and
that such a small number meant their resources would be more productively
invested elsewhere.

-Paul
--
Paul Robichaux                  | Disclaimer: These are my opinions, not NTI's



Mon, 07 Mar 1994 21:48:25 GMT  
 Meridian compatable with Macintosh system 7?

Quote:

>I have heard similar things from Meridian principals. This is really a cryin'
>shame, because Meridian has a decent Mac system as a starting point. It is
>all too typical of the Ada business that companies won't make much
>investment in developing a market.
>As an educator who likes and promotes using Ada in curricula, I hear over
>and over that one of the things really holding Ada back in education is
>the lack of a Mac system suitable for education. An MPW-based system is OK
>for serious work, but I wouldn't wish it on beginning students. The Ada
>world needs its Think Pascal or MetroWerks Modula-2. Can anyone help
>generate ideas about how we can get one? Maybe Meridian would like to
>deal their system off to someone who'd like to repackage it?
>Mike

  The *real* shame is that a well-integrated product wouldn't be that hard
  to implement. Meridian's original product for MPW generated C code
  which served as input to the MPW C compiler. They grudgingly
  implemented a native-code compiler, and did a pretty good job of
  supporting the Mac interface. I'm sorry to see their disinterest,
  because an accessable Ada compiler is critical to furthering its use
  in education. A well-educated corps of programmers is requisite for
  Ada to become widely used outside the defense & aerospace sectors.

  -Paul

Quote:
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Michael B. Feldman
>Visiting Professor 1991-92               Professor
>Dept. of Comp. Sci. and Engrg.           Dept. of Elect. Engrg. and Comp. Sci.
>University of Washington FR-35           The George Washington University
>Seattle, WA 98105                        Washington, DC 20052
>(206) 685-1376 (voice)                   (202) 994-5253 (voice)
>(206) 543-2969 (fax)                     (202) 994-5296 (fax)
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Paul Robichaux (analyst++)      | Disclaimer: These are my opinions, not NTI's



Tue, 08 Mar 1994 04:40:23 GMT  
 Meridian compatable with Macintosh system 7?

Quote:

>>On the subject of Volume VI calls, I have been informed by Meridian Tech
>>Support that they are not currently devoting resources to Volume VI packages. I
>>needed QDOffscreen, so I did it myself in about 2 hours; it compiles, but I
>>haven't tested whether it runs yet. I would be interested in finding out if
>>anyone else is upset about Meridian being so slow about System 7 support, and
>>if anyone else has converted header files themselves.

>>Jeff E Mandel MD MS
>>Associate Professor of Anesthesiology
>>Tulane University School of Medicine
>>New Orleans, LA

> About a month ago, the Meridian sales rep who handles government/contractor
> sales in Georgia told me in a phone conversation that Meridian *does not* plan
> to support the Macintosh compiler any further; i.e., they will NOT devote
> resources to things like support for new versions of the O/S.

> His claim was that they'd only sold about 300 copies of the Mac version, and
> that such a small number meant their resources would be more productively
> invested elsewhere.

> -Paul
> --
> Paul Robichaux                  | Disclaimer: These are my opinions, not NTI's


sorry, just a test of our followup function in vn.

John Hatley



Mon, 07 Mar 1994 23:52:28 GMT  
 Meridian compatable with Macintosh system 7?

Quote:

>About a month ago, the Meridian sales rep who handles government/contractor
>sales in Georgia told me in a phone conversation that Meridian *does not* plan
>to support the Macintosh compiler any further; i.e., they will NOT devote
>resources to things like support for new versions of the O/S.

>His claim was that they'd only sold about 300 copies of the Mac version, and
>that such a small number meant their resources would be more productively
>invested elsewhere.

I have heard similar things from Meridian principals. This is really a cryin'
shame, because Meridian has a decent Mac system as a starting point. It is
all too typical of the Ada business that companies won't make much
investment in developing a market.

As an educator who likes and promotes using Ada in curricula, I hear over
and over that one of the things really holding Ada back in education is
the lack of a Mac system suitable for education. An MPW-based system is OK
for serious work, but I wouldn't wish it on beginning students. The Ada
world needs its Think Pascal or MetroWerks Modula-2. Can anyone help
generate ideas about how we can get one? Maybe Meridian would like to
deal their system off to someone who'd like to repackage it?

Mike

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael B. Feldman
Visiting Professor 1991-92               Professor
Dept. of Comp. Sci. and Engrg.           Dept. of Elect. Engrg. and Comp. Sci.
University of Washington FR-35           The George Washington University
Seattle, WA 98105                        Washington, DC 20052
(206) 685-1376 (voice)                   (202) 994-5253 (voice)
(206) 543-2969 (fax)                     (202) 994-5296 (fax)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Tue, 08 Mar 1994 02:32:37 GMT  
 
 [ 9 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Meridian Compiler for Macintosh

2. Meridian Ada compiler for Macintosh

3. BIOS Emulator for 8088 non IBM Compatable system

4. Expert system kit for Windows Ada (Meridian)

5. Questions on Meridian Software Systems and i860 Boards

6. POC for Meridian Software Systems, Inc.

7. VisualWorks 2.0 not running under Macintosh system 7.5.5

8. Seeking info on a Macintosh-based Eiffel system...

9. MACH II Macintosh Fourth dev. system su

10. MACH II Macintosh Fourth dev. system su

11. MACH II Macintosh Fourth dev. system

12. Macintosh CASE Tools Updated For System 8

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software