NURBs in VRML?
Author Message
 NURBs in VRML?

We have several large ( 10000 + control vertices )  animated NURB models from
different modeling packages and are looking at vrml as a common data format.
Two stumbling blocks -

1 ) Is it possible to represent NURBs in VRML2.0?

2 ) Animated NURB surfaces as well? Will size become an issue?

Has anyone out there done this already? any highend modelers support VRML 2.0?

Sat, 14 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 NURBs in VRML?

: We have several large ( 10000 + control vertices )  animated NURB models from
: different modeling packages and are looking at VRML as a common data format.
: Two stumbling blocks -

: 1 ) Is it possible to represent NURBs in VRML2.0?

: 2 ) Animated NURB surfaces as well? Will size become an issue?

: Has anyone out there done this already? any highend modelers support VRML 2.0?

See the book, "Late Night VRML 2.0."

It's got a Nurbs implementation.

Jeff Harrington [-->>[[ Mercurealities for Flute, Viola, Cello MPEG ]]<<--]

http://www.parnasse.com/jeff.htm --------->>[[ My Music ]]<<--------------]
http://www.parnasse.com/vrml.shtml ------->>[[ My Worlds ]]<<-------------]

Sat, 14 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 NURBs in VRML?
Have you tried it, though?  They give a poor description of how to use the nurbs and
on top of that, the points don't clamp down right.  If you look at their quilt,
there's a big gouge out of the front right side.  If you change the control  points
and knots to make a flat surface, that gouge is still there, so I don't believe that
this nurbs package works right for surfaces.  Do you know of any others?  I've been
looking for a working one to do smooth surfaces with, but haven't had much luck
finding one.

Scott Hackett

Quote:

> : We have several large ( 10000 + control vertices )  animated NURB models from
> : different modeling packages and are looking at VRML as a common data format.
> : Two stumbling blocks -

> : 1 ) Is it possible to represent NURBs in VRML2.0?

> : 2 ) Animated NURB surfaces as well? Will size become an issue?

> : Has anyone out there done this already? any highend modelers support VRML 2.0?

> See the book, "Late Night VRML 2.0."

> It's got a Nurbs implementation.

> Jeff Harrington [-->>[[ Mercurealities for Flute, Viola, Cello MPEG ]]<<--]

> http://www.parnasse.com/jeff.htm --------->>[[ My Music ]]<<--------------]
> http://www.parnasse.com/vrml.shtml ------->>[[ My Worlds ]]<<-------------]

Sun, 15 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 NURBs in VRML?
I found a one commercial kit from IBM:

http://www.ibm.com/Java/tools/graphics-classes/

|We have several large ( 10000 + control vertices )  animated NURB models from
|different modeling packages and are looking at VRML as a common data format.
|Two stumbling blocks -
|
|1 ) Is it possible to represent NURBs in VRML2.0?
|
|2 ) Animated NURB surfaces as well? Will size become an issue?
|
|Has anyone out there done this already? any highend modelers support VRML 2.0?

Mon, 16 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 NURBs in VRML?
found another cool site:

http://www.ocnus.com/NURBS/

|We have several large ( 10000 + control vertices )  animated NURB models from
|different modeling packages and are looking at VRML as a common data format.
|Two stumbling blocks -
|
|1 ) Is it possible to represent NURBs in VRML2.0?
|
|2 ) Animated NURB surfaces as well? Will size become an issue?
|
|Has anyone out there done this already? any highend modelers support VRML 2.0?

Mon, 16 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 NURBs in VRML?
This seems to be derived from the "Late Night" NURBS package, but see if the author hasn't fixed some of the bugs

http://www.ocnus.com/NURBS/

|We have several large ( 10000 + control vertices )  animated NURB models from
|different modeling packages and are looking at VRML as a common data format.
|Two stumbling blocks -
|
|1 ) Is it possible to represent NURBs in VRML2.0?
|
|2 ) Animated NURB surfaces as well? Will size become an issue?
|
|Has anyone out there done this already? any highend modelers support VRML 2.0?

Mon, 16 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 NURBs in VRML?

Quote:

> found another cool site:

> http://www.ocnus.com/NURBS/

Tim, you're a marvel!  Bless you, sir, and you too Larry, for
finding the light hidden under a bushel.  I knew I shouldn't have
trashed that iges file that I got in my pack from Viewpoint.
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen

"And I observe, when any Yahoo comes from London out of Curiosity [to]
visit me at mine own House, we neither of us are able to deliver our
Conceptions in a Manner intelligible to the other."

Mon, 16 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 NURBs in VRML?
Ive managed to export nurbs models from 3d max (animation program)
successfully.

Tue, 17 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 NURBs in VRML?
Java graphics classes

JavaSoft has licensed Java Graphics Classes for a future release of their
Java library services. Java programmers now have access to powerful area
geometry functions. Creating complex shapes from the arithmetic combination
of arbitrarily complex paths is a snap!
Java developers can now create sophisticated graphics applications for the
2D Computer Aided Design, education and 2D visualization markets. This
capability is one more reason to build your applications on Java.

If you are a Java or C++ developer with more sophisticated graphics needs,
our graphics technology can help you build your application. The 2D and 3D
graphics technology is capable of meeting the needs of graphics simulations
and CAD applications. It is based on double-precision floating point and
supports NURBS curves and surfaces, and modeling tools for all primitives
are available.

I found a one commercial kit from IBM:

http://www.ibm.com/Java/tools/graphics-classes/

|We have several large ( 10000 + control vertices )  animated NURB models from
|different modeling packages and are looking at VRML as a common data format.
|Two stumbling blocks -
|
|1 ) Is it possible to represent NURBs in VRML2.0?
|
|2 ) Animated NURB surfaces as well? Will size become an issue?
|
|Has anyone out there done this already? any highend modelers support VRML 2.0?

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 NURBs in VRML?

Quote:

> Java graphics classes

> |We have several large ( 10000 + control vertices )  animated NURB models from
> |different modeling packages and are looking at VRML as a common data format.
> |Two stumbling blocks -
> |
> |1 ) Is it possible to represent NURBs in VRML2.0?
> |
> |2 ) Animated NURB surfaces as well? Will size become an issue?
> |
> |Has anyone out there done this already? any highend modelers support VRML 2.0?

You might be interested in checking out

http://www.ocnus.com/NURBS

This reference is from "Late Night VRML 2.0 and Java" which contains a
chapter on implementing NURBS in VRML (and implementation classes in
JAVA)

James McConnell
http://www.dataship.com/vrml

Mon, 30 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. NURBs in VRML and AFX

2. VRML browser for NURBS

3. Blaxxun VRML NURBS plug-in also in R3???

4. vrml+nurbs again

5. cool NURBS modeling program that can export VRML 2.0 -- free beta --

6. vrml+nurbs

7. VRML 2.0 and NURBS

8. NURBS Extension to VRML: TrimmedSurface Node Problem

9. vrml nurbs examples for anything but blaxxun

10. Splines, NURBS, B├ęzier curves

11. Cosmo player 2.1 under MacOS and nurbs

12. NURBS