my old VRML thing 
Author Message
 my old VRML thing

Hiya about 2 years ago I did a 3D CV in vrml I just thought people might be
interested to see it, don't know up to you. ;-)

 It's best seen with the Cosmo VRML viewer, but that was nearly 2 years ago,
so what people are using now I don't know. But anyway here it is if you want
see it.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

(It's still on the university gallary, even thou I dropped out to work) ;-)



Tue, 02 Sep 2003 00:09:50 GMT  
 my old VRML thing
Cheers! Joe it is still Cool!!!!!! A nice piece of work.

Jake


Quote:
> Hiya about 2 years ago I did a 3D CV in VRML I just thought people might
be
> interested to see it, don't know up to you. ;-)

>  It's best seen with the Cosmo VRML viewer, but that was nearly 2 years
ago,
> so what people are using now I don't know. But anyway here it is if you
want
> see it.

> http://www.hud.ac.uk/schools/engineering/undgrad/mmvr/joe/index.htm

> (It's still on the university gallary, even thou I dropped out to work)
;-)



Tue, 02 Sep 2003 01:45:32 GMT  
 my old VRML thing
Its very cool.

The panels attached the the chains which are the triggers should be slightly
closer to the viewpoints as the are sometimes inside the doors. Other than
that small point I very impressive.

You should put a copy elsewhere on the web just in case the uni change
servers/url etc.
The is unlimited free space at NBCi.
http://www.nbci.com/

Paul Aslin
http://vrmlworld.users5.50megs.com


Quote:
> Hiya about 2 years ago I did a 3D CV in VRML I just thought people might
be
> interested to see it, don't know up to you. ;-)

>  It's best seen with the Cosmo VRML viewer, but that was nearly 2 years
ago,
> so what people are using now I don't know. But anyway here it is if you
want
> see it.

> http://www.hud.ac.uk/schools/engineering/undgrad/mmvr/joe/index.htm

> (It's still on the university gallary, even thou I dropped out to work)
;-)



Tue, 02 Sep 2003 11:47:35 GMT  
 my old VRML thing
Glad you like it.

 Got some other stuff online aswell, did you look at the gallary, those all
my old pictures I use to do when I was about 16.

my evoling java ants
http://jabjoe.topcities.com/work/programming/java/joeant/
(if it flickers give it time, it will stop)
(about a year old)

my C++ OpenGL flying dragon
http://jabjoe.topcities.com/work/programming/opengl/dragon.zip
(about 6 months old)

--
Joe Burmeister
(r&d software developer)
_____________________________________________________
2000cities.com
http://www.2000cities.com [the 3D internet platform]
tel : +31 30 677 42 00
fax : +31 30 677 42 90


Quote:
> Cheers! Joe it is still Cool!!!!!! A nice piece of work.

> Jake



> > Hiya about 2 years ago I did a 3D CV in VRML I just thought people might
> be
> > interested to see it, don't know up to you. ;-)

> >  It's best seen with the Cosmo VRML viewer, but that was nearly 2 years
> ago,
> > so what people are using now I don't know. But anyway here it is if you
> want
> > see it.

> > http://www.hud.ac.uk/schools/engineering/undgrad/mmvr/joe/index.htm

> > (It's still on the university gallary, even thou I dropped out to work)
> ;-)



Sat, 06 Sep 2003 18:26:37 GMT  
 my old VRML thing
Hi Joe !

Nice idea for homepage...

I read that you studied virtual reality design or so at Huddersfield...
I didn't know it was possible to study such a field !
Here in Germany hardly anyone knows something about VRML not to mention
studiyng it !
I would like to hear how it was like; what did you learn there ?
Is there a possibility to study online somewhere in GB or in US ?

thanx in advance
Norbert



Sun, 07 Sep 2003 03:52:45 GMT  
 my old VRML thing

Quote:
> Hi Joe !

> Nice idea for homepage...

 Thanks. I spent a bit of time deciding the best way of using a 3D interface
with 2D display methord (screen) and input (mouse). Then I dressed it with
my old graphic style (if you saw the picture you see that I started doing
that kind of thing at 16).

Quote:

> I read that you studied virtual reality design or so at Huddersfield...
> I didn't know it was possible to study such a field !
> Here in Germany hardly anyone knows something about VRML not to mention
> studiyng it !
> I would like to hear how it was like; what did you learn there ?
> Is there a possibility to study online somewhere in GB or in US ?

 Ah, now 'studied' thats an interesting word. I taught myself nearly
everything I know. I didn't have any classes in VRML (or JAVA,C++,OpenGL,
etc).

 I didn't think much of the course to be honest. In the two years I was
there I was the only one who made anything that could come under VR. Bascily
they were running a website design course and decided they could get away
with bulted VR as a sister path. The first few week were all introduction to
computers (this is keyboard this is a mouse sort of thing). To learn the
things I felt I would need in industray I had to disregard what the course
was teaching and teach myself. This VRML CV thing, was the only thing that
fitted in with what they wanted of me. The only other thing was my a-life
JAVA ants, and then won't pleased that I took a week not doing their work
making the ant evole rather then follow my commands. To be honest that was
the final straw. I dropped out. I spend 6 months unemployed looking for 3D
IT work, without industral experence or relavent qualifications. During this
time I moved from C (which I had rewritten a 3D engine arty thing in and
nearly failed the first year because they just didn't know how to mark it
for the project set (multimedia toy)) to C++ and I also taught myself OpenGL
and finailized moving from the RiscOS platform to Windows (ie starting
programming and modelling on the PC). I now work in Holland as a C++
programmer (some Delphi too, also some modelling and texture art) mainly on
graphics side of things. It a 3D internet company called 2000cities.

 What I'm trying to say is that I think that you will be -very- disapointed
in any course on this sort of subject. I think the best thing to do if you
want to learn things like VRML is to get a book and sit down and learn it.
That was my expience anyway. I still wondering if I should find some course
that I can get myself to stay on without storming off again to finish my
degree. But I wondering if it's worth it now I'm clocking up work expience.

 If you want to learn VRML I would recommend

VRML 2.0 Sourcebook, 2nd Edition
by Andrea L. Ames, David R. Nadeau, John L. Moreland

I hope I've been of some help, and that it's not come across as a 'uni a
load of b*llocks' rant.

Cacth ya later

Joe.



Sun, 07 Sep 2003 17:32:51 GMT  
 my old VRML thing
Whew !!!
That was surely not was I expected since german uni's often get criticiced
for beeing not internationally competitive enough in such "modern" fields.
I for myself got onto VRML in a course that was titled s.l. "VRML" back in
'97 and it sounded interesting so I attended. It was very good...held by
some people that worked in a 3D company that was founded as a universtity
technology spinoff...
It was all about VRML and everyone could do a project off his liking or some
predefined projects. Also everyone had to hold a seminary about a specific
theme ( a set of nodes related to eachother e.g. ). it was very nice and
high-level...
I learned very much VRML in a short period of time and built my first
Virtual soloar system with textures, orbits, all rotations of planatary axes
and stuff plus sunset and sunrise...
I was cool but I never put a homepage up for it...sad...
It seemed to be really good because the guys at the course asked me
afterwards if I could work for them doing some VRML projects.
I think that's the way universtity teaching should work and CAN work.
So maybe the situation regarding VR teaching is not that bad around here...
Two years later courses on Java3D followed and the next year X3D.
O.t.o.h. it's just one Universtity in Germany so what does that say about
the who?e situation ?
And besides that a spinoff HAS got to have some interest in pushing new
technologies to the uni's, haven't they ?

thanks anyway Joe and good luck
Norbert

PS : a quick and selfreliant learner will always get a better job methinks



Mon, 08 Sep 2003 23:04:33 GMT  
 my old VRML thing
Sounds like you course was much more together then mine. As you proberly
gathered I wasn't too impressed with my old course. If I do go back to
university system it will be to course that lets me just get on with it, or
a course than will teach things I need to know at the level I need to know
them. But I don't think any university course does anything like '3D
computer art and advanced OpenGL from low level programming', but if I did
find one then that would be the one for me. ;-)

 Thanks for the info on the German system. Sounds much better. But maybe the
VR courses in London are a better judge of the UK, don't know, didn't look
at them. (might do now)


Quote:
> Whew !!!
> That was surely not was I expected since german uni's often get criticiced
> for beeing not internationally competitive enough in such "modern" fields.
> I for myself got onto VRML in a course that was titled s.l. "VRML" back in
> '97 and it sounded interesting so I attended. It was very good...held by
> some people that worked in a 3D company that was founded as a universtity
> technology spinoff...
> It was all about VRML and everyone could do a project off his liking or
some
> predefined projects. Also everyone had to hold a seminary about a specific
> theme ( a set of nodes related to eachother e.g. ). it was very nice and
> high-level...
> I learned very much VRML in a short period of time and built my first
> Virtual soloar system with textures, orbits, all rotations of planatary
axes
> and stuff plus sunset and sunrise...
> I was cool but I never put a homepage up for it...sad...
> It seemed to be really good because the guys at the course asked me
> afterwards if I could work for them doing some VRML projects.
> I think that's the way universtity teaching should work and CAN work.
> So maybe the situation regarding VR teaching is not that bad around
here...
> Two years later courses on Java3D followed and the next year X3D.
> O.t.o.h. it's just one Universtity in Germany so what does that say about
> the who?e situation ?
> And besides that a spinoff HAS got to have some interest in pushing new
> technologies to the uni's, haven't they ?

> thanks anyway Joe and good luck
> Norbert

> PS : a quick and selfreliant learner will always get a better job methinks



Tue, 09 Sep 2003 17:21:56 GMT  
 
 [ 8 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. VRML browser dos thing I started.

2. Old VRML Editors

3. Old vrml browser for a mac 7,5

4. VRML bad for old servers?

5. TBrowse: Teach an old dog old tricks

6. Old Old rmcobol

7. Problem: Old Code/Older Compiler

8. (OT) Back in the old old days ...

9. from near VRML to REAL VRML : My first EAI / Java / VRML Humanoid Avatar

10. IE6 +VRML + javascript in VRML trouble (was: problem using javascript window.open in VRML)

11. VRML 2000 : Platform Independence Keeps VRML alive

12. Rapid flipping between 2 VRML-1 files with VRML-2

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software