gperf (C2Ada) build problem...
Author Message
 gperf (C2Ada) build problem...

If someone can assist with this unique problem ...

I'm building the C2Ada translator from Inmet.com,
which requires that python and gperf be built first.
I'm running on a Sun - Sparc Enterprise 2, with SunOS 5.0, and
gnat  versions 3.05 and 3.10, which both reference gcc version 2.7.2.

The latest version of C2Ada calls for python version 1.3,
I built version 1.4 successfully.

When I build gperf with gnat 3.05, I get the following error message:
#--------------------------------------------------------------
gcc -DLO_CAL -DGATHER_STATISTICS -O -p -g -fstrength-reduce
-fomit-frame-pointer -fdelayed-branch -finline-functions  -c  getopt.c
getopt.c: In function `getopt':
getopt.c:189: argument `argv' doesn't match prototype
/opt/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/2.7.2/include/stdio.h:249:
prototype declaration
getopt.c:189: argument `optstring' doesn't match prototype
/opt/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.4/2.7.2/include/stdio.h:249:
prototype declaration
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `getopt.o'
Current working directory
/extdisk0/users/AliR/spc/c2ada/gperf/cperf-2.1a/src
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `gperf'

244%
#--------------------------------------------------------------

AND,

When I build gperf with gnat 3.10, I get the following error message:
#--------------------------------------------------------------
gcc -DLO_CAL -DGATHER_STATISTICS -O -p -g -fstrength-reduce
-fomit-frame-pointer -fdelayed-branch -finline-functions -o gperf
options.o iterator.o main.o perfect.o keylist.o listnode.o xmalloc.o
hashtable.o boolarray.o readline.o stderr.o version.o getopt.o
ld: fatal: file mcrt1.o: cannot open file; errno=2
ld: fatal: File processing errors.  No output written to gperf
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `gperf'
Current working directory
/extdisk0/users/AliR/spc/c2ada/gperf/cperf-2.1a/src
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `gperf'

251%
#--------------------------------------------------------------

The file "mcrt1.o" cannot be found on our system,
although "crt1.o" was found in the heirarchy of both versions of gnat.

Can someone suggest a fix for this situation?

1-732-933-4070 x141
1-732-933-4088 Fax

Fri, 01 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 gperf (C2Ada) build problem...

Quote:
> If someone can assist with this unique problem ...

> I'm building the C2Ada translator from Inmet.com,
> which requires that python and gperf be built first.
> I'm running on a Sun - Sparc Enterprise 2, with SunOS 5.0, and
> gnat  versions 3.05 and 3.10, which both reference gcc version 2.7.2.

I tried this on Windows NT; I got gperf and python to build, but not
the rest of C2Ada. It uses a non-Posix, non-gnu regexp package, which
may be available on Solaris.

There is a binary distribution of C2Ada for AIX on the OCSystems FTP
site ftp://ocsystems.com/pub/ (I haven't tried it yet; my AIX system
is currently down). While you are there, check out OCS man at
http://ocsystems.com/ -- best Ada graphic I've seen yet!

I got gperf to build with the Cygnus gcc distribution, although I had
to delete the -p (profiling) (and I boosted -O to -O3). From your
error messages, it appears that the Sun/Solaris stdio.h is not ANSI C
compliant; see if you can use the glib version instead (this seems to
be what GNAT 3.10 did). Or you can hack getopt.c to match the Solaris
headers; shouldn't be too hard.

I've no clue why GNAT is looking for mcrt1.o; try the gnat chat
mailing list (see instructions at http://www.gnat.com/).

<snip>

Quote:

-- Stephe

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 gperf (C2Ada) build problem...

Quote:

> Ronald> The latest version of C2Ada calls for python version 1.3, I
> Ronald> built version 1.4 successfully.

> Well, you should build python 1.5.1, which is the latest release.

> Ronald> When I build gperf with gnat 3.10, I get the following error message:

> Use your local C compiler instead of the one that comes with GNAT, you
> must have a problem in your installation (it's likely that some
> environment variables are missing).

>   Sam
> --

  Thanks for the suggestions.
I built version 1.5.1 of python with fewer config.log errors than previous
versions.
Unfortunately, changing from gcc to cc made No difference.

The problem still remains: "ld: fatal: file mcrt1.o: cannot open file; errno=2",

and the culprit file is in fact not resident on our system.

I'll keep treking, thanks again.

Ron

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Pb. to build c2ada

2. c2ada running problem

3. c2ada compilinG/runtime problem

4. Perfect hashes in lisp? (gperf for lisp)

5. c2ada for Win

6. newbie questions: where are c2ada and ada2html?

7. c2ada

8. "#define" and C2Ada

9. C2Ada convertors+Ada instructons tutorials

10. c2ada tool

11. c2ada for DOS?

12. Looking for port of C2Ada to Wintel platforms or help porting