Ada 95 & MIL-STD 498
Author Message
 Ada 95 & MIL-STD 498

Hello Ada Fans.

I have a client who is using Object-Oriented Design implemented
in Ada 95.  Is there anyone out there with experience or ideas
on documenting OO Ada 95 under MIL-STD 498?

I would think this question is of general interest so post any

Thanks!

Vance

Vance Christiaanse
Cintech Consulting

Wed, 14 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Ada 95 & MIL-STD 498

Responding to the question how to document under Mil Std 498:

If the contract really demands 498 documentation, then try tailoring 498
(498 shows you how) to eliminate most of the documents, and only
write the documents needed to maintain the system. Do not produce
incorrect documents. Instead of traceability matrices and cross
references, deliver a tool that produces these automatically from the
spec and the code. Instead of elaborate test plans, deliver an automated
test for each unit and for each spec requirement. Instead of design
documents give the entire data flow (including all aliasing), the
preconditions and postconditions of all units, the invariants for all
loops, the timings and sizings for all parallel structures (tasks,
etc.). The most important documentation for software is the full source
code including all library and run-time code used. The most important
advice above is not to produce incorrect documents. Never deliver
paper copies of these documents, only on-line documents in simple
text format or hyperlinked text. Do not pretty them up with word
processors, but a little html is acceptible (only to put in the links).
Use a consistent format for paragraph numbers and page numbers so
other programs can parse the text of your documents. Finally,
subcontract out the documentation to someone else.

Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Ada 95 & MIL-STD 498

Vance,

I have a lot of experience working on MIL-STD-498 projects both for Ada &
Non-Ada projects. I also edited a report on using 498's predecessor,
DOD-STD-2167A and Ada, for the SigADA ACM.

For upcoming training and other services available, you can check out:
http://members.aol.com/MaiborD/intro.html

David S. Maibor, President
DAVID MAIBOR ASSOCIATES, Inc.
P.O. Box 846
Needham, MA 02194 USA
Tel: (617) 449-6554
FAX: (617) 455-8928

<<Hello Ada Fans.

I have a client who is using Object-Oriented Design implemented
in Ada 95.  Is there anyone out there with experience or ideas
on documenting OO Ada 95 under MIL-STD 498?

I would think this question is of general interest so post any

Thanks!

Vance

Vance Christiaanse
Cintech Consulting

Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Ada 95 & MIL-STD 498

Quote:

> Hello Ada Fans.

> I have a client who is using Object-Oriented Design implemented
> in Ada 95.  Is there anyone out there with experience or ideas
> on documenting OO Ada 95 under MIL-STD 498?

> I would think this question is of general interest so post any

> Thanks!

> Vance

> Vance Christiaanse
> Cintech Consulting

MIL-STD 498 describes a process for developing software independent of the
language or methodology used to implement a set of requirements.  If you were
adding an addition to your house, you would select a contractor, solicit a set
of plans, review the blueprints, agree on the criteria for judging quality and
completeness, give the OK, monitor the work, and check the results.  498 is
meant to be a simple yet comprehensive model for performing "contracted"
software.  I feel the key to understanding 498 is given in the definition of a
requirement.  To paraphrase "include the capabilities that the software must
possess in order for the software to be acceptable, defer to design the
capabilities that the customer doesn't care about."  Its simple, lets agree on
what needs to be done, demonstrate to me that you have indeed done it.  Add a
little boilerplate stuff...498.

Sat, 17 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. MIL-STD-973 & MIL-STD-498 issue

2. Should MIL-STD-498 replace DOD-STD-2167A?

3. MIL-STD-498 & ISO 12207 Seminar

4. MIL-STD-498

5. MIL-STD-498

6. MIL-STD-498 FAQ - Part 1

7. MIL-STD-498 Broadcast

8. MIL-STD-498 Broadcast

9. MIL-STD-498 TUTORIAL

10. MIL-STD-498 Electronic Availability

11. MIL-STD-498 TRAINING

12. US-FL, Orlando - Ada developers/ Mil-Stds 2167A and 498