Why don't large companies use C/C++/OOP?
Author Message
 Why don't large companies use C/C++/OOP?

Untried and/or untrue?

From The X Journal, November-December 1994, pg 6 (a very C/C++ oriented
magazine from SIGS Pulications, which also publishes the C++ Report and
Journal of OOP):

Forrester Research in Cambridge Massachusetts surveyed MIS executives
from 51 of the Fortune 1000 companies.  Only 12% of the software staff
were experienced in C programming, and only 3% in OOP.
--

I haven't read the study, but probably only means that many companies
are outsourcing their MIS software development or buying COTS.  And

Would anyone who has actually read the report care to comment?

Curtis

Tue, 27 May 1997 06:37:16 GMT
 Why don't large companies use C/C++/OOP?

   Untried and/or untrue?

   From The X Journal, November-December 1994, pg 6 (a very C/C++ oriented
   magazine from SIGS Pulications, which also publishes the C++ Report and
   Journal of OOP):

   Forrester Research in Cambridge Massachusetts surveyed MIS executives
   from 51 of the Fortune 1000 companies.  Only 12% of the software staff
   were experienced in C programming, and only 3% in OOP.
   --

   I haven't read the study, but probably only means that many companies
   are outsourcing their MIS software development or buying COTS.  And
   those companies left which haven't gone those routes have a large
   mainframe legacy they are loathe to re-engineer.

   Would anyone who has actually read the report care to comment?

   Curtis

It is very irresponsible to post a flame bait to multiple news groups
in the name of more Ada acceptance. It only serves to annoy readers of
other groups without any positive effects. Please don't drag other
groups into the Ada flame fest.

Larry Liang

Wed, 28 May 1997 02:49:21 GMT
 Why don't large companies use C/C++/OOP?
Remembr that a LOT of programming is still done in COBOL, and of course a lot
is done using 4GL's.

One of the big surprises we had at Realia in marketing the Realia compiler
was that we thought the main market would be for offloading mainframe
development, but the main market is in fact new applications written in
COBOL for the PC, surprising! Now you can get CICS, 370 JCL, 370 assembler
and all kinds of junk on the PC. People are actually writing NEW 370
assembly language programs for the PC!

Wed, 28 May 1997 21:56:33 GMT
 Why don't large companies use C/C++/OOP?

  > People are actually writing NEW 370 assembly language programs for
  > the PC!

  This is the most {*filter*}ic thing I've heard of all week!  (But
the week is still young yet... ;-)  As far as I am concerned, 360
assembler makes 8086 assembler look like a great leap forward.  The
360 does have a general register set, but the "normal" addressing
modes are a nightmare.

--

                                        Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;

Fri, 30 May 1997 19:39:18 GMT

1. Why don't large companies use Ada?

2. Why don't large companies use Ada?

3. Why don't large companies use Ada?

4. Why don't you support Borkand C++ Compiler

6. Where Does OOP Belong in the CS Curriculum?

7. OOP and large systems (was: Ada vs C++)

8. Why isn't Eiffel as widely used as C++

9. Using Smalltalk to teach intro cs courses

10. UPG using CS.exe

11. using GOFER/MIRANDA in a first-year CS course (2)

12. using GOFER/MIRANDA in a first-year CS course