Ada vs real-world programming languages
Author Message
 Ada vs real-world programming languages

From the 29 Sep 89 post by Bill Wolfe:

        > As a software engineer, I strongly believe in the Ada dream.
        > But there have been big problems associated with realizing
        > that dream.

        > . . .  Is the DoD *really* committed to making Ada the
        > primary vehicle of software engineering technology?

        > . . .  However, it is extremely frustrating to see people
        > choosing C++ and Eiffel instead of Ada because of this
        > ten-year revision cycle

     Putting myself in the position of an Air Force pilot, I should
imagine I would want my own computer science to be at least as good as
that available to representatives of the Soviet armed forces for $150 at
any B Dalton's store.  I mean, if I were the guy getting into machine
gun and rocket fights at 1600 mph and someone told me that my machine
guns and rockets were functioning less reliably and/or 100 times slower
than the other guy's because his people bought a copy of Zortech's C++
compiler at Dalton's for $150 while my guys were out spending $10
Billion on Ada, I'd take the next load of bombs and rockets they gave me
to test out and test them out on the Ada PMO.  I'm surprised it hasn't
been done.

Ted Holden,  HTE

Fri, 19 Mar 1993 14:40:00 GMT
 Ada vs real-world programming languages
Quote:

> From the 29 Sep 89 post by Bill Wolfe:
>         > . . .  However, it is extremely frustrating to see people
>         > choosing C++ and Eiffel instead of Ada because of this
>         > ten-year revision cycle
> if ... someone told me that my machine guns and rockets were functioning
> less reliably and/or 100 times slower [because of not using C++]

       ^^^^^^^^

If your avionics software is written in Ada and the other guy's is written
in C++, it would be rather surprising if your avionics software were less
reliable.  I have long been of the opinion that Ada was too big a language
(just look at the Approved Language Commentaries), but C++ is not usefully
simpler.  There is no C++ Compiler Validation suite ...

Mon, 19 Apr 1993 02:47:00 GMT
 Ada vs real-world programming languages

Quote:
>      Putting myself in the position of an Air Force pilot, I should
> imagine I would want my own computer science to be at least as good as
> that available to representatives of the Soviet armed forces for $150 at
> any B Dalton's store.  I mean, if I were the guy getting into machine
> gun and rocket fights at 1600 mph and someone told me that my machine

% guns and rockets were functioning less reliably and/or 100 times slower
% than the other guy's because his people bought a copy of Zortech's C++
% compiler at Dalton's for $150 while my guys were out spending $10
% Billion on Ada, I'd take the next load of bombs and rockets they gave me
% to test out and test them out on the Ada PMO.  I'm surprised it hasn't
% been done.

    Ada is BETTER than C++, even without inheritance.  The optimizing
    compilers available for Ada outperform even C compilers, and there
    is MUCH more reliability in Ada-based software systems.  If you'd
    like to discuss it further, simply meet me over in comp.lang.misc.

Mon, 19 Apr 1993 01:24:00 GMT
 Ada vs real-world programming languages

If I were in said dogfight, and about to launch a $1,000,000 missle in
hopes of staying alive, I'd rather not hear that my missle has obsolete
software because its programmed in C++ and the latest version is
coded in Eiffel, even if someone saved a few bucks on compilers.

Also, I doubt that code written in C++ is faster or more reliable than
the same program written in Ada.

Mike Ryer

Mon, 19 Apr 1993 14:43:00 GMT
 Ada vs real-world programming languages
Quote:

> Also, I doubt that code written in C++ is faster or more reliable than
> the same program written in Ada.

Right on!
Even if C++ object code ran faster or more reliably than Ada (unlikely),
are there available C++ compilers that cross-target to my favorite
bare-chip-on-a-special-board missile or avionics processor?  E.g.,
68020, 1750A, or 386?  My guess is that I'd have to figure out a way to
stuff a PC or a Sun in my missile (if I wanted C++).

Mon, 19 Apr 1993 19:41:00 GMT

1. Ada vs real-world programming languages

2. Ada vs real-world programming langu

3. Ada versus a real-world programming language

4. Functional Languages in the real world (was Re: Uses for scheme)

5. Languages in the the REAL world -- Listing

6. Functional Languages in the real world (was Re: Uses for scheme)

7. LISP in the Ada-mandated world (was Re: perl in an Ada-mandated world)

8. "real world" functional programming

9. Functional Programming in the Real World

10. Functional programming in the real world?

11. Workshop on Functional Programming in the Real World

12. TriZPUG January Meeting: Current - Exploring a real world program