Some questions, ranting and raving, and some VRML models to check out: 
Author Message
 Some questions, ranting and raving, and some VRML models to check out:

Follow the link below to see some of models I've put together with Spazz
3d, and Bryce 4.

I have a 3D guided tour of the local landscape.  They were made using
Bryce 4 and converting them to VRML.

There is also a neat animation inspired by the movie "The Matrix", and a
preview of a vrml "space merchant" type game I am working on.

I hope to eventually create a web-form / Perl driven system that will
allow people to dynamically add their own objects to an ever-expanding
VRML world.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Seems to look best in Blaxxun.

-- End of shameless plug.

Now for the questions (and ranting):

What is going on with VRML?   Is anyone still using it?   Every time I
search the web for VRML or even JAVA resources, they are all last
updated in 1995 - 97.   Back then I dabbled in VRML and found my
battered old 486 couldn't handle it. : )   Now I finally buy a decent
computer and find that no one seems to have done anything with VRML
since.  Grr..

The only VRML browsers I have been able to find so far are Cosmo, and
Blaxxun.  Blaxxun seems the better of the two.  Intervista and Wirl(sp?)
seem to have gone out of business.  Microsoft no longer offers their
VRML browser, and deny it ever existed.   I can't seem to find Live3D on
the Netscape website.   What's going on?

Right now I'm using Spazz 3D, which is a Shareware program ($60).   I
haven't seen the latest version of Cosmo Worlds, but the one I tried a
year or two ago wasn't really that impressive, and I know they charge
several hundred $$$ for Cosmo.

How do the two programs compare, and what does Cosmo do that Spazz does
not?

And finally, is there a simple, -FREEWARE-, VRML text editor out
there?   I don't need all the silly sytax checkers and other bells and
whistles, just a way to tweak code exported by Spazz3d without paying
some guy $40 for a text editor. : /

Sorry for the long message.  I'd appreciate any answers, the chance to
talk to other VRML enthusiasts, and praise/scorn of my artwork.



Thu, 03 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Some questions, ranting and raving, and some VRML models to check out:

Hello Mr. Kahuna,

I like the Matrix animation.  In regards to your rants,  there are  people
working in VRML,
only most aren't as shameless as you are in plugging their worlds ;-).  If
you look at search
engines on the web, you won't find many recent urls on VRML.  But this is
more likely due to
those engines being behind the times.  There's a lot of stuff on the web and
it seems that most
engine/portal sites are more concerned with commercial sites than small
personal pages.

Even CNN has VRML worlds but buries them at the bottom of their homepage
along with
other multimedia. VRML doesn't make money for the big companies yet and is a
lot more complex
than hypertext.  Many web masters aren't programmers, just people who got
into the web before
anyone else and locked into the job. VRML may be too complicated for many of
them and if
they can't implement it, then they may stay away from it to protect their
own jobs.

I'm not a professional programmer or web master, although I am a system
administrator who can
program in C++ as well as design databases in VBA/MS Access.  I've run
across a number of
computer professionals who are all talk, but little ability.  You don't need
a PhD to write code - but
some information systems types are insecure about their abilities and jobs.
VRML separates the men
from the boys: if you know it, http, PERL, Javascript, and any other
scripting language is a snap.

The big problem in VRML seems to be the plug-ins.  CosmoPlayer 2.1.1 can
handle all of my
worlds but Blaxxun has problems with some of my scripts - and my scripts
aren't that complicated.
Forget about anything from Microsoft.  I haven't tried any other browsers so
I can't comment on
them.  CosmoPlayer does have its shortcomings and although the company's web
site is back up,
they aren't supporting the player with improvements.  I designed a first
person shooter type game
and found problems with CosmoPlayer's ability to determine the user's
orientation after 4.71 radians.
This limitation curbs development of more dynamic worlds.  But it's better
than nothing, and it's free.

If you want to see recent VRML worlds, keep monitoring this ng for urls, as
well as check out my
site for my latest worlds.  I also have links to other sites that have links
to many worlds.

-hope I didn't offend anyone with my comments-

Ernest Rose
The E Cubed VRML Experience

Quote:

> Follow the link below to see some of models I've put together with Spazz
> 3d, and Bryce 4.

> I have a 3D guided tour of the local landscape.  They were made using
> Bryce 4 and converting them to VRML.

> There is also a neat animation inspired by the movie "The Matrix", and a
> preview of a VRML "space merchant" type game I am working on.

> I hope to eventually create a web-form / Perl driven system that will
> allow people to dynamically add their own objects to an ever-expanding
> VRML world.

> http://www.valleyfreeweb.com/valley3d/

> Seems to look best in Blaxxun.

> -- End of shameless plug.

> Now for the questions (and ranting):

> What is going on with VRML?   Is anyone still using it?   Every time I
> search the web for VRML or even JAVA resources, they are all last
> updated in 1995 - 97.   Back then I dabbled in VRML and found my
> battered old 486 couldn't handle it. : )   Now I finally buy a decent
> computer and find that no one seems to have done anything with VRML
> since.  Grr..

> The only VRML browsers I have been able to find so far are Cosmo, and
> Blaxxun.  Blaxxun seems the better of the two.  Intervista and Wirl(sp?)
> seem to have gone out of business.  Microsoft no longer offers their
> VRML browser, and deny it ever existed.   I can't seem to find Live3D on
> the Netscape website.   What's going on?

> Right now I'm using Spazz 3D, which is a Shareware program ($60).   I
> haven't seen the latest version of Cosmo Worlds, but the one I tried a
> year or two ago wasn't really that impressive, and I know they charge
> several hundred $$$ for Cosmo.

> How do the two programs compare, and what does Cosmo do that Spazz does
> not?

> And finally, is there a simple, -FREEWARE-, VRML text editor out
> there?   I don't need all the silly sytax checkers and other bells and
> whistles, just a way to tweak code exported by Spazz3d without paying
> some guy $40 for a text editor. : /

> Sorry for the long message.  I'd appreciate any answers, the chance to
> talk to other VRML enthusiasts, and praise/scorn of my artwork.



Thu, 03 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Some questions, ranting and raving, and some VRML models to check out:



Quote:
> Hello Mr. Kahuna,

...
> -hope I didn't offend anyone with my comments-

> Ernest Rose
> The E Cubed VRML Experience

Dear Ernest,
I found you comments very interesting, how can anyone feel offended by
them???

I think part of the plug-in-problems are solved with Shout3d
(http://www.Shout3d.com); Java3d but with beloved Vrml...
Greetings
Sibyl


3d-site: http://www.zridi.com
---



Thu, 03 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Some questions, ranting and raving, and some VRML models to check out:

Quote:

> Hello Mr. Kahuna,

> I like the Matrix animation.

Thanks : )   I'm planning to take out that last spinning sphere and
replace it with a mass of randomly flashing, translucent brain cells
soon.   Anyway, it's nice to get some feedback.   My website is mostly a
regional thing, and the locals have an appauling lack of curiousity,
especially when it involves a long download.

Quote:
>  In regards to your rants,  there are  people working in VRML,
> only most aren't as shameless as you are in plugging their worlds
> ;-).  If you look at search
> engines on the web, you won't find many recent urls on VRML.  But this
> is more likely due to
> those engines being behind the times.

I was wondering about that..  Well, people should be shameless and plug
their web sites.  How else can we see each other's work?

Quote:
> The big problem in VRML seems to be the plug-ins.  CosmoPlayer 2.1.1
> can handle all of my
> worlds but Blaxxun has problems with some of my scripts - and my
> scripts aren't that complicated.

Bummer.  I really like the rendering in Blaxxun, but I'll probably run
into the same problems while working on my game.   You'd think that
stuff would be standardized?

Quote:
> Forget about anything from Microsoft.  I haven't tried any other
> browsers so I can't comment on
> them.  CosmoPlayer does have its shortcomings and although the
> company's web site is back up,
> they aren't supporting the player with improvements.  I designed a
> first person shooter type game
> and found problems with CosmoPlayer's ability to determine the user's
> orientation after 4.71 radians.
> This limitation curbs development of more dynamic worlds.  But it's
> better than nothing, and it's free.

Actually, I downloaded Cosmo Player from a 3rd party website.  The Cosmo
website seems to only offer Irix(?) based stuff now.

Quote:
> If you want to see recent VRML worlds, keep monitoring this ng for
> urls, as well as check out my
> site for my latest worlds.  I also have links to other sites that have
> links to many worlds.

I will.   After I posted that message I flipped through the newsgroup
some more.  There's a lot of good activity and info here.

Quote:
> Ernest Rose
> The E Cubed VRML Experience

I just checked out your web page.  Pretty neat stuff, but I see what you
mean about Blaxxun and scripts.  I'll have to re-install Cosmo
temporarily so I can play the game.   I liked the interactive condo. : )

Is that shooter game stand-alone VRML or does it interact with a Perl or
other CGI script on your server?

Also, what do you use to draw your VRML scenes?   Do you use a 3d
modeler like Cosmo Worlds, spazz3d, or do you code them by hand?    What
do you use for a text editor?



Thu, 03 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Some questions, ranting and raving, and some VRML models to check out:
Shameless Hussy Jake`s pitch!
Have a look at www.virtual-dundee.co.uk
It is on a server that has limited b/w it`s a freebie with brakes!
shameless plug next!  Have you seen the cool vrml tools at
www.parallelgraphics.com  They have a cool upto date browser and MU

Jake the tart!



Fri, 04 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Some questions, ranting and raving, and some VRML models to check out:
Hello Kahuna,

TBK> What is going on with VRML?   Is anyone still using it?   Every time I
TBK> search the web for VRML or even JAVA resources, they are all last
TBK> updated in 1995 - 97.   Back then I dabbled in VRML and found my
TBK> battered old 486 couldn't handle it. : )   Now I finally buy a decent
TBK> computer and find that no one seems to have done anything with VRML
TBK> since.  Grr..
maybe those search engine are sleeping recently. In fact, I'm seeing a lot
VRML sites and things updating more than one year ago the first time I step
in VRML river.please don't rely on SE, but go and see yourself, sth for you:
base: http://www.web3d.org/
world: http://web3d.about.com/
resource: http://home.hiwaay.net/~crispen/vrmlworks/
tools: http://www.parallelgraphics.com/

TBK> The only VRML browsers I have been able to find so far are Cosmo, and
TBK> Blaxxun.  Blaxxun seems the better of the two.  Intervista and Wirl(sp?)
try cortona(http://www.parallelgraphics.com/cortona), it's fresh.

TBK> And finally, is there a simple, -FREEWARE-, VRML text editor out
TBK> there?   I don't need all the silly sytax checkers and other bells and
TBK> whistles, just a way to tweak code exported by Spazz3d without paying
TBK> some guy $40 for a text editor. : /
try VRMLPad(http://vrmlpad.parallelgraphics.com), not only check syntax for
you, but also have syntax highlight, wrz files open and save, etc. very good.

Trial version of VrmlPad has the following limitations:

      You cannot save the files over 64K.

      You cannot copy or cut selections over 32K to the clipboard.

Best regards,
liu baoguo



Fri, 04 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Some questions, ranting and raving, and some VRML models to check out:

Hey there,

Quote:

> Actually, I downloaded Cosmo Player from a 3rd party website.  The Cosmo
> website seems to only offer Irix(?) based stuff now.

Try this link:  http://www.cai.com/cosmo/

Quote:
> Is that shooter game stand-alone VRML or does it interact with a Perl or
> other CGI script on your server?

So far all of my worlds are stand-alone VRML.  I use javascript directly in
the script node.

Quote:

> Also, what do you use to draw your VRML scenes?   Do you use a 3d
> modeler like Cosmo Worlds, spazz3d, or do you code them by hand?    What
> do you use for a text editor?

I code by hand in Windows Notepad.  It's cumbersome sometimes but it makes
you a
better designer because you have no help in debugging, so you write wisely.
I can see the
need for a modeler when designing landscapes but I am too cheap to buy
anything VRML
related until I see some commitment to the cause and standardization  from
more browser developers.

regards,

Ernest



Fri, 04 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Some questions, ranting and raving, and some VRML models to check out:


Quote:
>Hello Mr. Kahuna,

>I like the Matrix animation.  In regards to your rants,  there are  people
>working in VRML,
>only most aren't as shameless as you are in plugging their worlds ;-).

Try www.virtual-dundee.co.uk

Jake the shameless hussy ;)



Sat, 05 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Some questions, ranting and raving, and some VRML models to check out:
Kahuna:
You ask about a FREE text editor; please try...
http://www.notetab.com/
Make sure that you download the VRML clipbook after you install the program.

There is also a program at...
 http://www.textpad.com
that is a good text editor (but has no VRML leanings).

I prefer
http://www.modelworks.com
Sitepad Pro... but it is not a free program.

www.parallelgraphics.com has a nice looking (and powerful) vrml editor, but
it also cost money.

PS You might find some of the information I have about Spazz3D on my website
useful. [shameless plug: http://philliphansel.com ]

---
Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II

http://philliphansel.com



Quote:

> > Hello Mr. Kahuna,

> > I like the Matrix animation.

> Thanks : )   I'm planning to take out that last spinning sphere and
> replace it with a mass of randomly flashing, translucent brain cells
> soon.   Anyway, it's nice to get some feedback.   My website is mostly a
> regional thing, and the locals have an appauling lack of curiousity,
> especially when it involves a long download.

> >  In regards to your rants,  there are  people working in VRML,
> > only most aren't as shameless as you are in plugging their worlds
> > ;-).  If you look at search
> > engines on the web, you won't find many recent urls on VRML.  But this
> > is more likely due to
> > those engines being behind the times.

> I was wondering about that..  Well, people should be shameless and plug
> their web sites.  How else can we see each other's work?

> > The big problem in VRML seems to be the plug-ins.  CosmoPlayer 2.1.1
> > can handle all of my
> > worlds but Blaxxun has problems with some of my scripts - and my
> > scripts aren't that complicated.

> Bummer.  I really like the rendering in Blaxxun, but I'll probably run
> into the same problems while working on my game.   You'd think that
> stuff would be standardized?

> > Forget about anything from Microsoft.  I haven't tried any other
> > browsers so I can't comment on
> > them.  CosmoPlayer does have its shortcomings and although the
> > company's web site is back up,
> > they aren't supporting the player with improvements.  I designed a
> > first person shooter type game
> > and found problems with CosmoPlayer's ability to determine the user's
> > orientation after 4.71 radians.
> > This limitation curbs development of more dynamic worlds.  But it's
> > better than nothing, and it's free.

> Actually, I downloaded Cosmo Player from a 3rd party website.  The Cosmo
> website seems to only offer Irix(?) based stuff now.

> > If you want to see recent VRML worlds, keep monitoring this ng for
> > urls, as well as check out my
> > site for my latest worlds.  I also have links to other sites that have
> > links to many worlds.

> I will.   After I posted that message I flipped through the newsgroup
> some more.  There's a lot of good activity and info here.

> > Ernest Rose
> > The E Cubed VRML Experience

> I just checked out your web page.  Pretty neat stuff, but I see what you
> mean about Blaxxun and scripts.  I'll have to re-install Cosmo
> temporarily so I can play the game.   I liked the interactive condo. : )

> Is that shooter game stand-alone VRML or does it interact with a Perl or
> other CGI script on your server?

> Also, what do you use to draw your VRML scenes?   Do you use a 3d
> modeler like Cosmo Worlds, spazz3d, or do you code them by hand?    What
> do you use for a text editor?



Thu, 24 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 9 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. C/C++ Pointers Ranting and Raving

2. AS Rant. WAS: shutil rant

3. Rant: VRML On Mac

4. model checking and Haskell

5. Research Fellow in Model Checking

6. Opening: Research Fellow in Model Checking and Program Analysis

7. model equivalency checking

8. Research Fellow in Model Checking

9. Opening: Research Fellow in Model Checking and Program Analysis

10. Lint Checks on Behavioral Verilog Models

11. Model checking with VIS

12. Research Fellow in Model Checking

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software