3D Cards and Cosmo Products
Author Message
 3D Cards and Cosmo Products

I have had problems using CosmoWorlds and CosmoPlayer with Riva
128/TNT/TNT2/TNT2 Ultra based cards.  Has anyone else had problems?

--

Mon, 06 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 3D Cards and Cosmo Products

Mon, 06 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 3D Cards and Cosmo Products
Hello,

Ive got this grump about Compaq's, i cant prove anything yet but most 3D
cards I try in them (professional & {*filter*}) are woeful with cosmo, if
they get of the mark in the first place - most crash (sieze) the
machines. I'm getting one of there engineers to have a good look under
the hood of their config but what i am unsure about is how Cosmo
performs on dual cpu setups.

My question is not wether cosmo multithreads nicely its wether anyone
knows of conflicts (multithreading badly) on dual cpu systems.

Or is it a Compaq thing ??

NT4 sp3/4/5
Netscape 4.0~4.7
CosmoPlayer 2.1~2.1.1

Thanx

--
Garry Keltie

InteractiveInformationInstitute &
School of Architecture and Design
RMIT

Tue, 07 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 3D Cards and Cosmo Products
Are you "forcing software rendering" -- cosmo preferences??

Quote:

--
Garry Keltie

InteractiveInformationInstitute &
School of Architecture and Design
RMIT

Tue, 07 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 3D Cards and Cosmo Products
Garry,

I work for an archaeology lab that runs a Dell 610 workstation with
Win NT, Dual 450 processors w/1mb or cache each, 1GB ram, and a 3dlabs GMX
2000 3D card.  At first there were some problems where using cosmoplayer
would lock up the entire system... but after some investigating we found
that cosmoplayer didn't function properly with Netscape 4.5 because of our
system configuration... we switched to Netscape 4.61.  For the most part
cosmoplayer now runs great, the only exception being that the line which
connects to the mouse pointer while dragging sometimes flickers... but
that is minor... try switching around your browser... sometimes IE works
better, sometimes Netscape works better... it all depends on your system
setup.

: Hello,

: Ive got this grump about Compaq's, i cant prove anything yet but most 3D
: cards I try in them (professional & {*filter*}) are woeful with cosmo, if
: they get of the mark in the first place - most crash (sieze) the
: machines. I'm getting one of there engineers to have a good look under
: the hood of their config but what i am unsure about is how Cosmo
: performs on dual cpu setups.

: My question is not wether cosmo multithreads nicely its wether anyone
: knows of conflicts (multithreading badly) on dual cpu systems.

: Or is it a Compaq thing ??

: NT4 sp3/4/5
: Netscape 4.0~4.7
: CosmoPlayer 2.1~2.1.1

: Thanx

: --
: Garry Keltie

: InteractiveInformationInstitute &
: School of Architecture and Design
: RMIT

--

Tue, 07 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 3D Cards and Cosmo Products
Yes I was... I went unchecked the forced software rendering box and now
cosmoplayer works fine on my system... but it still didn't fix the
problems I'm having with cosmoworlds... Is there a similar preference
setting menu for cosmoworlds?  Specificly, the keyframe animator box
doesn't repaint properly... often the drag bar leaves little pictures of
itself behind in its path, and the actor area buttons are completely
misaligned so I can't choose which actor I want to use... and then
sometimes the materials preferences box won't repaint when resized.  The
other programmer on my team has the same problem I do with cosmoworlds, I
currently have a Viper 770 D, and though the other programmer has a card
made by a different company, he uses the same chipset.  Any ideas?

Aaron Bergstrom

: Are you "forcing software rendering" -- cosmo preferences??

: >
: > I have had problems using CosmoWorlds and CosmoPlayer with Riva
: > 128/TNT/TNT2/TNT2 Ultra based cards.  Has anyone else had problems?
: >
: > --

: --
: Garry Keltie

: InteractiveInformationInstitute &
: School of Architecture and Design
: RMIT

--

Tue, 07 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 3D Cards and Cosmo Products
I forgot to add that I was told by Dell that I have the latest drivers for
the Viper 770... I went to the Diamond website and downloaded the newest
drivers anyway, but during installation a prompt said that the drivers I
was installing were older than the ones I already had on my system... so I
cancelled the installation.

--

Tue, 07 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 3D Cards and Cosmo Products

Quote:

> I forgot to add that I was told by Dell that I have the latest drivers for
> the Viper 770... I went to the Diamond website and downloaded the newest
> drivers anyway, but during installation a prompt said that the drivers I
> was installing were older than the ones I already had on my system... so I
> cancelled the installation.

The drivers from Diamond are pretty old and outdated. Try the latest
reference
driver from Nvidia  (www.nvidia.com)

--
Markus Kurek

Tue, 07 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 3D Cards and Cosmo Products

Quote:

> I have had problems using CosmoWorlds and CosmoPlayer with Riva
> 128/TNT/TNT2/TNT2 Ultra based cards.  Has anyone else had problems?

Have a Diamond V550 16MB PCI at work, zero problems with vrml
in any browser -- except the IndexedLineSet culling in OpenGL
gets a little weird sometimes.  For example, if you plot a
flight path with an ILS and then fly along the path, it sometimes
extends line segments to infinity or culls others that should
be visible.  I should point out that this world is guilty of
serious ILS abuse.  It has one polyline >200 vertices long.
Since I've only ever seen this in one world, and I built that
one, I don't worry about it.  It gets a bit pokey when it has
to render > about 10 large textured surfaces, but I've only
seen that in another world I built.  So for people who don't
approach graphics with a "let's make this sucker BLEED"
attitude, it ought to be perfect.

Those of you looking to buy the old Rev. a Christmas present,
I'd like two of them for home, please.  ;-)
--
Bob Crispen
crispen at hiwaay dot net

Tue, 07 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 3D Cards and Cosmo Products

Quote:
> Yes I was... I went unchecked the forced software rendering box and now cosmoplayer works fine on my system... but it still didn't fix the
> problems I'm having with cosmoworlds... Is there a similar preference setting menu for cosmoworlds?

Look in Start | Programs | Cosmo Worlds | OpenGL Panel

--
David Knoebel
-cranking out 2-3 words per day, every day, no matter what.

http://www.clickpoetry.com

Wed, 08 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 3D Cards and Cosmo Products
I've got a Matrox G400 MAX and have similar redraw problems in
CosmoWorlds regardless of settings in OpenGL panel. Surprisingly the SGI
NT visual workstations at work also have the same problem! I also
experience some clipping plane problems in large worlds in CosmoPlayer.
I have only ever seen this before on Diamond FireGL 1000 cards.

Regards,
Brian Hay.

Quote:

> I have had problems using CosmoWorlds and CosmoPlayer with Riva
> 128/TNT/TNT2/TNT2 Ultra based cards.  Has anyone else had problems?

> --

Thu, 09 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. COSMO COSMO COSMO

2. Cosmo Products

3. do 3d accelerator cards make a difference?

4. Which 3D video card to buy?

5. 3D Hardware (which Video Card is best)

6. 3D video cards for VRML - recommendation??

7. VRML and 3D Graphics Cards

8. 3D card

9. What 3d graphics accelerator card buy?

10. Programming 3D Cards

11. 3D card with asm??