Updating a VRML model based on the contents of another URL
Author Message
 Updating a VRML model based on the contents of another URL

My apologies if this has been dealt with before in this group.

As part of my research, I have built a real room that is able to report via
an HTML page the status of all the devices in the room (e.g. windows
open/closed, chair sat on/off). I have a vrml model of the room which the
user is able to click on the various objects in the model room and control
the real one.

I am now attempting to make this work as a two way model so that any changes
the user makes in the real world (e.g. opening the window) will be reflected
in the model. To achieve this I am using java called every three seconds by
the model which attempts to get hold of the real room's status URL and
process it, passing the current values back to the model.

However, my stumbling block is a security exception that is thrown by Java.
I appreciate that this isn't a java newsgroup but I'm fairly certain that
the security exception is a result of the Java being called from Cortona in
Internet Explorer.

Has anyone ever successfully achieved this sort of function using VRML and
Java? If so, could you please give some example code as I have been trawling
the web for answers a long time now without much success. Many thanks,

Anthony

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:05:44 GMT
 Updating a VRML model based on the contents of another URL

Interesting question.
Maybe try posting it here: http://forums.parallelgraphics.com/

Just wondering...

Why are you using java?
Because the embedded devices use it?

What about the shared object approach used in multiuser wrls?
That would allow for 2 way dataflow.

Or just use a createFromUrl call every 3 seconds to a server-side
script that gets the url/state and returns the values. No security problems.
(although 3 seconds is pretty tight if you distribute the model).

s.

Quote:
> My apologies if this has been dealt with before in this group.

> As part of my research, I have built a real room that is able to report
via
> an HTML page the status of all the devices in the room (e.g. windows
> open/closed, chair sat on/off). I have a VRML model of the room which the
> user is able to click on the various objects in the model room and control
> the real one.

> I am now attempting to make this work as a two way model so that any
changes
> the user makes in the real world (e.g. opening the window) will be
reflected
> in the model. To achieve this I am using java called every three seconds
by
> the model which attempts to get hold of the real room's status URL and
> process it, passing the current values back to the model.

> However, my stumbling block is a security exception that is thrown by
Java.
> I appreciate that this isn't a java newsgroup but I'm fairly certain that
> the security exception is a result of the Java being called from Cortona
in
> Internet Explorer.

> Has anyone ever successfully achieved this sort of function using VRML and
> Java? If so, could you please give some example code as I have been
trawling
> the web for answers a long time now without much success. Many thanks,

> Anthony

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 01:43:33 GMT
 Updating a VRML model based on the contents of another URL
For sound security reasons applets are only allowed to access back over the
network to the server from which they have been loaded. So you need to push
or pull the real room status page up onto the ISP server (from which your
applet and vrml have been downloaded). So you need a process to either
upload the room status to the server or a process running on the server to
grab the room status from whereever it is.

Your system should work if the status html page URL is the same as the page
containing the applet/vrml. Have you tried this?

Quote:
> My apologies if this has been dealt with before in this group.

> As part of my research, I have built a real room that is able to report
via
> an HTML page the status of all the devices in the room (e.g. windows
> open/closed, chair sat on/off). I have a VRML model of the room which the
> user is able to click on the various objects in the model room and control
> the real one.

> I am now attempting to make this work as a two way model so that any
changes
> the user makes in the real world (e.g. opening the window) will be
reflected
> in the model. To achieve this I am using java called every three seconds
by
> the model which attempts to get hold of the real room's status URL and
> process it, passing the current values back to the model.

> However, my stumbling block is a security exception that is thrown by
Java.
> I appreciate that this isn't a java newsgroup but I'm fairly certain that
> the security exception is a result of the Java being called from Cortona
in
> Internet Explorer.

> Has anyone ever successfully achieved this sort of function using VRML and
> Java? If so, could you please give some example code as I have been
trawling
> the web for answers a long time now without much success. Many thanks,

> Anthony

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:24:10 GMT

1. updating one drop list based on the contents of another

2. New VRML content at VRML.SGI.COM

3. Reading URL's content from script node

4. Filter browse based on contents of another file

5. File Content Comparison Product Needed - PC or Unix based

6. Tcl based Web Content Management - "FastWeb"

7. compare one file contents to update another

8. Running a process - Updating Browse contents

9. ComboBox, updating contents when list is visible (Windows NT-4.0)

10. Updating the contents of a counting field

11. Updating container contents

12. Updating partical content from db