GNAT + gcc + g77 (GNU Fortran)
Author Message
 GNAT + gcc + g77 (GNU Fortran)

I need to install GNAT + gcc + g77 together, so that Ada, C and fortran
can be used in mixed language mode. Neither of the README/INSTALL files
gives any information on how to achieve this. g77 requires a source
version of gcc for installation, but GNAT has its own gcc. How do I
bring the three together?

Has anybody ever installed these three GNU products together and can
give me a hint?

Franz

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 GNAT + gcc + g77 (GNU Fortran)

Quote:

>I need to install GNAT + gcc + g77 together, so that Ada, C and Fortran
>can be used in mixed language mode. Neither of the README/INSTALL files
>gives any information on how to achieve this. g77 requires a source
>version of gcc for installation, but GNAT has its own gcc. How do I
>bring the three together?

>Has anybody ever installed these three GNU products together and can
>give me a hint?

This combination has not been tested, and you should install two
compilers separately, one with Ada and C (GNAT) and one with
FORTRAN and C. The same is the case for C++ and Ada.

This does not stop you from making programs with all three
languages. You can still compile and link C, C++, Ada and FORTRAN
into one program with these compilers. Earlier posts on this group
tell how to combine code compiled with g77 and GNAT.

--

ln -s /dev/null ~/.netscape/cookies

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 GNAT + gcc + g77 (GNU Fortran)

Quote:

> I need to install GNAT + gcc + g77 together, so that Ada, C and Fortran
> can be used in mixed language mode. Neither of the README/INSTALL files
> gives any information on how to achieve this. g77 requires a source
> version of gcc for installation, but GNAT has its own gcc. How do I
> bring the three together?

You probably need both a gcc+gnat (2.8.1) and a separate gcc+f77
(2.95.?). For one way of achieving this, see
http://www.pogner.demon.co.uk/gnatfe/

I can't speak for f77, but gcc+c++ 2.95.2 code mixes well with
gcc+gnat 2.8.1.

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 GNAT + gcc + g77 (GNU Fortran)

Quote:

> I need to install GNAT + gcc + g77 together, so that Ada, C and Fortran
> can be used in mixed language mode. Neither of the README/INSTALL files
> gives any information on how to achieve this. g77 requires a source
> version of gcc for installation, but GNAT has its own gcc. How do I
> bring the three together?

I haven't tried this myself, but there are three options for
installing GNAT from a binary distribution.  Option 1 is:

  1) Install GNAT-specific files on top of an existing GCC 2.8.1
     installation (must be in standard locations -- will likely
     require root permission).

So, it appears that you can install gcc, configured with g77, in
"standard locations" (for SPARC Solaris, this means /opt/gnu), and
then install GNAT on top of that.  There's no option to install
GNAT-specific files on top of an existing GCC 2.8.1 in, say,
/usr/local.

As others have pointed out, you can also combine object files from
different versions of gcc, such as GNAT's 2.8.1 and the more recent
2.95.2.

--

San Diego Supercomputer Center           <*>  <http://www.sdsc.edu/~kst>
Welcome to the last year of the 20th century.

Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. GCC with G77 and GNAT: any successes

2. GCC with G77 and GNAT: any successes

3. GCC (G77 Fortran Compiler)

4. Fortran and C via g77/gcc on Linux

5. Fortran + C on Alpha/Linux (g77+gcc) ?

6. Fortran and Linux, gcc-2.7.2 and g77-0.5.18

7. GNAT gcc and regular gcc

8. GNU g77 FORTRAN compiler witten in C?

9. sound with fortran (gnu g77)

10. GNU Fortran (g77) Version 0.5.18 Released

11. graphics with g77 GNU fortran compiler

12. Gnu fortran on alpha computer and g77 vs fort77