Named Pipe (FIFO) on Win NT
Author Message
 Named Pipe (FIFO) on Win NT

I am trying to port an app from Unix to Win NT (Gnat Ada).
The app uses Named Pipes to send data between programs.
Have not been able to find  "mkfifo" or a Windows equivalent to use.

Is there an easy way to do this? It does not need to be elegant or
bullet-proof.
(The Win NT version is for development and test only.)

Thanks,
Peter

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 05:10:48 GMT
 Named Pipe (FIFO) on Win NT

Quote:

>I am trying to port an app from Unix to Win NT (Gnat Ada).
>The app uses Named Pipes to send data between programs.
>Have not been able to find  "mkfifo" or a Windows equivalent to use.

>Is there an easy way to do this? It does not need to be elegant or
>bullet-proof.
>(The Win NT version is for development and test only.)

You do not use mkfifo on windows nt. You have to create the named pipe in
your own program. Search microsoft.com or their developer site for
documentation.

Greetings,

Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:46:00 GMT
 Named Pipe (FIFO) on Win NT

Quote:
>I am trying to port an app from Unix to Win NT (Gnat Ada).
>The app uses Named Pipes to send data between programs.
>Have not been able to find  "mkfifo" or a Windows equivalent to use.

>Is there an easy way to do this? It does not need to be elegant or
>bullet-proof.
>(The Win NT version is for development and test only.)

>Thanks,
>Peter

You can try with CreateNamedPipe WinAPI function.
Header file: winbase.h
Import library: kernel32.lib

Other function, that can be useful:
CallNamedPipe, ConnectNamedPipe, CreateNamedPipe, CreatePipe,
DisconnectNamedPipe, GetNamedPipeHandleState, GetNamedPipeInfo,
PeekNamedPipe, SetNamedPipeHandleState, TransactNamedPipe,
WaitNamedPipe

You can find more info in MSDN

Vinnie

Sat, 15 Nov 2003 00:09:35 GMT
 Named Pipe (FIFO) on Win NT
Check on my web page (http://www.mcondic.com/) on the "Ada Programming"
sub-page. I have an example there of how to create a named pipe on WinNT
with Ada.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

Web:      http://www.mcondic.com/

Quote:
> I am trying to port an app from Unix to Win NT (Gnat Ada).
> The app uses Named Pipes to send data between programs.
> Have not been able to find  "mkfifo" or a Windows equivalent to use.

> Is there an easy way to do this? It does not need to be elegant or
> bullet-proof.
> (The Win NT version is for development and test only.)

> Thanks,
> Peter

Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:19:33 GMT

1. exec and piping under Win 95 / NT

2. VW2 connect to Oracle using Named Pipes (NT 3.5)

3. Named Pipes - PL/1- Windows NT

4. avoid a blocking operation on a (named) pipe / timeout on a pipe

5. WIN NT (user name) and CLipper

6. Printer name under Win NT/2000

7. EOF detection and FIFO 'pipes'

8. named FIFO, clarification.

9. Named FIFO

10. Win NT or Win 2000 Server?

11. Max Connections to Win NT workstation / Win 2000 pro

12. Image viewing program won't work on Win NT