EAI and coding to the EAI
Author Message
 EAI and coding to the EAI

We are working on a vrml project here that requires extensive use of the
EAI.  What I'm finding is that documentation is practically non-existent
out on the web concerning this.  Also I'm finding that nobody appears to
be really working with VRML (as the standard is unchanged since 97 and
no new books are out) anymore.  Is this a correct perception?  And if
so, how on earth do I find out how to even get access to the Java EAI
classes?  I installed the cortona VRML viewer (The cosmoplayer won't
install, and it appears that cosmo is no more as their web site has been
down for about 3 weeks now) and although it indicates EAI support, I
don't see where it is.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide on this matter!

-Luke

Tue, 25 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI and coding to the EAI
Luke,
Please look at vrml.org or web3d.org for  current activities, including
EAI.
Joe D W

Techno and Promo HyperMultiMedia

Tue, 25 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI and coding to the EAI

Quote:

> Luke,
> Please look at vrml.org or web3d.org for  current activities, including
> EAI.
> Joe D W

   Things are really dead there.  The last press release was in
August.

   It was never clear to me what big advantage re-expressing VRML in
XML syntax was supposed to provide that justified the conversion.

   Somebody needs to do a popular multiplayer game in VRML
to jumpstart the market.

                                                John Nagle
                                                Animats
                                                www.animats.com

Tue, 25 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI and coding to the EAI

While I don't use EAI in my worlds, I have a few links to sites that provide
information on the subject on my site. You can try these:

http://tecfa.unige.ch/guides/vrml/vrmlman
http://members.xoom.com/muratak/eaifaq.htm
http://home.hiwaay.net/~crispen/vrmlworks/faq

I work in VRML as a hobby and there are many others building worlds.  VRML
is not dead.  It's there to be used by anyone even though its hard to find a
CosmoPlayer plug-in.  Try this site:

http://www.karmanaut.com/cosmo/player/

Hope these links help and good luck on your project.

Ernest Rose
The E Cubed VRML Experience

Quote:

> We are working on a VRML project here that requires extensive use of the
> EAI.  What I'm finding is that documentation is practically non-existent
> out on the web concerning this.  Also I'm finding that nobody appears to
> be really working with VRML (as the standard is unchanged since 97 and
> no new books are out) anymore.  Is this a correct perception?  And if
> so, how on earth do I find out how to even get access to the Java EAI
> classes?  I installed the cortona VRML viewer (The cosmoplayer won't
> install, and it appears that cosmo is no more as their web site has been
> down for about 3 weeks now) and although it indicates EAI support, I
> don't see where it is.

> Thanks for any assistance you can provide on this matter!

> -Luke

Wed, 26 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI and coding to the EAI

Quote:

>> Luke,
>> Please look at vrml.org or web3d.org for  current activities, including
>> EAI.
>> Joe D W

>   Things are really dead there.  The last press release was in
>August.

>   It was never clear to me what big advantage re-expressing VRML in
>XML syntax was supposed to provide that justified the conversion.

>   Somebody needs to do a popular multiplayer game in VRML
>to jumpstart the market.

>                                            John Nagle
>                                            Animats
>                                            www.animats.com

Want a Multiplayer tank game? in vrml? Popular? that`s up to you!
I think it is ace for giving you new idea`s and maybe you might
contribute with some positive input.
I get flamed for saying it but it`s there at PG`s site!

Jake

Wed, 26 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI and coding to the EAI
See also official pages on web3D Consortium : www.web3d.org ;
and the SDSC pages on : www.sdsc.edu/vrml

Regards ;
e-SEB....................................................

Fri, 05 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI and coding to the EAI
The EAI was a Cosmo software innovation.  Essentially it provides
interprocess communication between the HTML document and the VRML scene it
contains.  The Cosmo software story is a long and sad one but in brief they
were shut down by Platinum software (and/or CA) and are no more.

The Cortona folks are still in action so I would suggest contacting them for
software support.

We did a couple of major projects using the EAI but I imagine I will have
some difficulty digging up the source files and documentation.  However, if
you are serious, I can try.

But you have to ask yourself, how long can this ridiculous void in the
delivery of interactive 3d content for the web remain empty???  Finally
computers have the grunt to kick this stuff out at smooth frame rates and
the ISO standard that started it all (VRML) lies languishing.

And yet MetaCreations, makers (buyers) of many innovative products (even if
you hate Kai's interfaces) have made a decision to sell all their existing
products, to focus purely on 'Metastream' a 3D object technology focused on
Ecommerce catalogues.  Sure metastream is neat, it encapsulates textures
with mesh and has a surprisingly effective progressive download
functionality, but hell, it's just an object system.  No environments, no
interactivity, no animation, no potential to develop games, multiuser blah
blah blah.

Maybe MPEG4 and its encapsulated 3D data streams will be our saviour.

I'm hoping,
Straynjer

Quote:
> We are working on a VRML project here that requires extensive use of the
> EAI.  What I'm finding is that documentation is practically non-existent
> out on the web concerning this.  Also I'm finding that nobody appears to
> be really working with VRML (as the standard is unchanged since 97 and
> no new books are out) anymore.  Is this a correct perception?  And if
> so, how on earth do I find out how to even get access to the Java EAI
> classes?  I installed the cortona VRML viewer (The cosmoplayer won't
> install, and it appears that cosmo is no more as their web site has been
> down for about 3 weeks now) and although it indicates EAI support, I
> don't see where it is.

> Thanks for any assistance you can provide on this matter!

> -Luke

Sat, 06 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Differences between EAI 1 and EAI 2

2. Difference between EAI and EAI 2nd generation?

3. Working EAI code/example

4. EAI and frames; EAI & IE

5. Question on Enterprise Application Integration (EAI)...

6. EAI with blaxxun...

7. Netscape 6 and CosmoPlayer+EAI

8. Saving your world, created by EAI

9. Externproto + eai