Help please: various positioninterpolator-type-things
Author Message
 Help please: various positioninterpolator-type-things

Hi,

I have made an animated indexfacedset raven (looking more like a stealth
bomber), which i want to move away when the user gets near it. I have
succeded in doing this (i have modified someone elses), but i have a
couple of queries:

1: i want the raven to turn round (it flys to one place, you get there,
and it flys back to the original) while flying - is it possible to do
this? at the moment it would just move sideways or backwards..

2: I've found that i can make the initial shape of the raven totally
different from when it's flying, but is there any way of getting it back
to this initial shape when it reaches its destination? it looks a little
odd sitting on the ground with its wings spread out!

3: If 2 is not possible, would it be possible to make the raven follow a
loop (spiralling around a tower, for example), until the user got close,
then fly off to the new location?

4: is this going to involve lots of (eek!) vrmlscript?!

Thanks,

gReat
--
     _     _  __             __  _     _
 _  ( '._.' )(  '._.gReat._.'  )( '._.' )  _

     "One day, i will grind on the sun"

        or

Fri, 30 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help please: various positioninterpolator-type-things

Quote:

> I have made an animated indexfacedset raven (looking more like a stealth
> bomber), which i want to move away when the user gets near it. I have
> succeded in doing this (i have modified someone elses), but i have a
> couple of queries:

> 1: i want the raven to turn round (it flys to one place, you get there,
> and it flys back to the original) while flying - is it possible to do
> this? at the moment it would just move sideways or backwards..

> 2: I've found that i can make the initial shape of the raven totally
> different from when it's flying, but is there any way of getting it back
> to this initial shape when it reaches its destination? it looks a little
> odd sitting on the ground with its wings spread out!

> 3: If 2 is not possible, would it be possible to make the raven follow a
> loop (spiralling around a tower, for example), until the user got close,
> then fly off to the new location?

> 4: is this going to involve lots of (eek!) vrmlscript?!

All the things above are quite possible, and yes, they do involve
some JavaScript or Java, depending on which one is most comfortable
for you, but not a huge amount.

For item 1, I'd have a PositionInterpolator and an
OrientationInterpolator that did the whole circuit, forward and
back -- it's the OrientationInterpolator that makes it turn around.
Then I'd use the script to play with the start and stop times of
the TimeSensor that's connected to these interpolators (or else
modify the time as it passed through the script from the
TimeSensor to the interpolators) so that it would do half the
circuit when the visitor's avatar was one place and the other
half of the circuit when it was in the other place.

For 2, it's the same sort of thing.  If you're using a Switch
node to change the shape, use the false-going edge of the
isActive flag from the TimeSensor to put him back the way he was.

These ought to be very tiny scripts.

For 3, unless you want to write the arithmetic to determine that
the raven is close enough to the tower, I'd just set up the
animation to do the whole scenario -- spiral 10 times or whatever
and then fly away.  You don't need a script for that one.
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
crispen at hiwaay dot net

Any PC built after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil
spirit. -- Rev. Jim Peaseboro, _The Devil in the Machine_

Fri, 30 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Help please: various positioninterpolator-type-things
thanks, i'll get working on it!

Quote:

> > I have made an animated indexfacedset raven (looking more like a stealth
> > bomber), which i want to move away when the user gets near it. I have
> > succeded in doing this (i have modified someone elses), but i have a
> > couple of queries:

> > 1: i want the raven to turn round (it flys to one place, you get there,
> > and it flys back to the original) while flying - is it possible to do
> > this? at the moment it would just move sideways or backwards..

> > 2: I've found that i can make the initial shape of the raven totally
> > different from when it's flying, but is there any way of getting it back
> > to this initial shape when it reaches its destination? it looks a little
> > odd sitting on the ground with its wings spread out!

> > 3: If 2 is not possible, would it be possible to make the raven follow a
> > loop (spiralling around a tower, for example), until the user got close,
> > then fly off to the new location?

> > 4: is this going to involve lots of (eek!) vrmlscript?!

> All the things above are quite possible, and yes, they do involve
> some JavaScript or Java, depending on which one is most comfortable
> for you, but not a huge amount.

> For item 1, I'd have a PositionInterpolator and an
> OrientationInterpolator that did the whole circuit, forward and
> back -- it's the OrientationInterpolator that makes it turn around.
> Then I'd use the script to play with the start and stop times of
> the TimeSensor that's connected to these interpolators (or else
> modify the time as it passed through the script from the
> TimeSensor to the interpolators) so that it would do half the
> circuit when the visitor's avatar was one place and the other
> half of the circuit when it was in the other place.

> For 2, it's the same sort of thing.  If you're using a Switch
> node to change the shape, use the false-going edge of the
> isActive flag from the TimeSensor to put him back the way he was.

> These ought to be very tiny scripts.

> For 3, unless you want to write the arithmetic to determine that
> the raven is close enough to the tower, I'd just set up the
> animation to do the whole scenario -- spiral 10 times or whatever
> and then fly away.  You don't need a script for that one.
> --
> Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
> crispen at hiwaay dot net

> Any PC built after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil
> spirit. -- Rev. Jim Peaseboro, _The Devil in the Machine_

--
     _     _  __             __  _     _
 _  ( '._.' )(  '._.gReat._.'  )( '._.' )  _
  '._)     (__)               (__)     (_.'

     "One day, i will grind on the sun"

         or

Fri, 30 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Please Help: Copying files using GS-VW

2. ***HELP***HELP***HELP***Please.

3. HELP !..PLEASE,PLEASe,PLEAse,PLEase,PLease,Please,please.....

4. compiling ftp.dei.isep.ipp.pt/pub/forth/various/basic.txt with win32forth

7. Please Help....................COBOL/400

8. Problem With Variables Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. please, please, please, please, help