VRML Platform
Author Message
 VRML Platform

I'm interested in buying a system specifically for vrml (and other uses but
mainly for surfing VRML sites and checking out what's out there.  I'm currently
using a Mac and understand that much of the VRML out there shows up best with
the browsers for Wintel machines.  I know this could start a cascade of
purpose.  I want to buy something about 2-3 years old (a P200MMX maybe??) with
a video card adequate for VRML and VR.

Thanks,

Jeff Linn

Sun, 15 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VRML Platform
in most cases you shouldn't need to much 200 with >= 32 Mb RAM, and not to
much HD (since VRML is *very* small). 3d acceleration is nice, but probably
not nescessary..
db

Quote:
> I'm interested in buying a system specifically for VRML (and other uses
but
> mainly for surfing VRML sites and checking out what's out there.  I'm
currently
> using a Mac and understand that much of the VRML out there shows up best
with
> the browsers for Wintel machines.  I know this could start a cascade of
this
> purpose.  I want to buy something about 2-3 years old (a P200MMX maybe??)
with
> a video card adequate for VRML and VR.

> Thanks,

> Jeff Linn

Mon, 16 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VRML Platform

Jun 2000:

Quote:
>I'm interested in buying a system specifically for VRML (and other
>uses but mainly for surfing VRML sites and checking out what's out
>there.  I'm currently using a Mac and understand that much of the
>VRML out there shows up best with the browsers for Wintel machines.

I'm not *even* gettin' into that one.

Quote:
>I know this could start a cascade of responses but I want to solicit
>opinions on the best system to buy for this purpose.  I want to buy
>something about 2-3 years old (a P200MMX maybe??) with a video card
>adequate for VRML and VR.

VRML is all about computing and rendering 3D geometry.  That means fast
floating point in the CPU and hardware graphics acceleration.  That adds
up to a PIII system as fast as you can afford with an AGP graphics card
with at *minimum* a TNT Riva chipset (a GeForce would be better).  If
you must get something other than a PIII, study up on how that chip is
different from the PIII.  Look for floating point benchmarks; nothing
else but floating point speed matters.  The AMD chips (before the latest
one) had particularly dismal floating point performance, and some of the
"named" Intel chips (e.g., Celeron) also had their floating point balls
cut off.  I believe the situation is further complicated by some
Celerons *not* being floating-point challeneged.  Remember, you don't
care how fast it runs Office or any of the other benchmarks (within
reason).  Floating point speed is the metric that will tell you if
you'll enjoy VRML or just putter along.

The system I'm on now (a 133 MHz Pentium with no graphics acceleration)
is pretty unsatisfactory for VRML.  Of course, if people would just make
their worlds smaller, it'd be fine.  But even then, it's pretty iffy if
you want to use a VRML modeler to build your own worlds.  I think I've
got the War Department convinced to get us a Micron Millennium for
Christmas.

Fortunately, there are PIII-based systems with Riva graphics cards out
there fairly cheap (<US$1,000 if you look hard), and they'll be a much
better value for you than a used system.

Disk space for VRML is negligible -- I've been building and collecting
VRML models since 1995, and I haven't filled up one CD-R yet.

RAM is good.  More RAM is better.  Since many popular VRML browsers run
inside Netscape and MSIE, and since Netscape and MSIE are bloated pigs,
you'll certainly want 64MB just to read the Jennicam daily archive page,
never mind VRML.
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
crispen at hiwaay dot net

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each
other.

Mon, 16 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VRML Platform
As a complement to Bob's answer, please note the recent explosion in 3d
graphic cards performance.  A computer 2-3 years old will have a graphics
card rendering performance way below that of a recent one.  No joke, there
has really been a revolution in the very recent past.

Example: my Pentium MMX 292 (overclocked 233) with a Diamond Fire GL Pro 8
Mb Graphics card built in December 1997 renders 13 frames per second on the
Direct3D version of GLView 4.3 and 14 fps on the OpenGL version.

My new Celeron 920 (overclocked 533A) with an Asus V6600 GeForce SDR 32 Mb
card built in June 2000 renders 47 frames per second on the Direct3D version
of GLView 4.3 and 90 fps on the OpenGL version!!!. It would probably do
better with an Athlon or Pentium III processor, but would also cost much
more (it cost about 900 USD...)

Here is the world where I got the above scores at 800x600x32 resolution.

The best graphics card chipmaker today is Nvidia (nvidia.com).  They made
the Nvidia RIVA TNT Bob was referring to.  They also made the TNT2 which
caused the demise of 3dfx. Then they made the GeForce 256 (my card) which
smokes the TNT2 big time in OpenGL apps. They have just now come out with
the GeForce 2 GTS and its cheaper version the GeForce 2 MX which should do
60% more polygons per sec than the GeForce 256 (when the right drivers come
out).

If you want a powerful floating-point processing machine with a high number
of polygons rendered per second, get and Athlon with a GeForce 2 MX. When
you get it, tell me how many fps you get with the above world, I'm
curious...

Quote:

> Jun 2000:

> >I'm interested in buying a system specifically for VRML (and other
> >uses but mainly for surfing VRML sites and checking out what's out
> >there.  I'm currently using a Mac and understand that much of the
> >VRML out there shows up best with the browsers for Wintel machines.

> I'm not *even* gettin' into that one.

> >I know this could start a cascade of responses but I want to solicit
> >opinions on the best system to buy for this purpose.  I want to buy
> >something about 2-3 years old (a P200MMX maybe??) with a video card
> >adequate for VRML and VR.

> VRML is all about computing and rendering 3D geometry.  That means fast
> floating point in the CPU and hardware graphics acceleration.  That adds
> up to a PIII system as fast as you can afford with an AGP graphics card
> with at *minimum* a TNT Riva chipset (a GeForce would be better).  If
> you must get something other than a PIII, study up on how that chip is
> different from the PIII.  Look for floating point benchmarks; nothing
> else but floating point speed matters.  The AMD chips (before the latest
> one) had particularly dismal floating point performance, and some of the
> "named" Intel chips (e.g., Celeron) also had their floating point balls
> cut off.  I believe the situation is further complicated by some
> Celerons *not* being floating-point challeneged.  Remember, you don't
> care how fast it runs Office or any of the other benchmarks (within
> reason).  Floating point speed is the metric that will tell you if
> you'll enjoy VRML or just putter along.

> The system I'm on now (a 133 MHz Pentium with no graphics acceleration)
> is pretty unsatisfactory for VRML.  Of course, if people would just make
> their worlds smaller, it'd be fine.  But even then, it's pretty iffy if
> you want to use a VRML modeler to build your own worlds.  I think I've
> got the War Department convinced to get us a Micron Millennium for
> Christmas.

> Fortunately, there are PIII-based systems with Riva graphics cards out
> there fairly cheap (<US$1,000 if you look hard), and they'll be a much
> better value for you than a used system.

> Disk space for VRML is negligible -- I've been building and collecting
> VRML models since 1995, and I haven't filled up one CD-R yet.

> RAM is good.  More RAM is better.  Since many popular VRML browsers run
> inside Netscape and MSIE, and since Netscape and MSIE are bloated pigs,
> you'll certainly want 64MB just to read the Jennicam daily archive page,
> never mind VRML.
> --
> Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
> crispen at hiwaay dot net

> When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each
> other.

Wed, 25 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VRML Platform

Quote:
> Oops, sorry, the world address is:

>  http://www.christov.com/WRL/chapelle/chapelle.wrl

You might want to fix this:

Welcome to Cosmo Player 2.1.1.
  Current Graphics Renderer
   Name: SGI
* IndexedFaceSet has too few texCoordIndex values (have 1, need 5)
* IndexedFaceSet has too few texCoordIndex values (have 820, need 826)

Something like Vorlon might be able to tell you exactly where that's
happening.

--Steve

Wed, 25 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VRML Platform
Thanks for the tip.  I only used Blaxxun and Cortona on this world and
didn't realise there were problems with other browsers. I'll fix it as
soon as possible.
Quote:

> > Oops, sorry, the world address is:

> >  http://www.christov.com/WRL/chapelle/chapelle.wrl

> You might want to fix this:

> Welcome to Cosmo Player 2.1.1.
>   Current Graphics Renderer
>    Name: SGI
> * IndexedFaceSet has too few texCoordIndex values (have 1, need 5)
> * IndexedFaceSet has too few texCoordIndex values (have 820, need 826)

> Something like Vorlon might be able to tell you exactly where that's
> happening.

> --Steve

Wed, 01 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 VRML Platform

Quote:
> Thanks for the tip.  I only used Blaxxun and Cortona on this world and
> didn't realise there were problems with other browsers. I'll fix it as
> soon as possible.

> > >  http://www.christov.com/WRL/chapelle/chapelle.wrl

> > You might want to fix this:

> > Welcome to Cosmo Player 2.1.1.
> >   Current Graphics Renderer
> >    Name: SGI
> > * IndexedFaceSet has too few texCoordIndex values (have 1, need 5)
> > * IndexedFaceSet has too few texCoordIndex values (have 820, need 826)

> > Something like Vorlon might be able to tell you exactly where that's
> > happening.

> > --Steve

Hi Marco,
I don't know whether above is only an extract of Steve's answer but he
refers to warning lamps which appear in Cosmo; with a double-click on those
lamps that text appears but there is a Clear-Button which makes disappear
not only the console-text but the warning-lamps as well and everything is
fine, so you need not worry too much.
But maybe this is the reason: Open your Vrml-file in textpad and check the
last coordIndex of each IFS.
If you see at the very end two -1,-1] instead of only one: -1] , then remove
one of them manually.
I know that this makes appear Cosmo's yellow warning lamps.
I walked around, also underneath the wooden roofs (for garden parties on
rainy days?). Very nice.
greetings
Sibyl Zridi G.

http://www.zridi.com
interactive 3D - no plugin needed
---

Thu, 02 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 VRML Platform
Thanks for the tip Sibylle, and thanks for the kind words concerning my small
world.  Its the first time somone from the VRML scene actually comments on it so
it was quite an emotion really.  I will post again as soon as I have something
worth showing.

Thanks again.

Quote:

> > Thanks for the tip.  I only used Blaxxun and Cortona on this world and
> > didn't realise there were problems with other browsers. I'll fix it as
> > soon as possible.

> > > You might want to fix this:

> > > Welcome to Cosmo Player 2.1.1.
> > >   Current Graphics Renderer
> > >    Name: SGI
> > > * IndexedFaceSet has too few texCoordIndex values (have 1, need 5)
> > > * IndexedFaceSet has too few texCoordIndex values (have 820, need 826)

> > > Something like Vorlon might be able to tell you exactly where that's
> > > happening.

> > > --Steve

> Hi Marco,
> I don't know whether above is only an extract of Steve's answer but he
> refers to warning lamps which appear in Cosmo; with a double-click on those
> lamps that text appears but there is a Clear-Button which makes disappear
> not only the console-text but the warning-lamps as well and everything is
> fine, so you need not worry too much.
> But maybe this is the reason: Open your Vrml-file in textpad and check the
> last coordIndex of each IFS.
> If you see at the very end two -1,-1] instead of only one: -1] , then remove
> one of them manually.
> I know that this makes appear Cosmo's yellow warning lamps.
> I walked around, also underneath the wooden roofs (for garden parties on
> rainy days?). Very nice.
> greetings
> Sibyl Zridi G.

> http://www.zridi.com
> interactive 3D - no plugin needed
> ---

Mon, 06 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. VRML 2000 : Platform Independence Keeps VRML alive

2. How do I know my EAI applets and VRML gallery work in other platforms

3. ANN: VRwave 0.8 - VRML 2.0 browser for Unix/X11 platforms

4. Cross platform, or platform independent fortran 90 compilers?

5. Module for generic platform information: platform.py

6. Module for generic platform information: platform.py

7. from near VRML to REAL VRML : My first EAI / Java / VRML Humanoid Avatar

8. IE6 +VRML + javascript in VRML trouble (was: problem using javascript window.open in VRML)

9. Rapid flipping between 2 VRML-1 files with VRML-2

10. VRML 2.0 to VRML 1.0 Converter

11. vrml-java-generated vrml

12. Comunication between a VRML and a embedded VRML