Orthogonal view / 2D view
Author Message
 Orthogonal view / 2D view

Does exist a node to view the scene in "2D", I mean orthogonal perspective??

Thanks a lot...

Sun, 25 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Orthogonal view / 2D view

I take it I understand your question...

I dont think theres a node for that, but you can force a Viewpoint with an
orientation that does that.
You can either define a viewpoint and set_bind it, from the browser or through a
route, or somehow route an orientation to the implicit eventIn of the
orientation exposedField of the current Viewpoint.

Quote:

> Does exist a node to view the scene in "2D", I mean orthogonal perspective??

> Thanks a lot...

  michael.preminger.vcf
< 1K Download

Sun, 25 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Orthogonal view / 2D view

Quote:

> Does exist a node to view the scene in "2D", I mean orthogonal perspective??

> Thanks a lot...

No. I don't think there is anything that would let you do that.

tomek
--

       514.281.0708 | 3951A Drolet H2W 2L3 Montreal QC Canada

Sun, 25 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Orthogonal view / 2D view

Quote:
> Does exist a node to view the scene in "2D", I mean orthogonal
perspective??

No.  One hack around that is to use a narrow field of view and place objects
far away.  It's not true orthogonality, but as long as you don't move it
doesn't matter too much.

Did any of the orphaned VRML-1 browsers support OrthographicCamera?  It was
part of the VRML-1 spec, but was axed from VRML-97.  If you can find an
older browser that supports it you'll be restricted to VRML-1 though (not
advisable to use that).  One would think that one of the older browsers that
has survived this long might still have that code lying dormant within.
Which gets me thinking, what is the oldest vrml browser still available?
Cosmo?  Has anybody kept an archive?

Quote:
> Thanks a lot...

--Steve

Sun, 25 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Orthogonal view / 2D view
dosn't work, VRML 97 dosn't support orthogonal viewpoints
db

Mon, 26 May 2003 14:12:10 GMT
 Orthogonal view / 2D view
u might be able to even find a new version browser (maybe at the least
cosmo) and write a VRML 1.0 file, and see if it supports the orthogonal
viewpoint when it converts to 97 (but i do know cosmo still converts to 97
before viewing, so i doubt it maintains the orthog view)
db

Mon, 26 May 2003 14:13:46 GMT
 Orthogonal view / 2D view
while there is no 'proper' way to do an orthogonal viewport in VRML 97, u
can hack it.
with a bit of scripting u could create a system whereby the entire scene is
scaled something like (1 1 0.00001) in the direction of the viewer. just use
a proxy sensor to get the users orientation, and use the scaleOrientation
and scale fields of the Transform node which encompasses the whole scene.
if u need an example. just ask
db

Mon, 26 May 2003 14:16:15 GMT
 Orthogonal view / 2D view

Quote:

> Which gets me thinking, what is the oldest VRML browser still available?
> Cosmo?  Has anybody kept an archive?

Computer Associates, who now own it, are keeping it in
suspended animation at http://www.cosmosoftware.com/
apparently partly as a way to push MetaStream, which
they also own a chunk of.

I have a mirror at http://www.karmanaut.com/cosmo/player -
currently it's a redirect to the official site, not a real
mirror, at the insistence of CAI. If the official site ever
goes down again though, my mirror will spring back into
action like a kung-fu warrior.

In any case, thank Eris we have Cortona.

Regards,

Mon, 26 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Orthogonal view / 2D view

Quote:

> 07 Dec 2000:
[snip]

> Then there was LiquidReality(?) -- the one in Java.  Great idea, if
> some of today's machines had been available then, and I think it had
> some interesting spinoffs.  All I had to do was think about that
> browser in the same room as my pitiful computer and it'd BSOD on me.

Historical/Biographical note regarding one of LRs developers is here:

http://www.666.com/ben/mole.html

He fell prey to a form of repetitive stress injury and no longer types.

LR was acquired by MS, briefly marketed as "Liquid Motion" and then killed.

[snip]

Quote:

> I think I've got a copy of the first Cosmo Player/Live3D merged product
> -- the one with the control panel in VRML.  For a suitable price, I'll
> delete it and forget I ever saw it.  ;-)

Eeww... I never used it, but I heard it was a horror.

Quote:
> Let it be said: the people who did those browsers were giants, and I
> admire them intemperately.

Yep, especially Cosmo.  It's still my default.

--Steve

Mon, 26 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Orthogonal view / 2D view

Quote:

> > Which gets me thinking, what is the oldest VRML browser still available?
> > Cosmo?  Has anybody kept an archive?

> Computer Associates, who now own it, are keeping it in

[snip]

I meant *really* old, like Live3d by Paper Software, before it was acquired.
Of course the OP was looking for something like OrthographicCamera, and
IIRC, at that point they might not have even had texture mapping yet, let
alone OC.

For its time, Live3d was very impressive.  I actually got acceptable frame
rates on my P-75 with no hardware acceleration.

An archive of "obscure" browsers might be interesting too.  Does anybody
have Newfire Torch for example?  If you aren't allowed to copy it, there
must be a legitimate CD somewhere.  eBay collectables anybody?

--Steve

Mon, 26 May 2003 23:36:07 GMT
 Orthogonal view / 2D view

07 Dec 2000:

Quote:
>I meant *really* old, like Live3d by Paper Software, before it was
>acquired. Of course the OP was looking for something like
>OrthographicCamera, and IIRC, at that point they might not have even
>had texture mapping yet, let alone OC.

Ortho cameras were in Inventor and VRML 1.0 (and may have had some
native support in OpenGL -- I can't remember any more what glOrtho
does, if I ever knew), and I believe WebSpace Navigator, the first VRML
1.0 browser I ever used, supported them.

Quote:
>For its time, Live3d was very impressive.  I actually got acceptable
>frame rates on my P-75 with no hardware acceleration.

Yup.  Live3D had great speed, as did WebFX before it, but godawful
color and lighting (imho).  Somebody correct me if I misremember, but I
think they were using RenderWare.

Quote:
>An archive of "obscure" browsers might be interesting too.  Does
>anybody have Newfire Torch for example?

Torch never ran very well on my machine, for some reason.  They sure
were enthusiastic about it, and it was clear that they had some very
bright people working on it.  Very few companies working on VRML in
those days made any money, but Newfire seemed to run out of money
faster than most.

There was another company from Israel a year or so later called Virtue
Ltd. (great name!) that had some very drool-over-able features like
automatic LOD in their browser, but they seem to have disappeared even
faster.

Then there was LiquidReality(?) -- the one in Java.  Great idea, if
some of today's machines had been available then, and I think it had
some interesting spinoffs.  All I had to do was think about that
browser in the same room as my pitiful computer and it'd BSOD on me.

Quote:
> If you aren't allowed to
>copy it, there must be a legitimate CD somewhere.  eBay collectables
>anybody?

I think I've got a copy of the first Cosmo Player/Live3D merged product
-- the one with the control panel in VRML.  For a suitable price, I'll
delete it and forget I ever saw it.  ;-)

Let it be said: the people who did those browsers were giants, and I
admire them intemperately.
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
crispen at hiwaay dot net

Moebius {*filter*}s only show you their back side.

Tue, 27 May 2003 09:53:51 GMT
 Orthogonal view / 2D view

what is the oldest VRML browser still
available?

Quote:
> Cosmo?  Has anybody kept an archive?

> > Thanks a lot...

> --Steve

Hi Steve,

i seem to keep cosmo player on my computer. in fact i am using it as my
sole vrml browser. would u please tell me what kind of vrml browsers r
in vage now and what r their advantages over comsom player?

yeah i heard of blaxxun etc. but never tried..

thank u.

----
an introvert guy dormant bending over his obselete computer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 28 May 2003 10:58:37 GMT
 Orthogonal view / 2D view

what is the oldest VRML browser still
available?

Quote:
> Cosmo?  Has anybody kept an archive?

> > Thanks a lot...

> --Steve

Hi Steve,

i seem to keep cosmo player on my computer. in fact i am using it as my
sole vrml browser. would u please tell me what kind of vrml browsers r
in vage now and what r their advantages over comsom player?

yeah i heard of blaxxun etc. but never tried..

thank u.

----
an introvert guy dormant bending over his obselete computer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 28 May 2003 10:56:51 GMT

 [ 26 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Orthogonal view in VRML 2.0 ?

2. No bind on variable View (801) attempting ot open the currewnt view

3. Controller/View question (dealing with view bounds)

4. Views, fields in views and run-time record declaration

5. View Position relative to Parent View

6. Viewing (or *not* viewing) .wrl files with NS3.0b5

7. Load .wrl Files, View it, centered in View

8. C++/Views: A Model-View-Controller Library for C++

9. (Newbie) How to add a view to a class with a view composer??

10. RESET(view,position); NEXT(view) does not work on ODBC

11. Q: How to make a view the focus view (BlackBox) ?

12. zombie views