Followup on animation of VRML
Author Message
 Followup on animation of VRML

Dear Paul,

Thanks very much for your comprehensive reply.

Sorry - when I said H-VRML, I meant H-Anim.

I've seen Christian Babski's, Matthew Beitler's and Cindy Ballreich's
stuff (I still think Cindy's "Nancy" is the best I've seen, though for
some reason she's taken it off her page recently).

Paul, I wonder if you (or anyone else out there!) would be interested
in a collaboration? I already have a Java programmer in Australia
working on this, but it seems to me that you could help us a lot.

As far as the motion capture output is concerned, there are various
possibilities. The basic output consists of joint angles (hip, knee,
ankle) around the three axes, together with the pelvis (sometimes
called "hip") translation coordinates. I guess I could fit a spline to
each curve, but that would make it a bit complicated. Actually, we have
done some work on reducing the amount of data - see:

Taylor CR, von Konsky BR, Kirtley C (1998) Polynomial Approximations of
Gait for Human Motion Anaysis & Visualisation. Proc. 20th
Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and
Biology Society (EMBS'98), Hong Kong Oct. 29 - Nov. 1st 1998,
ISBN 0-7803-5164-9. I can fax you a copy of this if you are interested.

But I guess I would prefer to use the raw data for the moment. There
are plenty of example files (called ".GCD" files) at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/
e.g. http://www.*-*-*.com/

I have had one attempt at making vrml from the data: see
http://www.*-*-*.com/

but the guy who did this told me it was far too big to use over the net.

What I want (for the moment) is just a very simple mannekin that I
could animate with the standard data files (just the legs would also do
for a start). I guess this might need some sort of CGI interface to get
the data from a URL.

How long do you think that would take?

Thanks again for your help!

Chris
Exchange ideas on practically anything (tm).

Sun, 16 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

http://www.polyu.edu.hk/cga/data
e.g. http://www.polyu.edu.hk/cga/data/Baker/anon.gcd

I have had one attempt at making VRML from the data: see
http://guardian.curtin.edu.au/cga/archives/29-6-97

[...]

Greetings ...

 1 )  Is the Mpeg4 standard suited to your task ?

        If not, how is it lacking ?

  2 )  Did these work on your system ?

        http://ligwww.epfl.ch/~babski/StandardBody/mpeg4/

        http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/HAnimPoser.html

  3 )   Having equations that approximate the
        joint angles has advantages :

        -  it's compact
        -  it's simpler for the program
        -  it reflects the analog nature of the motion
        -  it smoothes & verifies the data
        -  equations imply a higher level understanding ...

        In the 3d imaging world, in an analogous
        fashion, curvy 3d objects are approximated
        with 2nd degrees equations such that each
        patch blends smoothly into the next ( Nurbs ).

        This is a bit frivolous, and grossly inaccurate :

  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/character_animation.html

        but with a few guesses and a few sine functions I have a walking motion.

  4 )
        >  ... told me it was far too big to use over the net.
        >
        >   ... standard data files ... I guess this might need
        >  some sort of CGI interface to get the data from a URL.

        Java can read streams of data with no real limit,
        and reads regardless of its origin ( excepting
        security concerns ), CGI seams unnecessary ...
        HAnimPoser  accepts data local and remote.

        Is the issue slow modems ?

  . . . .

  I'll look at the animation data you mentioned.

  The H-Anim mailing list archive has details on what people are doing :

http://www.vrml.org/WorkingGroups/h-anim/hypermail/1999/date.html

  Ballreich is alive and well and is either in hiding or is very busy.

  Look for a separate e-mail.

 -- Paul

 "Imaging the Imagined : Modeling with Math & a Keyboard"

  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/contents.html

Sun, 16 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. VRML-Animation in PowerPoint?

2. Novice want to make animation in VRML

3. Animation in VRML ?

4. VRML animation output files

5. VRML Animation

6. ###### Put animation in VRML ????????

7. VRML Animation question

8. Need help with interactive VRML animation

9. Using Java animation as VRML texture ?

10. 3-D Animation / VRML 2.0 Specs

11. Problems with the animation in VRML 2.0 files

12. Facial Animation in VRML