no vrml plug-in in IE5.5 ??
Author Message
 no vrml plug-in in IE5.5 ??

darn!  i recently got a bigger hard drive for my laptop and i put
ME on it and i just discovered that a vrml plug-in didn't get installed
for IE5.5.

is that a standard situation?  i had thought that a vrml reader would
be installed with IE by default.  i hate the idea of developing for
something thats not readable by default in a recent microsoft OS
build.

thanks, miker

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 07:36:44 GMT
 no vrml plug-in in IE5.5 ??
Blaxxun Contact 5.0 was released last week. I tested on Win 2000 today. It
ran very nicely under IE 5.5... though Netscape 6 had trouble loading
inline nodes with it. I'd recommend Contact for now.

Quote:

--
Aaron Bergstrom

WWW Site Developer
Plant Sciences - http://www.ndsu.edu/ndsu/abergstr/
Virtual Cell - http://vcell.ndsu.edu/
Archaeology Technologies Lab - http://atl.ndsu.edu/
North Dakota State University

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:48:01 GMT
 no vrml plug-in in IE5.5 ??
alot of browsers don't have VRML plugins integrated by default. good ones to
check out are cosmoplayer at www.cosmosoftware.com and cortona at
www.parallelgraphics.com
db

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:13:48 GMT
 no vrml plug-in in IE5.5 ??
What did you expect for Microsoft.

OE manufacturers and Microsoft haven't worked out which vrml browser is the
best, so they think to bothering is better. The fact that untill recently
Cosmo Player was owned by SGI may have played a part in Microsoft's
thinking. The other point to remember is that some people download IE from
the internet and adding 1.3 to 3 meg to the download may mean then deciding
not to get the option.

Also the plugin may not be tested/fully compatable with the OS at the
release date, though this is unlikely. One major Australian ISP/cable
company/phone company have said they have no plans to put a VRML plugin on
the install CD with the browsers and other plugins and have no VRML on their
cable system main pages.

Some individuals on this group imply that Parallel Graphics (makers of
Cortona) and Microsoft have some arrangment but as you have found this is
not true.

At least bug one of the internet magazines to put the Cosmo, Cortona, and
Blaxxun Contact on to their CDs so readers will have the plugin already.

Paul Aslin

Quote:
> darn!  i recently got a bigger hard drive for my laptop and i put
> ME on it and i just discovered that a vrml plug-in didn't get installed
> for IE5.5.

> is that a standard situation?  i had thought that a vrml reader would
> be installed with IE by default.  i hate the idea of developing for
> something thats not readable by default in a recent microsoft OS
> build.

> thanks, miker

Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:19:58 GMT
 no vrml plug-in in IE5.5 ??
New update for Cortona!       3.1    Fresh today!
http://www.parallelgraphics.com

Quote:
> darn!  i recently got a bigger hard drive for my laptop and i put
> ME on it and i just discovered that a vrml plug-in didn't get installed
> for IE5.5.

> is that a standard situation?  i had thought that a vrml reader would
> be installed with IE by default.  i hate the idea of developing for
> something thats not readable by default in a recent microsoft OS
> build.

> thanks, miker

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:52:25 GMT
 no vrml plug-in in IE5.5 ??
Another wee snippet it was Paragraph who sold it to SGI.  SGI formed Cosmo
and guess what Paragraph bought it back!
So your Cosmo is Parallelgraphics  :-))

Now figure it out for yourselves!

Jake Cortona rocks!!

Quote:
> What did you expect for Microsoft.

> OE manufacturers and Microsoft haven't worked out which vrml browser is
the
> best, so they think to bothering is better. The fact that untill recently
> Cosmo Player was owned by SGI may have played a part in Microsoft's
> thinking. The other point to remember is that some people download IE from
> the internet and adding 1.3 to 3 meg to the download may mean then
deciding
> not to get the option.

> Also the plugin may not be tested/fully compatable with the OS at the
> release date, though this is unlikely. One major Australian ISP/cable
> company/phone company have said they have no plans to put a VRML plugin on
> the install CD with the browsers and other plugins and have no VRML on
their
> cable system main pages.

> Some individuals on this group imply that Parallel Graphics (makers of
> Cortona) and Microsoft have some arrangment but as you have found this is
> not true.

> At least bug one of the internet magazines to put the Cosmo, Cortona, and
> Blaxxun Contact on to their CDs so readers will have the plugin already.

> Paul Aslin

> > darn!  i recently got a bigger hard drive for my laptop and i put
> > ME on it and i just discovered that a vrml plug-in didn't get installed
> > for IE5.5.

> > is that a standard situation?  i had thought that a vrml reader would
> > be installed with IE by default.  i hate the idea of developing for
> > something thats not readable by default in a recent microsoft OS
> > build.

> > thanks, miker

Wed, 20 Aug 2003 07:28:09 GMT
 no vrml plug-in in IE5.5 ??
my brain might be a bit fuzzy but i seem to recall microsoft even having
their own vrml development app there for a while.  or maybe it was 3D
but not vrml (i'm not talking about directX... it wasn't that.).  when i
found out that i didn't have a vrml browser on the ME build, i went to
microsoft to see if maybe they had a recommended one.  i searched
using vrml as a keyword and found nothing!  has microsoft gone anti-
vrml?

miker

Quote:
> darn!  i recently got a bigger hard drive for my laptop and i put
> ME on it and i just discovered that a vrml plug-in didn't get installed
> for IE5.5.

> is that a standard situation?  i had thought that a vrml reader would
> be installed with IE by default.  i hate the idea of developing for
> something thats not readable by default in a recent microsoft OS
> build.

> thanks, miker

Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:33:10 GMT
 no vrml plug-in in IE5.5 ??

Quote:

> Another wee snippet it was Paragraph who sold it to SGI.  SGI formed Cosmo
> and guess what Paragraph bought it back!
> So your Cosmo is Parallelgraphics  :-))

No, I don't think so. CosmoPlayer was built completely in house by
SGI/Cosmo. Later, part of Paragraph was bought by Cosmo, who did a new
version of Internet Space Builder (a Cosmo employee told me it was a
complete re-coding). After the demise of Cosmo, ParallelGraphics came up
with Version 3 of ISB, which I'm pretty sure was built up from the
original code for version 1. But CosmoPlayer was never a
Paragraph/ParallelGraphics product.

- Paul
***********************************
Paul S. Hoffman
Senior Interface Designer, Cognetics Corporation

Company URL - http://www.cognetics.com
Personal URL - http://pluto.njcc.com/~paulsam
609-799-5005 ext.237 - FAX 609-799-8555

Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:58:59 GMT
 no vrml plug-in in IE5.5 ??
Quote:
> my brain might be a bit fuzzy but i seem to recall microsoft even having
> their own vrml development app there for a while.  or maybe it was 3D
> but not vrml (i'm not talking about directX... it wasn't that.).  when i

yeah they used to have a VRML plugin, might ahve been worldview, or
something like that. was around a year or 2 ago, then slowly all references
to it dissapeared from the MS site (there were alot of dead links to it for
a long time,...).

Quote:
> found out that i didn't have a vrml browser on the ME build, i went to
> microsoft to see if maybe they had a recommended one.  i searched
> using vrml as a keyword and found nothing!  has microsoft gone anti-
> vrml?

maybe they are, but i wouldn't say that here, your likely to get evangelised
by P Flavin (he has very strong views about some {*filter*} by
ParallelGraphics and microsoft to destroy the VRML standard)
db

Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:37:58 GMT
 no vrml plug-in in IE5.5 ??

Quote:

> > Another wee snippet it was Paragraph who sold it to SGI.  SGI formed
Cosmo
> > and guess what Paragraph bought it back!
> > So your Cosmo is Parallelgraphics  :-))

> No, I don't think so. CosmoPlayer was built completely in house by
> SGI/Cosmo. Later, part of Paragraph was bought by Cosmo, who did a new
> version of Internet Space Builder (a Cosmo employee told me it was a
> complete re-coding). After the demise of Cosmo, ParallelGraphics came up
> with Version 3 of ISB, which I'm pretty sure was built up from the
> original code for version 1. But CosmoPlayer was never a
> Paragraph/ParallelGraphics product.

> - Paul
> ***********************************

OK fair one Paul, now tell me is Cosmo dead?
In 1989 ParaGraph became a Soviet-American Joint Venture.
In 1991 - ParaGraph International is incorporated as a US company.
In 1997 - Silicon Graphics Inc. acquires ParaGraph International.
From 1997 to 1998 - ParaGraph operates as an SGI subsidiary.
In 1998 - the Vadem Company, California purchases the Digital Ink division.
In July 1998 - ParallelGraphics is spun off in a management buyout from SGI
and retains all patent rights for its 3D Virtual Reality technologies.
ParallelGraphics' patent technologies enjoy commercial success. When buying
ParaGraph Int. Silicon Graphics Inc. aquired all its patents. After the spun
off in 1998 SGI retained its legal patent rights and ParallelGraphics
received licenses for using, modifying, transferring, selling and
distributing all ParaGraph's 3D technologies.

Jake

Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:23:14 GMT
 no vrml plug-in in IE5.5 ??
well, i don't wanna get anything started... i like to stick with the
technical
side and let somebody else buy the Wired magazines and read and write
the doj/microsoft articles.  but subverting the vrml standard is sorta
beating
a dead horse, isn't it?  i mean, its bout due for a reworking anyway, right?
isn't that what x3d is all about?

and parallelgraphics and microsoft appear to be at opposite ends of the
spectrum...  microsoft seems to just be apathetic (very superficial opinion
based on just a casual browsing of the microsoft site and finding nothing
keyed to vrml.) and parallelgraphics seems to be very deep-in to the vrml
scene.  i wouldn't be surprised in parallelgraphics wanted to change
things...
they appear to be experts.  they gotta have some strong opinions on where
vrml oughta be going.

big disclaimer on everything above:  i just stepped into the vrml scene
about
two weeks ago.  apologies for any major misconceptions on my part.

miker

Quote:
> > my brain might be a bit fuzzy but i seem to recall microsoft even having
> > their own vrml development app there for a while.  or maybe it was 3D
> > but not vrml (i'm not talking about directX... it wasn't that.).  when i
> yeah they used to have a VRML plugin, might ahve been worldview, or
> something like that. was around a year or 2 ago, then slowly all
references
> to it dissapeared from the MS site (there were alot of dead links to it
for
> a long time,...).

> > found out that i didn't have a vrml browser on the ME build, i went to
> > microsoft to see if maybe they had a recommended one.  i searched
> > using vrml as a keyword and found nothing!  has microsoft gone anti-
> > vrml?

> maybe they are, but i wouldn't say that here, your likely to get
evangelised
> by P Flavin (he has very strong views about some {*filter*} by
> ParallelGraphics and microsoft to destroy the VRML standard)
> db

Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:38:21 GMT

1. IE5 and VRML-Plugin

2. IE5 and VRML2 microsoft plugin with EAI

3. Plugin choices for IE5

4. Plugin choices for IE5

5. VRML on-the-fly and IE5

6. Problems with MS VRML Contol and IE5

7. Swing inside IE5 VRML Browser?

8. IE5 upgrade to MIcrosoft (WorldView) 2.1 VRML viewer

9. vrml - java - ie5, ns 4

10. IE5, JavaScript & VRML-enable detection

11. Problem with 20MB(ascii) VRML file, Cortona 2.2, IE5, W98

12. VRML plugin