Touch access to base file VRML objects?
Author Message
 Touch access to base file VRML objects?

Any Java/VRML EAI gods out there:

I'm working on a student project. One component of it is the means to
select a vrml object based on a touchtime event and manipulate it. I've
been able to figure out the case of dynamic objects with Mr. Russell's
Tiny3D example, even modified it to load entire VRML object files across
the net.

However, I can't figure out how to deal with basefile objects this way. I
don't want to have to know all of the DEF names ahead of time if possible.
I would just like to be able to click on an object and its reference
become active. In fact, I'd like to graft that into the Tiny3D example so
that whatever is selected can be modified.

I modified the Tiny3D example to handle a base file somewhat. I was able
to output a simple string into the Java Console based on a touch event of
the base file objects. But that's as far as I could get. My latest attempt
was to use VRML script nodes to return strings representing an object's
DEF name. I couldn't get this to work (ignorance of VRML scripting).

What recommendations are there for handling this? I would REALLY
appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Karlesky

Thu, 30 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Accessing Java objects in VRML

2. VRML touch sensor problem, bug?

3. java and vrml file access

4. file/data access in VRML with Java in script node

5. Exclusive file access or serial access to external file

6. Touch sensor behind other objects

7. two touch sensors in one object

8. Touch sensor on multiple objects

9. Check existense of object, without touching internal representation

10. Accessing 'non-file' WPS objects

11. RCR: Public C APIs for accessing File objects

12. Visual Object Cobol - File access denied error