gnat hppa
Author Message
 gnat hppa

Hi folks,

I _have_ to use Ada for a project. So I installed gnat on my computer: hpux 10.20,

hp735 (hppa 1.1). gnat seems to be able to compile there just hello_world - like

programs. larger programs don't compile (internal gnat error). the same programs

compile under sparc solaris and intel linux. that is not just one program that causes

trouble. say 1 out of 10.

i have tried gnat-3.10 3.11 and 3.12 with -O0, -O1 or -O2. all fail to compile complex programs.

i have tried the binaries for that machine that are available on the internet,

i have compiled these three versions by myself, too. now i am running out of

ideas (i just have one more idea: compiling gnat with other versions of gcc

than 2.8.1 ... i am not too optimistic. do the gnat patches work with newer

versions of gcc/egcs anyway?)

has somebody any experience with gnat on hpux?

--

STEFAN

                                                         _____
                                                        /    /\
  Stefan Schaeckeler               Computer Science    /    /  \
                                                      /    /    \
  Email:                           University of     /    /  /\  \

                                   Germany         /    /  /\   \  \
                                                  /    /  /  \   \  \
                                                 /    /__/____\   \  \
  World Wide Web:                      http://  /              \   \  \
  rupert.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/~schaecsn /________________\   \  \
                                               \                     \  \
                                                \_____________________\ /

Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 gnat hppa
Quote:

> Hi folks,

> I _have_ to use Ada for a project. So I installed gnat on my computer: hpux 10.20,

> hp735 (hppa 1.1). gnat seems to be able to compile there just hello_world - like

> programs. larger programs don't compile (internal gnat error). the same programs

I have encountered similar problems when compiling very large package
specs with long "with" chains. My suspicion is that it may have had
something to do with dynamic memory allocation. I had the system
administrator bump up the size of the page file and shot any other
running applications in the head and it seemed to get better.
Periodically, it would rear its ugly head again and logging out and
logging back in (again with no other running applications) and it would
fooling with the amount of available virtual memory seemed to help it
out. The GNAT compiler could certainly use some exception trapping or,
at least, better error messages when this happens.

I hate Unix!

MDC
Marin David Condic   - Quadrus Corporation -   1.800.555.3393
1015-116 Atlantic Boulevard, Atlantic Beach, FL 32233
http://www.quadruscorp.com/

Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

"Capitalism without failure is like religion without sin."
        --  Allan Meltzer, Economist

Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 gnat hppa

Quote:
> i have compiled these three versions by myself, too. now i am
running out of

> ideas (i just have one more idea: compiling gnat with other
versions of gcc

> than 2.8.1 ... i am not too optimistic. do the gnat patches
work with newer

> versions of gcc/egcs anyway?)

The current version of GNAT is definitely incompatible with
versions beyond 2.8.1. This is true for two reasons. First,
there are serious bugs that were fixed in 2.8.1 and have
not yet been fixed in GCC 2.95, these particularly include bugs
discovered during the GNAT work. Second, the front/back end
interface changed in GCC 2.95 and it will take some work to
adjust GNAT for these changes.

We are working on making a new version of GNAT that will be
compatible with the new merged GCC technology that contains
all the 2.8.1 fixes, but that work is not yet complete.

As for general problems with HPUX, we have many customers
successfully developing large scale systems using the HPUX
version of GNAT, so most likely you have some kind of
installation problem. Typical explanations for complete
failure to get GNAT running as you describe are

a) incorrect installation
b) using an unsupported OS version or machine version

Carefully read the documentation to make sure you are not in
case b) and then very carefully reinstall from scratch following
every little detail in the installation documentation.

If you are using Ada for a commercial project, you most likely
should contact ACT for assistance.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 13 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. gnat on hppa

2. gnat on hppa

3. gnat on hppa

4. Haskell HPPA

5. g77 3.3 build on hppa fails testsuite

6. Compile Tcl/Tk 8.2b2 out of the box on hppa 11

7. Next Generation GNAT ... GNAT Pro 5.00a

8. Status of GCC-GNAT versus GNAT 3.14-3.15

9. Bug in GNAT.Socket.Check_Selector in GNAT 3.14 Linux runtime

10. source for Gnat and gnat- Glade

11. Gnat Chat, Random Numbers in GNAT

12. GNAT probem (should have been on chat@gnat)