Announce: HPUX-11 Binaries for GNAT-3.14p/3.15p Available (and HOWTO)
Author Message
 Announce: HPUX-11 Binaries for GNAT-3.14p/3.15p Available (and HOWTO)

Since there has been no HPUX binaries emerging in the public
(that I know of) for GNAT-3.14p/3.15p, I took on the
"guantlet" myself, and after some struggling, succeeded.
The process is amazingly problematic under HPUX, and
without root access, becomes even more of a challenge.

Because both of these compilers are still based upon GCC 2.8.1,
they and the code the generate cannot link against shared
libraries under HPUX. We'll have to stay tuned for the
new crop of GCC 3.x compilers for that. ;-)

I have created a PDF document that describes in detail how
to get past all of those build problems,
without the need for root access. The document is
available on my website (below).

I also have binary distributions for GNAT-3.14p and 3.15p
available to share, but I don't have enough space on my
website to host them there (they are about 16MB each).

These install under /opt/gnu/gnat-3.14p (or 3.15p), but
with the help of environment variables can be installed
anywhere else (including your home directory).  Email me
if you want them, and have a ftp site for me to upload
them to. They are too large to email.

I would also like to contribute these to the ftp.cs.nyu.edu
ftp site, but I did not see any documentation on who I
should contact. If someone can point me to the
correct party, I'll see if I can make them available there.

For the PDF document, see my website (Click on the
Software 'n Tools picture).

Warren.
--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~ve3wwg

Fri, 08 Jul 2005 07:00:31 GMT
 Announce: HPUX-11 Binaries for GNAT-3.14p/3.15p Available (and HOWTO)

 > I would also like to contribute these to the ftp.cs.nyu.edu
 > ftp site, but I did not see any documentation on who I
 > should contact. If someone can point me to the
 > correct party, I'll see if I can make them available there.

When installing 3.15p, a directory "examples" is provided
which is NOT part of the actual tool tree ("/usr/gnat/...").

In the "examples" directory is a README.

*MY* interpretation of this README suggests that any

Hope this helps and I applaud your porting efforts (even though
I don't use HPUX).

-- Merge vertically for real address
--
------------------------------------

--  k i e k c c m
------------------------------------

Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:25:00 GMT
 Announce: HPUX-11 Binaries for GNAT-3.14p/3.15p Available (and HOWTO)

Quote:

>  > I would also like to contribute these to the ftp.cs.nyu.edu
>  > ftp site, but I did not see any documentation on who I
>  > should contact. If someone can point me to the
>  > correct party, I'll see if I can make them available there.

> When installing 3.15p, a directory "examples" is provided
> which is NOT part of the actual tool tree ("/usr/gnat/...").

> In the "examples" directory is a README.

> *MY* interpretation of this README suggests that any

The context seems to suggest that the contributions are
"example programs". However, I'll drop a line there to
see what develops.

Quote:
> Hope this helps and I applaud your porting efforts (even though
> I don't use HPUX).

Thanks, Warren.
--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg

Fri, 08 Jul 2005 21:36:09 GMT
 Announce: HPUX-11 Binaries for GNAT-3.14p/3.15p Available (and HOWTO)

 > The context ...

... yeah, except that a while back I searched through
every document I had relating to Gnat for contact
points.

The only reference I found was in the examples/README to

PS. I hope you don't think I was RTFMing you. After installing
Gnat, I normally zap the installatkion tree and the examples
get zapped along with it. I suspect most other people do to.

-- Merge vertically for real address
--
------------------------------------

--  k i e k c c m
------------------------------------

Sat, 09 Jul 2005 00:00:13 GMT
 Announce: HPUX-11 Binaries for GNAT-3.14p/3.15p Available (and HOWTO)

Quote:

>  > The context ...

> ... yeah, except that a while back I searched through
> every document I had relating to Gnat for contact
> points.

> The only reference I found was in the examples/README to

I did get a reply from the email robot.. we'll see what
the humans have to say later ;-)

Quote:
> PS. I hope you don't think I was RTFMing you. After installing
> Gnat, I normally zap the installatkion tree and the examples
> get zapped along with it. I suspect most other people do to.

No, not at all. I knew what you meant. I have to admit
though, that I didn't look at the examples, or the
README there.

--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg

Sat, 09 Jul 2005 06:07:26 GMT
 Announce: HPUX-11 Binaries for GNAT-3.14p/3.15p Available (and HOWTO)

Quote:
> Since there has been no HPUX binaries emerging in the public
> (that I know of) for GNAT-3.14p/3.15p, I took on the
> "guantlet" myself, and after some struggling, succeeded.
> The process is amazingly problematic under HPUX, and
> without root access, becomes even more of a challenge.

Applause!

Quote:
> Because both of these compilers are still based upon GCC 2.8.1,
> they and the code the generate cannot link against shared
> libraries under HPUX. We'll have to stay tuned for the
> new crop of GCC 3.x compilers for that. ;-)

The last time I tried you needed to bootstrap the GCC3 series using
GCC3 or gnat-3.14p (13 may work but 15 doesn't).

-S

Sat, 09 Jul 2005 13:18:43 GMT
 Announce: HPUX-11 Binaries for GNAT-3.14p/3.15p Available (and HOWTO)

Quote:

>>Since there has been no HPUX binaries emerging in the public
>>(that I know of) for GNAT-3.14p/3.15p, I took on the
>>"guantlet" myself, and after some struggling, succeeded.
>>The process is amazingly problematic under HPUX, and
>>without root access, becomes even more of a challenge.

> Applause!

>>Because both of these compilers are still based upon GCC 2.8.1,
>>they and the code the generate cannot link against shared
>>libraries under HPUX. We'll have to stay tuned for the
>>new crop of GCC 3.x compilers for that. ;-)

> The last time I tried you needed to bootstrap the GCC3 series using
> GCC3 or gnat-3.14p (13 may work but 15 doesn't).

> -S

I think I'll wait a little season longer for the GCC3 series..
I need a rest ;-)

--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg

Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:18:28 GMT
 Announce: HPUX-11 Binaries for GNAT-3.14p/3.15p Available (and HOWTO)

Quote:

> >  > The context ...

> > ... yeah, except that a while back I searched through
> > every document I had relating to Gnat for contact
> > points.

> > The only reference I found was in the examples/README to

> I did get a reply from the email robot.. we'll see what
> the humans have to say later ;-)

That's what I did for the OS/2 binaries and I _was_ contacted
later by a human. You might have problem though since I was told
that I could not upload to the site and that I had to make them
available for him to download.

Cheers,
Dave

Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:41:42 GMT
 Announce: HPUX-11 Binaries for GNAT-3.14p/3.15p Available (and HOWTO)

Quote:

>>>... yeah, except that a while back I searched through
>>>every document I had relating to Gnat for contact
>>>points.

>>>The only reference I found was in the examples/README to

>>I did get a reply from the email robot.. we'll see what
>>the humans have to say later ;-)

> That's what I did for the OS/2 binaries and I _was_ contacted
> later by a human. You might have problem though since I was told
> that I could not upload to the site and that I had to make them
> available for him to download.

> Cheers,
> Dave

them now at the following location:

   http://www.vmsdatanet.co.uk/gnat

Later on, I'll post links from my own web site to these.

Thanks Graham!

Warren.
--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg

Sun, 10 Jul 2005 03:53:57 GMT

1. ANN: GNAT 3.15p binary for OS/2 available

2. ANNOUNCE: GNAT 3.15p release

3. ANNOUNCE: GNAT 3.15p release

4. ACT announces availability of GNAT 3.14p

5. ANN: gnat-3.14p rpms available for Red Hat 7

6. ANN: Gnat 3.14p for OS/2 available

7. ANNOUNCE: FXRuby-1.0.11 Now Available

8. ANNOUNCE: RPM for jstools-1998.11.04 available

9. ANNOUNCE: moodss-11.11

10. Problem building oratcl 3.2 on HPUX 11

11. looking for tcl/expect for HPUX 11

12. TCl 7.6 and HPUX 11.x