EAI+Applet =>save to HD
Author Message
 EAI+Applet =>save to HD

HEllo again!!

   I create an Applet that using EAI for create a WRL. My question is: Is
possible to write the *.wrl in the HD from the Applet?

 Beacause is a Security violation. Maybe firm the Applet????

Thanks.

 Excuse me for my english.

Tue, 17 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI+Applet =>save to HD

 I've done vrml EAI successfully but have stopped working
with it because there are so many problems with portability and
 am -- and advise other to also -- to use Java without the
VRML plug-in viewers.

 You are correct, Java's built in security features prohibit
applets from writing to the hard drive ( Java _ applications _
can write to the disk, but I do not think you can have applications
working with the VRML plug-ins using EAI ( because it's not
working through the browser ).

  If you want to export only a few relatively small fragments
of code you can write to a TextArea field and copy and paste
the text to another file, or you write use System.err.println( )
and it will go to the Java Console and / or log files and you
again, can copy it from there.

  Another option is to have a Java Web Server going
( I'm doing that on Windows-95 ) then you can write to
the Java Web Server ( another program ) and it can store
the files for you ... it works ... but it's a complicated solution
if you don't already have it setup ... which gets us back to the
first point ... that using just Java is the simpler solution ...

 " VRML EAI FAQ " and Demo  ( VRML Interfacing with Java )
  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/eaifaq.html

  " People Poser of  H-Anim Avatars"  ( VRML EAI )
  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/HAnimPoser.html

 " You control Avatars "   VRML & Java _ NO _ EAI or Script
  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/H-Anim_Avatars.html

   I'm using Shout3d ( with Java 1.0 and Java 1.1 ) to work
with VRML on the Web

  Portable across : Windows, Macintosh, Linux, Symbian EPOC ...

 and Java3D ( with the same VRML data files ) with Java 2
and running them as _ applications _ so I can and do then
easily save data files, including making and saving ".mov"ies.

 You can also write your own VRML viewer with Java ...
or copy and modify existing open source Java 3d Engines :

  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/java3dviewer.html
  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/java3d_and_vrml.html
  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/great_3d_java.html
  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/servlets_intro.html

Quote:
>  I create an Applet that using EAI for create a WRL.
>  My question is: Is it possible to write the *.wrl to the
>  Hard Drive from the Applet?

>  Because is a Security violation. Maybe from the Applet????

  The VRML plug-ins still have performance advantages over
Java 1.1 applets which still makes them the preferred solution
when the requirements demand highly complex models and
high rendering speeds, but when simpler models are used,
or the complexity of the animation is relatively high, or where
portability is more important ... then Java with Shout3d,
Blaxxun3d, or Anfy3d ( the Java 1 viewers ) or other Java
" 3d Engines " are easier and more portable ... and Java3d
is great for off-line applications when you have the hardware
accelerators and the rest ( OpenGL, Java 2 ).

   -- Paul,  Java Developer & Web Animator.
 "Imaging the Imagined : Modeling with Math & a Keyboard"

Wed, 18 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI+Applet =>save to HD
Or you could try to sign your applets. Different for IE and
Netscape. Signed applets, presumably, as trusted entities
could write a file on user's computer. But that you would
need a valid certificate which costs money to mark your code
as really trustable.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 21 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. saving HTML on MAC HD

2. EAI: getBrowser(Applet,frame,index)

3. Need Help with Applet,VRML-EAI

4. EAI - timing problem between applet and wrl

5. Communication between EAI and Applet

6. EAI with Applet Viewer???

7. Applet changing using EAI

8. EAI Applet in Communicator 4.5 problem

9. Linking Cosmo and an applet in EAI

10. EAI, applet get/send information from/to browser

11. HOW2?: Communication EAI - JAVA applet inside VRML file

12. asynchronous EAI applet and VRML browser?