cosmo software sells...software.
Author Message
 cosmo software sells...software.

let's see.

no public word as to the fate of cosmo software and its products.
though all we hear is the net buzz of  "its all over".."no buyers"  and
"everyones fired"

all we've seen in the last few weeks on this board  are messages about
"release" versions of plugins  that don't seem to work .

all we've seen at the Cosmo website has been---on--off--on and
nothing...until today....

now the only news from  cosmo software is a new banner on thier site
claiming  that "we should try and BUY" their products"- no mention of
the companies current status or plans.
this from a company that "may or may not" even exist. let's see....buy
software thats at best "ready for an upgrade and a bug fix" from a
company that is out of buisness.....disgraceful.

very sad to have to had written this.
larry rosenthal

ps- more new mutliuser vrml at cube3.com ... none at the AOL mirror site
of Starbase C3 .-wonder why?..

Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 cosmo software sells...software.

|> now the only news from  cosmo software is a new banner on thier site
|> claiming  that "we should try and BUY" their products"- no mention of
|> the companies current status or plans.
|> this from a company that "may or may not" even exist. let's see....buy
|> software thats at best "ready for an upgrade and a bug fix" from a
|> company that is out of buisness.....disgraceful.

I'm sure the folks who set up the Cosmo web site would be more than
happy to fix these problems if someone were to pay them to do so.
You see, they don't have jobs any more. So where exactly does the
"disgraceful" part come into play?

----

Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 cosmo software sells...software.
paul,
what's disgraceful is that the changed banner ad "asking people to BUY cosmo
software" appeared only a few days ago....the ONLY update to the corporate site, well
after all the reports made publically and "online" of cosmos fate were well known
"only" to those following the companies existance closely.----

for all purposes..cosmo software is a living, thriving company,,selling its products
to anyone who appears at their site...at least thats what the updated changed banner
tells me.

as someone with a commercial site that utilizes vrml and the tools required to use
it, i find that edit to the site-"disgraceful"....

larryr.

Quote:

> |> now the only news from  cosmo software is a new banner on thier site
> |> claiming  that "we should try and BUY" their products"- no mention of
> |> the companies current status or plans.
> |> this from a company that "may or may not" even exist. let's see....buy
> |> software thats at best "ready for an upgrade and a bug fix" from a
> |> company that is out of buisness.....disgraceful.

> I'm sure the folks who set up the Cosmo web site would be more than
> happy to fix these problems if someone were to pay them to do so.
> You see, they don't have jobs any more. So where exactly does the
> "disgraceful" part come into play?

> ----

Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 cosmo software sells...software.
paul,
what's disgraceful is that the changed banner ad "asking people to BUY cosmo
software" appeared only a few days ago....the ONLY update to the corporate site, well
after all the reports made publically and "online" of cosmos fate were well known
"only" to those following the companies existance closely.----

for all purposes..cosmo software is a living, thriving company,,selling its products
to anyone who appears at their site...at least thats what the updated changed banner
tells me.

as someone with a commercial site that utilizes vrml and the tools required to use
it, i find that edit to the site-"disgraceful"....

larryr.

Quote:

> |> now the only news from  cosmo software is a new banner on thier site
> |> claiming  that "we should try and BUY" their products"- no mention of
> |> the companies current status or plans.
> |> this from a company that "may or may not" even exist. let's see....buy
> |> software thats at best "ready for an upgrade and a bug fix" from a
> |> company that is out of buisness.....disgraceful.

> I'm sure the folks who set up the Cosmo web site would be more than
> happy to fix these problems if someone were to pay them to do so.
> You see, they don't have jobs any more. So where exactly does the
> "disgraceful" part come into play?

> ----

Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 cosmo software sells...software.
I assume the web site is being paid for by the {*filter*}, re-fi and
insurance ads.
(We should have known the end was near when those popped up.)
Cosmo just spent too much money on development and too little on marketing.
All I want to know is, when can I buy their great products at fire sale prices.
Quote:

> You see, they don't have jobs any more. So where exactly does the
> "disgraceful" part come into play?

> ----

Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 cosmo software sells...software.
|> paul,
|> what's disgraceful is that the changed banner ad "asking people to BUY cosmo
|> software" appeared only a few days ago....the ONLY update to the corporate site, well
|> after all the reports made publically and "online" of cosmos fate were well known
|> "only" to those following the companies existance closely.----
|>
|> for all purposes..cosmo software is a living, thriving company,,selling its products
|> to anyone who appears at their site...at least thats what the updated changed banner
|> tells me.
|>
|> as someone with a commercial site that utilizes vrml and the tools required to use
|> it, i find that edit to the site-"disgraceful"....

Oh, really? I just checked the file log for the main page and the "Try and Buy"
stuff was added on June 3rd.  Also, no changes have been made to any of the
Cosmo web pages since early July. (Which is understandable, since the people
who update them no longer have jobs. Have I mentioned that before?)

----

Mon, 15 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 cosmo software sells...software.

Quote:

> Also, no changes have been made to any of the Cosmo web pages since
> early July. (Which is understandable, since the people who update them
> no longer have jobs. Have I mentioned that before?)

Paul, could you please explain to me how this works. How long is the
website going tho be up (if it's ever going to be removed). If it's
going down, do you have any idea where the content will be placed? There
are lots of good and useful stuff in there that I wouldn't want to go
away.
Also, can you tell me if it's legal to mirror download of CP (PC and
*MAC*) on my homepage/ftp?

Sincerly hope (and belive) all those good and skilled people at
CosmoSoftware we all got to know and appreciate get some new and
interesting jobs.

I vote for putting a BIG sign all over the frontpage "For SALE" :)

/Niclas
--
Niclas Olofsson           Ume? University, Sweden
Pedagoggr?nd 1A-210       Student, Dep. of Computing Science

                          http://www.acc.umu.se/~gurun
--
"En seglare ber inte om medvind, han l?r sig segla"

Mon, 15 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 cosmo software sells...software.
the image-ad showing four boxes of products appeared only a few days ago. it replaced an
animated vrml adlet of swirling colors.etc.that had been in its location.

whatever your logs indicate..what appears to the consumer and when is what matters. its
plain to anyone that the sight has been dormant for weeks..until this change.
-and the inclusion of a "pop" up window telling us to download cosmo player 2.1......i doubt
I'm the only one recieving these files when logging onto the site;) both appeared the same
day.

you harp on lost jobs...sorry..but sgi and cosmo software are to be held accountable for the
marketing and sales of their products..and the outcome of their business plans....not i.

my activities promoting vrml and 3d on the web/(and as a by- product cosmo products) are
known publically enough.

larryr
c3

Quote:

> |> paul,
> |> what's disgraceful is that the changed banner ad "asking people to BUY cosmo
> |> software" appeared only a few days ago....the ONLY update to the corporate site, well
> |> after all the reports made publically and "online" of cosmos fate were well known
> |> "only" to those following the companies existance closely.----
> |>
> |> for all purposes..cosmo software is a living, thriving company,,selling its products
> |> to anyone who appears at their site...at least thats what the updated changed banner
> |> tells me.
> |>
> |> as someone with a commercial site that utilizes vrml and the tools required to use
> |> it, i find that edit to the site-"disgraceful"....

> Oh, really? I just checked the file log for the main page and the "Try and Buy"
> stuff was added on June 3rd.  Also, no changes have been made to any of the
> Cosmo web pages since early July. (Which is understandable, since the people
> who update them no longer have jobs. Have I mentioned that before?)

> ----

Mon, 15 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 cosmo software sells...software.

Lighten up Larry. I can assure you that no one has updated the Cosmo Site
since the Sony deal fell through. I will personally update everyone here
about the fate of the products (including where they can buy them) once
it is official.

Bill McCloskey
former VRML evangelist for Cosmo Software

Quote:
> the image-ad showing four boxes of products appeared only a few days ago. it replaced an
> animated vrml adlet of swirling colors.etc.that had been in its location.

> whatever your logs indicate..what appears to the consumer and when is what matters. its
> plain to anyone that the sight has been dormant for weeks..until this change.
> -and the inclusion of a "pop" up window telling us to download cosmo player 2.1......i doubt
> I'm the only one recieving these files when logging onto the site;) both appeared the same
> day.

> you harp on lost jobs...sorry..but sgi and cosmo software are to be held accountable for the
> marketing and sales of their products..and the outcome of their business plans....not i.

> my activities promoting vrml and 3d on the web/(and as a by- product cosmo products) are
> known publically enough.

> larryr
> c3

> > Oh, really? I just checked the file log for the main page and the "Try and Buy"
> > stuff was added on June 3rd.  Also, no changes have been made to any of the
> > Cosmo web pages since early July. (Which is understandable, since the people
> > who update them no longer have jobs. Have I mentioned that before?)

> > ----

Mon, 15 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 cosmo software sells...software.

Quote:

> Lighten up Larry. I can assure you that no one has updated the Cosmo Site
> since the Sony deal fell through. I will personally update everyone here
> about the fate of the products (including where they can buy them) once
> it is official.

> Bill McCloskey
> former VRML evangelist for Cosmo Software

Oh, if you are so close to the heat, then maybe you could carry on
this message to the decision makers:

If CosmoSoftware can't be saved (as it looks like), at least try to
save CosmoPlayer, PLEASE! I DO think it is the best VRML browser now,
and it ought to be maintained. I see one way to do that: release
the source to the public, i.e. under GPL like Netscape did. I am sure
a lot of enthusiastic developer (e.g. form the Linux world) would take
on bug-fixing and further development voluntarily.

I am sory for those guys who wrote it and now being left without a job,
and I know this 'solution' does not realy help them, but at least they
can stay famous having their name in the GPL source...

Zsolt
--
If you want to reply directly to me, remove the dot from my username!

"Windows has detected that the mouse has moved, please REBOOT for
this change to take effect!" - from M$ Win00 (Not Y2K compliant)

Tue, 16 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. We're selling software!

2. I sell some software for 50$ 6549

3. Check it out (software selling) 3148

4. Selling software

5. We are selling software 2511

6. Selling software

7. I sell some software for 50$ 9932

8. Software for selling 8840

9. We're selling software!

10. Looking to buy or sell your Clarion software?

11. We need MORE Software to SELL

12. We need more Software to Sell