GNAT 3.07 v. GNAT 3.09
Author Message
 GNAT 3.07 v. GNAT 3.09

Being new to Ada, I downloaded the GNAT 3.09 binaries for Linux and tried
to compile TASH 7.6.  On almost every body file, the compiler exited with
a message regarding an internal bug in GNAT.  However, it did compile
everything in its distribution (dining philosophers, etc.).  I then
download GNAT 3.07 and TASH 7.6 compiled clean.  Is 3.07 generally more
stable than 3.09 or is this problem caused be something else?

                                           _||_              ____
  For every complex problem, there is a    -||-             /o   \/
  solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. ||  David Curry \____/\

Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 GNAT 3.07 v. GNAT 3.09

<<Being new to Ada, I downloaded the GNAT 3.09 binaries for Linux and tried
to compile TASH 7.6.  On almost every body file, the compiler exited with
a message regarding an internal bug in GNAT.  However, it did compile
everything in its distribution (dining philosophers, etc.).  I then
download GNAT 3.07 and TASH 7.6 compiled clean.  Is 3.07 generally more
stable than 3.09 or is this problem caused be something else?>>

3.09 is generally much MORE stable than 3.07 (and fixes a lot of problems
as well as providing lots of new functionality). The kind of discrepancy
you mention might be a real bug that happens to show up in 3.09, or it
might be a result of misinstalling 3.09, or it might just be something
else odd ... it is impossible to say without more details. As always,
if you get an internal bug in GNAT, if you want the GNAT team to look

to format the bug report into the form described in gnatinfo.txt.

--
Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 GNAT 3.07 v. GNAT 3.09

I have had no problem using TASH 7.6 on Solaris-x86 with Gnat 3.03.
After reading David's post, I tried to compile TASH at home on my Linux
(Slackware 96, kernel 2.0.O) platform with Gnat 3.09.  For the package
tcl-ada.adb, Gnat prints out a "please post a bug report" kind of
message as he described. I think that the line referred to as the
problem in the TASH source is an overloaded (thick) function body in a
generic package with one version of the routine the (thin) imported C
function and the other version an Ada wrapper for the same function.

I have not spent much time trying to investigate this or checked for
anything posted to gnat.chat yet.  Has anyone else tried to use Gnat
3.09 with Tash 7.6?

Quote:

> I downloaded the GNAT 3.09 binaries for Linux and tried
> to compile TASH 7.6.  On almost every body file, the compiler exited with
> a message regarding an internal bug in GNAT.    I then
> download GNAT 3.07 and TASH 7.6 compiled clean.

Ron House

Sat, 25 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE : Win32Ada patch for GNAT 3.09 and GNAT 3.10a (Windows 95/NT)

2. GNAT 3.07 MsDos/DJGPP bug report to whom?

3. gnat 3.07

4. Problem with installing GNAT 3.07

5. Debugging Generics with GNAT 3.07

6. UNIX Texteditor for GNAT Ada95 3.07