How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
Author Message
 How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

Help!
I'm new to this conference.  I've bought an ADA book, for those of you
interested it is called,'Ada 95 from the beginning by SKANSHOLM'

Now all I need is a compiler? or interpreter? (pref. free)
Some nice fellow please direct me!

Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:55:36 GMT
 How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

Quote:

> Now all I need is a compiler? or interpreter? (pref. free)

None. Ada is used by software engineers, not programmers.

One free Ada compiler is GNAT, available from

ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/

The most recent free version is 3.14p. Other vendors supply free
evaluation/student versions of their compilers, also.

--
Jeff Carter
"I blow my nose on you."

Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:16:41 GMT
 How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

Quote:

>> Now all I need is a compiler? or interpreter? (pref. free)

>None. Ada is used by software engineers, not programmers.

>One free Ada compiler is GNAT, available from

>ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/

>The most recent free version is 3.14p. Other vendors supply free
>evaluation/student versions of their compilers, also.

As you would know if you'd bothered to carry out a search on Google
groups. See
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=free%20compiler&as_ugroup=comp.l...

Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:45:04 GMT
 How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

Quote:

> >> Now all I need is a compiler? or interpreter? (pref. free)

> >None. Ada is used by software engineers, not programmers.

> >One free Ada compiler is GNAT, available from

> >ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/

> >The most recent free version is 3.14p. Other vendors supply free
> >evaluation/student versions of their compilers, also.

> As you would know if you'd bothered to carry out a search on Google
> groups. See
> http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=free%20compiler&as_ugroup=comp.l...

Hey y'all!  Lighten up!  Being snitty is hardly the way to endear a new
Ada programmer to the language or this news group!  Sheesh!

Gavin, if you're running Linux, there are ready-to-go RPMs for GNAT and
associated development tools at www.gnuada.org.

Marc A. Criley
Consultant
Quadrus Corporation
www.quadruscorp.com

Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:42:38 GMT
 How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

Quote:

> Help!
> I'm new to this conference.  I've bought an ADA book, for those of you
> interested it is called,'Ada 95 from the beginning by SKANSHOLM'

The language is called Ada as it is a name (not ADA).

Quote:
> Now all I need is a compiler? or interpreter? (pref. free)

You don't say what OS you want to use, but go to www.adapower.net. You
will find a lot of information there.

--
Preben Randhol         ?For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.?

Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:40:26 GMT
 How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:42:38 GMT, "Marc A. Criley"

Quote:

>> >None. Ada is used by software engineers, not programmers.

>> >One free Ada compiler is GNAT, available from

>> >ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/

>> >The most recent free version is 3.14p. Other vendors supply free
>> >evaluation/student versions of their compilers, also.

>> As you would know if you'd bothered to carry out a search on Google
>> groups. See
>> http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=free%20compiler&as_ugroup=comp.l...

>Hey y'all!  Lighten up!  Being snitty is hardly the way to endear a new
>Ada programmer to the language or this news group!  Sheesh!

So just how many times have you answered this question? Wouldn't you
prefer it if (given that you've answered it so many times in the past)
you didn't have to answer it again?

If the OP didn't know about Google Groups, then they do now so at
least I've been informative. If they did know about Google Groups then
they should have checked for what is most definitely a FAQ!

Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:13:41 GMT
 How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

Quote:

> If the OP didn't know about Google Groups, then they do now so at
> least I've been informative. If they did know about Google Groups then
> they should have checked for what is most definitely a FAQ!

Well and if nobody answer this question from time to time the Goodle Groups
answer would be:

  You can use the latest GNAT compiler from Nov 1998 - bleeding edge
  technologie that is under active developement. Be sure to also check
  the Ada Home web site for recent information.

A search is a search and only retreive what as been said :)

Pascal.

--| Pascal Obry                           Team-Ada Member
--|         http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry
--|

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 03:07:51 GMT
 How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
Good point, Marc. We ought to be patient with the newbies as we were all
once newbies ourselves - and it helps make Ada a better experience for the
newbies if we can be as helpful as possible.

In case nobody else mentions it, the best place to start looking for
resources relating to Ada programming is: http://www.adapower.com/ You can
find books, compilers, tutorials, source code, important links, etc there
that will help you get started with Ada. Generally, you can find help with
specific programming problems here so long as you are not trying to get
someone to do your homework and you post a question that is specific enough
to be readily addressed. (A small code example, the software/hardware
platform you're working with, the compiler/version you're using, etc.)

Good luck!

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

Web:      http://www.mcondic.com/

Quote:

> Hey y'all!  Lighten up!  Being snitty is hardly the way to endear a new
> Ada programmer to the language or this news group!  Sheesh!

> Gavin, if you're running Linux, there are ready-to-go RPMs for GNAT and
> associated development tools at www.gnuada.org.

Fri, 30 Jul 2004 22:45:53 GMT
 How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

Quote:

> A search is a search and only retreive what as been said :)

> Pascal.

And it is indeed the case that a search for Ada 95 yields
adahome at the top, which is too bad since as far as I know
this site is completely unmaintained apart from being kept
around and getting more and more obsolete.

If I am wrong, and adahome has jumped back into active
maintenance status, then I apologize and welcome the news,
but in that case the maintainers have a LOT of catching
up work to do.

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 10:24:43 GMT
 How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
Who were the original maintainers? Is it possible to
contact them and perhaps give maintenance over to some
other voluteers? Its the first site that comes up in
just about any search.

Quote:

> > A search is a search and only retreive what as
> been said :)

> > Pascal.

> And it is indeed the case that a search for Ada 95
> yields
> adahome at the top, which is too bad since as far as
> I know
> this site is completely unmaintained apart from
> being kept
> around and getting more and more obsolete.

> If I am wrong, and adahome has jumped back into
> active
> maintenance status, then I apologize and welcome the
> news,
> but in that case the maintainers have a LOT of
> catching
> up work to do.
http://greetings.yahoo.com

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:32:01 GMT
 How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

Quote:
>And it is indeed the case that a search for Ada 95 yields
>adahome at the top,

On Google Groups? I don't think so!

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:56:02 GMT
 How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

Quote:
>Well and if nobody answer this question from time to time the Goodle Groups
>answer would be:
>  You can use the latest GNAT compiler from Nov 1998 - bleeding edge
>  technologie that is under active developement. Be sure to also check
>  the Ada Home web site for recent information.

As you are no doubt aware, GNAT has been available at
ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat for a very long time now, so the fact that
someone suggested looking there for a November 1998 release is
probably still fairly valid. Besides, what version of GNAT was current
in 1998? Is it *so* much different from now? Doesn't the newsgroup
have a FAQ that could be referred to?

I have to admit I was in the same position when I started using
newsgroups - I had no idea there was somewhere you could look to see
what had already been posted (DejaNews then), but that was 8 years or
so ago and there were not that many references in magazines and
suchlike to useful sites.

Anyway - I don't really want to continue this as an argument - it's
just that I've spent the last few weeks seeing newsgroup articles
asking exactly the same question I asked only 3 or 4 weeks before and
I'm a bit frustrated.

So I'm sorry - OK?

Slainthe
John

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 19:06:01 GMT
 How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

Quote:

> Help!
> I'm new to this conference.  I've bought an ADA book, for those of you
> interested it is called,'Ada 95 from the beginning by SKANSHOLM'

> Now all I need is a compiler? or interpreter? (pref. free)
> Some nice fellow please direct me!

You might find it worthwhile looking here:
  http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/language/ada/.
There's a selection of compilers, development tools, useful packages,
tutorials and reference material all in one place, and links to
where they originally came from.

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:21:01 GMT
 How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
Q: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

A: About half as many as the number of C++ programmers required.
Furthermore, the bulb tends to last much longer before needing to be
changed again. Also, it's almost unheard of for the bulb not to fit the
socket.

;-)

--
Nick Roberts

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 08:32:19 GMT
 How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

Quote:

> Q: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

> A: About half as many as the number of C++ programmers required.
> Furthermore, the bulb tends to last much longer before needing to be
> changed again. Also, it's almost unheard of for the bulb not to fit the
> socket.

But it requires a power saw to open up the container so that
you can take the light bulb out. Then the discarded packing
material fills up your whole trash bin. :-)

Tue, 03 Aug 2004 04:04:37 GMT

 [ 20 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. lighting Ive done / do you know other (complex) lighting examples

2. *Light Bulb List Members* - humor

3. The light bulb goes on...

4. How Many COBOL Programs Does It Take To Change A Light Bulb?

5. php.ini changes not taking

6. Changing DISPLAY takes effect?

7. X-Lock lights, changing - using the Kb controller.

8. Economical/cheap bicycle light? Re: Bicycle Lighting

9. Economical/cheap bicycle light? Re: Bicycle Lighting

10. Turn the lights of/Light behaviour

11. Ada takes control of Internet Explorer

12. Changing date format when doing MySQL query?