Rumors of some commercial applications in Ada
Author Message
 Rumors of some commercial applications in Ada

************************
While researching an article on commercial
applications in Ada, I heard rumors of systems that I was unable to
verify or squash.  If you know of people or literature that
can describe the systmes, or if you know that the rumor is bogus, I
would appreciate your writing me back via e-mail.

Also, I could use a paragraph or contact for the Canadian Air Traffic
Control System and its Space exploration equipment called Aperture Radar.

Thanks in advance for your help.  Unless someone asks that I keep the
info quiet, I will post the answers to the net later.
**************************
1)  Arthur Anderson in the Midwest is rewriting an internal CASE tool in Ada.

2)  St. Luke's hospital in New York is writing an Ada application to
    monitor diseased kidneys and other organs.

3)  GE and Westinghouse are diversifying their Ada operations into the
    commercial sector, esp. medical devices.  One of them held a forum on
    this at some point.

4)  Mitsubishi and any other Japanese applications other than NTT's.

5)  Someone is making embedded medical devices in Ada, esp. a pacemaker.

6)  FAA's New York Terminal Radar Approch Control Center (not AAS).

7)  Hewlitt-Packard is writing an internal CAD system in Ada.

8)  Any Ada in manufacturing other than Volvo in Sweden or GE's steel
    mill in Weirton, WV.

9)  IntelSat Satellite

10) TRW banking system.

*******************************
Ann S. Eustice  (802) 728-9947
Ada Information Clearinghouse (IITRI)
RD 1, Box 453
Randolph Ctr., VT  05061

he sang his didn't he danced his did -- cummings
***********************************

Tue, 09 Aug 1994 21:03:42 GMT
 Rumors of some commercial applications in Ada
     As long as IBM tells the commercial world that its choice for the
object-oriented, enterprise programming language of the future is going
to be either C++ or Smalltalk inside of AD/CYCLE,  Ada is going to be as
relevant in the commerical world as Forth is in the engineering world.
Sure there will be a few large systems done in Ada, but between IBM's
public posturing about the advantages of either C++ or Smalltalk, its
commercial silence about Ada, and the effects of corporate downsizing
(i.e. adopting networks of workstations/parallel processes, all programmed
in C/C++), Ada is not going to be widely accepted, not matter how much
wishful thinking.

     The Mosemann studies were very flawed in ignoring the entire commercial
side of software.  Most of the major players (IBM,UNISYS,DEC,X-ers,etc) are
all championing languages other than Ada.  The result will be growing supplies
of C/C++/Smalltalk programmers, and growing supplies of C/C++/Smalltalk
libraries of reusable codes, at the expense of creating such a supply for
Ada, no matter how great one might think Ada is.  The long term results is
that the costs for developing software in these languages will go down, the
costs in Ada will go up (crossing somewhere in this decade), and thatthe
Ada world will miss out on technology developed in other languages.

     For those interested in the latest draft of a critique of the Mosemann
studies (which I have now read), please email me.  My criqitue focuses on
how these reports ignored large aspects of the commercial world (in particular
the major STARS players commercial divisions championing everything but Ada).

Greg Aharonian
Source Translation & Optimization

Tue, 09 Aug 1994 23:31:55 GMT
 Rumors of some commercial applications in Ada

Quote:

>      As long as IBM tells the commercial world that its choice for the
> object-oriented, enterprise programming language of the future is going
> to be either C++ or Smalltalk inside of AD/CYCLE,  Ada is going to be as
> relevant in the commerical world as Forth is in the engineering world.

I agree about the lack of marketing, but the fact is, I'm currently using
IBM's ADA compiler on the RS 6000, and I like it.  The RS 6000 is IBM's
mainline workstation for the networked downsized computing world of the
future, and they are as easy to program in ADA as they are to program in
(cough) C.
                                        Doug Jones

Wed, 10 Aug 1994 00:49:55 GMT

1. Rumors of some commercial applications in Ada

2. Rumors of price change on Alsys First Ada

3. Lisp Fact/Rumors (Was Lisp,Ada,Flames)

4. Ada in Medical Devices: was RE: Inexpensive Developer Level Commercial ADA compile

5. Commercial CFW applications

6. using a functional language for a commercial application

7. language for commercial applications on Windows?

8. Large commercial application

9. Commercial application developed using Oberon??

10. Commercial Applications written in Eiffel ?

11. can anyone tell me about any commercial applications written in eiffel ?(for polytech report)

12. Commercial applications using an embedded lisp ?