Control of edge smoothing
Author Message
 Control of edge smoothing

Hi

Why my simple paraboloid (and even standard sphere) looks different in
vrml 1
http://www.*-*-*.com/
and VRML 2 http://www.*-*-*.com/
VRML 2 on "Cortona"  doesn't smooth edges. Can I control edge smoothing
in any viewer or by VRML?

And on Celeron300+Intel740 or PII-400+S3Trio3D +Win98+Cortona my VRML
Mandelbrots work fine for 150x150 points grid (45,000 triangles) only.
I've red about 200-300 millions of triangles per second for new 3D video
card. Can they manage 1000x1000 grid (only 2,000,000 triangles :)? Will
other 3D engine (3D Java, C++, ...) be much more powerful then VRML
viewers?

Evgeny

Mon, 07 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Control of edge smoothing

The latest Cortona (by ParallelGraphics) offers control over this.  See preferences/renderer in the control panel: the "anti-alias geometry edges" check box.

I've noticed that the DirectX and R98 renderers offer very different degrees of anti-aliasing, too.  On my system.

    http://www.people.nnov.ru/fractal/VRML/Para.htm
    and VRML 2 http://www.people.nnov.ru/fractal/VRML/Para2.htm
    VRML 2 on "Cortona"  doesn't smooth edges. Can I control edge smoothing in any viewer or by VRML?

    And on Celeron300+Intel740 or PII-400+S3Trio3D +Win98+Cortona my VRML Mandelbrots work fine for 150x150 points grid (45,000 triangles) only. I've red about 200-300 millions of triangles per second for new 3D video card. Can they manage 1000x1000 grid (only 2,000,000 triangles :)? Will other 3D engine (3D Java, C++, ...) be much more powerful then VRML viewers?

    Evgeny

Mon, 07 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Control of edge smoothing

Thank you
but VRML 1 objects are much smoother yet

Evgeny

Quote:

>  The latest Cortona (by ParallelGraphics) offers control over this.
> See preferences/renderer in the control panel: the "anti-alias
> geometry edges" check box. I've noticed that the DirectX and R98
> renderers offer very different degrees of anti-aliasing, too.  On my
> system.

Mon, 07 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Control of edge smoothing

Quote:

> Thank you
> but VRML 1 objects are much smoother yet

I think the issue is solved by paying attention to the creaseAngle field
in IndexedFaceSets. I don't remember how this was handled in VRML 1, but
it's quite possible that the default was different, or that in the
conversion to VRML 97 the creaseAngle information wasn't translated.

The creaseAngle is "the positive angle between surface normals on
adjacent polygons. For example, a crease angle of 0.5 radians means that
an edge between two adjacent polygonal faces will be smoothly shaded if
the normals to the two faces form an angle that is less than 0.5 radians
(about 30 degrees). Otherwise it will be faceted." [quoted from The
Annotated VRML 97 Reference Manual]

- Paul
***********************************
Paul S. Hoffman
Senior Interface Designer, Cognetics Corporation

Company URL - http://www.cognetics.com
Personal URL - http://pluto.njcc.com/~paulsam
609-799-5005 ext.237 - FAX 609-799-8555

Mon, 07 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Control of edge smoothing
Sorry, 8-15 millions of triangles per second (only :)
A friend of mine sad that 200x200 = 80,000 triangles are rotated
absolutely smooth on his Celeron330+middle 3D card

Evgeny

Quote:
> And on Celeron300+Intel740 or PII-400+S3Trio3D +Win98+Cortona my VRML
> Mandelbrots work fine for 150x150 points grid (45,000 triangles) only.
> I've red about 200-300 millions of triangles per second for new 3D
> video card. Can they manage 1000x1000 grid (only 2,000,000 triangles
> :)? Will other 3D engine (3D Java, C++, ...) be much more powerful
> then VRML viewers?

Mon, 07 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Control of edge smoothing
Thank you. Really VRML_2 default  creaseAngle = 0. My paraboloid looks nice
now. But I'don't know why it is not smooth for creaseAngle = 1 (about 60
degrees) only :)

Evgeny

Quote:

> I think the issue is solved by paying attention to the creaseAngle field
> in IndexedFaceSets. I don't remember how this was handled in VRML 1, but
> it's quite possible that the default was different, or that in the
> conversion to VRML 97 the creaseAngle information wasn't translated.

Tue, 08 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Smooth Tab-controls

2. printercode edge to edge

3. I need to manipulate only X values of Edge coordinates (IMAQ Find Vertical Edge VI)

4. USE both rising edge and falling edge

5. USE both rising edge and falling edge

6. Text Smoothing in OS X

7. scroll of texteditor spec is not smooth

8. Smooth animation...

9. Smooth scrolling tickertape object

10. Smooth scrolling text

11. smooth scrolling text