Can't see text
Author Message
 Can't see text

I can't see any text.  Instead I see a flat box about the
size that the text should be.  I'm running Windows 95.
I've installed Direct X7.  I tried installing Cosmos, but
in setup IE was not listed as an option, only NetScape
and "other authoring tools".  Next I tried World View.
It installed fine, but when I click on a .wrl file, I've first
asked if I want to download the file (from my harddrive)
then World View starts and just hangs.  I reinstalled
the Winddows vrml browser and at least got back
to where I started.  However, I still can't see text objects.

Would appreciate any help.
Rob

Sun, 05 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Can't see text

Quote:

> I can't see any text.  Instead I see a flat box about the
> size that the text should be.  I'm running Windows 95.
> I've installed Direct X7.  I tried installing Cosmos, but
> in setup IE was not listed as an option, only NetScape
> and "other authoring tools".  Next I tried World View.
> It installed fine, but when I click on a .wrl file, I've first
> asked if I want to download the file (from my harddrive)
> then World View starts and just hangs.  I reinstalled
> the Winddows VRML browser and at least got back
> to where I started.  However, I still can't see text objects.

Now that Cosmo Software's back on the air, you can get
Cosmo Player for MSIE, and I believe it works fine.  I
never had much luck with WorldView for MSIE, either the
one from the Microsoft site or the one on the Intervista
site.  But, as I've been reminded several times, I have
a slow, old machine.  An older version of WorldView did
the same thing with text that you're talking about until
I installed Riven, which installed DirectX 6.  I haven't
installed DirectX 7 yet, and it's barely possible that
7 breaks the text thing that DirectX 6 fixed.

You might want to try uninstalling the Microsoft VRML
control for MSIE (which is really just an older version
of WorldView) and installing blaxxun Contact.  I've had
very good results with Contact in MSIE, and most people
have also had good results with Cosmo Player and MSIE.
--
Bob Crispen
crispen at hiwaay dot net

Sun, 05 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Can't see text
Rob-

Right click on the WV screen to bring up the menu and uncheck "display
high quality text". (That choice may be located in a lower level menu. I
can't get to my WV right now to confirm this.)

--
David Knoebel
http://www.clickpoetry.com

Mon, 06 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Can't see text

Quote:
> I can't see any text.  Instead I see a flat box about the
> size that the text should be.  I'm running Windows 95.
> I've installed Direct X7.  I tried installing Cosmos, but
> in setup IE was not listed as an option, only NetScape
> and "other authoring tools".  Next I tried World View.
> It installed fine, but when I click on a .wrl file, I've first
> asked if I want to download the file (from my harddrive)
> then World View starts and just hangs.  I reinstalled
> the Winddows VRML browser and at least got back
> to where I started.  However, I still can't see text objects.

> Would appreciate any help.
> Rob

It might work to set your display to 16-bit color (64K colors) because
WorldView did that funny text thing on mine too when I had it set to 24-bit
color.  As far as how World View hangs, that happened to me too.  You DO NOT
want to install the latest version because it does that.  The older version
of the MS WV called MSVRML2C (which comes with Win98 and you used to be able
to download) is what does work, so you have to remove everything that goes
with the newer version and reinstall the older one.  That's how I got it to
work on my computer (old upgraded 200MHz PB with 4MB video upgrade.)

Mon, 06 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

2. It's not bad canned meat...

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. It's not bad canned meat...

5. It's not bad canned meat...

6. I'm not seeing Matz's posts on the mailing list

7. have you seen this text?

8. ISI newsletter (For those who haven't seen it)

9. I hadn't seen this before...

10. URL's seen in comp.lang.functional

11. Not seeing today's ruby-talk ML items on comp.lang.ruby

12. URL's seen in comp.lang.ada