real time sharing of files by Ada and C on DEC system
Author Message
 real time sharing of files by Ada and C on DEC system

> I have a requirement to open a file in Ada.  As the data is being placed in the file by the Ada program, a second file is opened
> which identifies which data elements in the first go together.  There are several data sets in the file.  I have a requirement to
> generate a C program on a DEC system to access both files and pull out a particular data set as the Ada program is still running.

> Any pointers or experience doing something like this?  I need to know what key words and tricky phrases to look for in the manuals
> to make sure the two programs can use the files at the same time.

Since you don't further qualify "DEC system" I will presume VMS.
Just make sure your "FORM" parameter on the Ada OPEN call specifies
that the appropriate level of file sharing is permitted. Once a record
has been written by Ada, it will be accessible to C (or any other language),
even though the file is still open for write.

Of course you have to take the same precautions with your C program.

Mon, 07 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. DEC Ada run-time error messages (Was: More Ashamedness of Ada - this time OBJECT WORLD)

2. Application for graphical design of Real-time Systems in Ada

3. Fw: Real Time Systems with Ada

4. Real-time embedded systems - Ada resources

6. Teaching Ada in Real-Time Software Systems

7. Ada Based Real-Time Expert System Shells

8. REAL*16 support planned for DEC Fortran on AXP systems

9. Time to REAL & REAL to time

10. Shared Memory under DEC Ada

11. Comparing system time and log file time

12. HLP: SmallTalk real-time Embedded Systems