EAI: getBrowser?
Author Message
 EAI: getBrowser?

Hi,

I'm starting in EAI and I have already found incongruencies between
different sources.

I have the book "Late Night vrml with Java" and it says to use the
method getBrowser to get a refference to the Browser to be able to
access events.

On the other hand the spec I just found in
  http://www.*-*-*.com/
clearly says:
"Note: For compatibility with previous versions of the EAI, the static
getBrowser() methods of the Browser class may be used to instantiate a
Browser class. This method is only available in the context of an Applet
and is deprecated."

First of all: What does "deprecated" mean?

Second: When I try to compile with the npcosmop.zip in "Symantec Visual
Cafe" I get the error that method getBrowser does not exist! Why?

Third: I got myself the examples from cosmosoftware.com and they use the
JSObject.getWindow(this).getMember("documents").getMember("embeds").getSlot(0)
from netscape.javascript.JSObject to obtain the refference to the
Browser. Isn't there a way to do it through the Browser class from VRML
package?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

Narcs
Narcis Pares i Burgues
Coordinator of the VR Lab
Institut Universitari de l'Audiovisual
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Rambla, 31. 08002 Barcelona
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~npares/
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~gvirtual/

Mon, 02 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI: getBrowser?

Quote:
>Second: When I try to compile with the npcosmop.zip in "Symantec Visual
>Cafe" I get the error that method getBrowser does not exist! Why?

>Third: I got myself the examples from cosmosoftware.com and they use the
>JSObject.getWindow(this).getMember("documents").getMember("embeds").getSlot(0)
>from netscape.javascript.JSObject to obtain the refference to the
>Browser. Isn't there a way to do it through the Browser class from VRML
>package?

The JSObject works only with Netscape. You can use the following code
for Netscape/Internet Explorer with Cosmo Player/WorldView:

import vrml.external.*;

Browser myBrowser = Browser.getBrowser(this);

The getBrowser(this, frameName, 0) method is unfortunately broken in
Netscape.

Markus

Wed, 04 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI: getBrowser?

Quote:

> The getBrowser(this, frameName, 0) method is unfortunately broken in
> Netscape.

Actually it's not Netscape in which it's broken, but Cosmo2.0.  If you
look hard enough through the documentation online, you'll find that they
never implemented it then.

*However*, if you use the 2.1beta it has now been added and works like a
treat.

This is exactly what I am doing right now for simulating multiple camera
views.  (Although it's darned slow having 8 copies of the same VRML
world -- anyone got any nifty ideas for that?)

        Leon

 | http://www.lostrealm.com/                         ICQ - 424725 |

Thu, 05 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. EAI: getBrowser

2. EAI: getBrowser(Applet,frame,index)

3. eai: getBrowser / start-stop TimeSensor question

4. eai getBrowser trouble

5. pb with EAI, getBrowser() doesn't work

6. ??? on EAI getBrowser()

7. Q: EAI getBrowser()

8. EAI getBrowser() AND ie

9. EAI : getBrowser stalls offline applet ?

10. HELP: problem with EAI getBrowser call in COSMO 1.0

11. Embedding Cortona 2.1 with <OBJECT> / EAI-getBrowser() ?

12. getBrowser problem (EAI)