3D API suggestions
Author Message
 3D API suggestions

Hi all -

I have a .NET application that I need to be able to present Database data to
the user in a 3D format in realtime.  I'm not sure what's the best API to
use.  I'm currently leaning towards VRML, but I'd really like to hear your
thoughts.  (writing this 3D engine from scratch in GDI+ is too steep right
now.)

Here are the Requirements:

1).  Must be license/royalty free, including any viewers or plugins
required.
2).  Need to present data in 3D format, in RealTime.
3).  Need to be able to refresh the view as the underlying data changes.
(Ideally, like to be able to do this in RealTime as data changes come in.
        If we have to go with a REFRESH button approach, then ok.)
4).  User should be able to navigate through the 3D representation (move,
rotate, etc.)
5).  Need the ability to click on an object in the scene and
        a).  Expand that representation of data to show its details (in 3D
format - preferred), or
        b).  Bring up a secondary window showing the detail information in
3D.
6).  Should contain features such as:
        a).  Ability to apply texture maps (custom textures), control
transparency, colors, etc and change then in RealTime if possible.
        b).  Control lighting (in RealTime if possible)
        c).  Acceptable performance.  (need to generate the scene in under
60 secs.)
7).  Some animation features would be nice, but not required. (spinning,
moving, blinking, etc.)

Thanks for your thoughts and input!

John T. Gaffga
Concentric Solutions, Inc.

Sat, 12 Nov 2005 23:41:33 GMT
 3D API suggestions

Quote:
> Here are the Requirements:
> 1).  Must be license/royalty free, including any viewers or plugins
> required.

There are various royalty free viewers or plugins.

Do you intended to say "License free" or "free License" ?
For example, free open source software under the Gnu Public License
is not "License free", cause the rights to use, copy, modify and
redistribution is covered by the  Gnu Public License.

For vrml there are also some free/open source modellers/creation tools.

Quote:
> 2).  Need to present data in 3D format, in RealTime.

True for VRML.

Quote:
> 3).  Need to be able to refresh the view as the underlying data changes.
> (Ideally, like to be able to do this in RealTime as data changes come in.

This can be done in VRML with a scriptnode written in java (doing
some network transfer) or with the EAI (which is a java API for VRML).
In principle, there are other program languages possible for scriptnodes
and EAI, but this is very browserdependend - i think, there are more than
one incompatible COM implementations 8-(

In principle, it is also possible to injet new data with a standard
javascript script node via php, if it is acceptable, that the
javascript script node repeatedly check the php URL in a loop.

Quote:
>        If we have to go with a REFRESH button approach, then ok.)

True for VRML.

Quote:
> 4).  User should be able to navigate through the 3D representation (move,
> rotate, etc.)

True for VRML.

Quote:
> 5).  Need the ability to click on an object in the scene and
>        a).  Expand that representation of data to show its details (in 3D
> format - preferred), or

True for VRML.

Quote:
>        b).  Bring up a secondary window showing the detail information in
> 3D.

I think, if you do this is browserdependend or require a java scriptnode.

Quote:
> 6).  Should contain features such as:
>        a).  Ability to apply texture maps (custom textures), control
> transparency, colors, etc and change then in RealTime if possible.

True for VRML

Quote:
>        b).  Control lighting (in RealTime if possible)

True for VRML

Quote:
>        c).  Acceptable performance.  (need to generate the scene in under
> 60 secs.)

Performance is browserdependend.
Most browsers use 3D hardware acceleration of graphicscards via API's like
OpenGL, Direct3D or java3D.
Some of the browsers can do much optimization of the resulting scenegraph
and can display things rather fast...

Quote:
> 7).  Some animation features would be nice, but not required. (spinning,
> moving, blinking, etc.)

True for VRML (you can do some morphing with VRML too)

so long
MUFTI
--
Wenn Ihr CD-ROM Antrieb Brief d nicht ist, tauschen Sie ihren CDROM Antrieb
fuer d in der Fuehrung aus.

Sun, 13 Nov 2005 00:55:06 GMT
 3D API suggestions
You can also take a look at using FastScript3D.
FastScript3d is a simplifying interface to
Java3D that also could enable you to create your 3D real-time plot.
FastScript3D is free, but it requires the Java and Java3D plugin
(they are also free).  If you don't mind installing Java and Java3D,
it is definitely worth checking out for your application.

See

http://fastscript3d.jpl.nasa.gov
http://fastscript3d.jpl.nasa.gov/plugins.html

and once you have Java3D set up, see

http://fastscript3d.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery.html

for many examples.

Patti Koenig

Quote:
> Hi all -

> I have a .NET application that I need to be able to present Database data to
> the user in a 3D format in realtime.  I'm not sure what's the best API to
> use.  I'm currently leaning towards VRML, but I'd really like to hear your
> thoughts.  (writing this 3D engine from scratch in GDI+ is too steep right
> now.)

> Here are the Requirements:

> 1).  Must be license/royalty free, including any viewers or plugins
> required.
> 2).  Need to present data in 3D format, in RealTime.
> 3).  Need to be able to refresh the view as the underlying data changes.
> (Ideally, like to be able to do this in RealTime as data changes come in.
>         If we have to go with a REFRESH button approach, then ok.)
> 4).  User should be able to navigate through the 3D representation (move,
> rotate, etc.)
> 5).  Need the ability to click on an object in the scene and
>         a).  Expand that representation of data to show its details (in 3D
> format - preferred), or
>         b).  Bring up a secondary window showing the detail information in
> 3D.
> 6).  Should contain features such as:
>         a).  Ability to apply texture maps (custom textures), control
> transparency, colors, etc and change then in RealTime if possible.
>         b).  Control lighting (in RealTime if possible)
>         c).  Acceptable performance.  (need to generate the scene in under
> 60 secs.)
> 7).  Some animation features would be nice, but not required. (spinning,
> moving, blinking, etc.)

> Thanks for your thoughts and input!

> John T. Gaffga
> Concentric Solutions, Inc.

Sun, 13 Nov 2005 05:57:41 GMT
 3D API suggestions
Hi

you could have a look at Contact from
http://www.bitmanagement.de/
Its an Active X Control easily usable from Net or DHTML.
IN the next version you can directly dump in XML Data from File or
MSXML IDomDocument data.

Greetings

Holger

Quote:
> Hi all -

> I have a .NET application that I need to be able to present Database data
> the user in a 3D format in realtime.  I'm not sure what's the best API to
> use.  I'm currently leaning towards VRML, but I'd really like to hear your
> thoughts.  (writing this 3D engine from scratch in GDI+ is too steep right
> now.)

> Here are the Requirements:

> 1).  Must be license/royalty free, including any viewers or plugins
> required.
> 2).  Need to present data in 3D format, in RealTime.
> 3).  Need to be able to refresh the view as the underlying data changes.
> (Ideally, like to be able to do this in RealTime as data changes come in.
>         If we have to go with a REFRESH button approach, then ok.)
> 4).  User should be able to navigate through the 3D representation (move,
> rotate, etc.)
> 5).  Need the ability to click on an object in the scene and
>         a).  Expand that representation of data to show its details (in 3D
> format - preferred), or
>         b).  Bring up a secondary window showing the detail information in
> 3D.
> 6).  Should contain features such as:
>         a).  Ability to apply texture maps (custom textures), control
> transparency, colors, etc and change then in RealTime if possible.
>         b).  Control lighting (in RealTime if possible)
>         c).  Acceptable performance.  (need to generate the scene in under
> 60 secs.)
> 7).  Some animation features would be nice, but not required. (spinning,
> moving, blinking, etc.)

> Thanks for your thoughts and input!

> John T. Gaffga
> Concentric Solutions, Inc.

Mon, 14 Nov 2005 04:28:49 GMT
 3D API suggestions
Thanks Patti - right now we want to avoid that additional layer of
installing the JVM and J3D.  But, I have added this to my 'Plan B' column!
Thanks!

Quote:
> You can also take a look at using FastScript3D.
> FastScript3d is a simplifying interface to
> Java3D that also could enable you to create your 3D real-time plot.
> FastScript3D is free, but it requires the Java and Java3D plugin
> (they are also free).  If you don't mind installing Java and Java3D,
> it is definitely worth checking out for your application.

> See

> http://fastscript3d.jpl.nasa.gov
> http://fastscript3d.jpl.nasa.gov/plugins.html

> and once you have Java3D set up, see

> http://fastscript3d.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery.html

> for many examples.

> Patti Koenig

> > Hi all -

> > I have a .NET application that I need to be able to present Database
data to
> > the user in a 3D format in realtime.  I'm not sure what's the best API
> > use.  I'm currently leaning towards VRML, but I'd really like to hear
your
> > thoughts.  (writing this 3D engine from scratch in GDI+ is too steep
right
> > now.)

> > Here are the Requirements:

> > 1).  Must be license/royalty free, including any viewers or plugins
> > required.
> > 2).  Need to present data in 3D format, in RealTime.
> > 3).  Need to be able to refresh the view as the underlying data changes.
> > (Ideally, like to be able to do this in RealTime as data changes come
in.
> >         If we have to go with a REFRESH button approach, then ok.)
> > 4).  User should be able to navigate through the 3D representation
(move,
> > rotate, etc.)
> > 5).  Need the ability to click on an object in the scene and
> >         a).  Expand that representation of data to show its details (in
3D
> > format - preferred), or
> >         b).  Bring up a secondary window showing the detail information
in
> > 3D.
> > 6).  Should contain features such as:
> >         a).  Ability to apply texture maps (custom textures), control
> > transparency, colors, etc and change then in RealTime if possible.
> >         b).  Control lighting (in RealTime if possible)
> >         c).  Acceptable performance.  (need to generate the scene in
under
> > 60 secs.)
> > 7).  Some animation features would be nice, but not required. (spinning,
> > moving, blinking, etc.)

> > Thanks for your thoughts and input!

> > John T. Gaffga
> > Concentric Solutions, Inc.

Wed, 16 Nov 2005 02:47:11 GMT
 3D API suggestions
Holger - thanks I'll check out the site.  -jtg

Quote:
> Hi

> you could have a look at Contact from
> http://www.bitmanagement.de/
> Its an Active X Control easily usable from Net or DHTML.
> IN the next version you can directly dump in XML Data from File or
> MSXML IDomDocument data.

> Greetings

> Holger

> > Hi all -

> > I have a .NET application that I need to be able to present Database
data
> > the user in a 3D format in realtime.  I'm not sure what's the best API
> > use.  I'm currently leaning towards VRML, but I'd really like to hear
your
> > thoughts.  (writing this 3D engine from scratch in GDI+ is too steep
right
> > now.)

> > Here are the Requirements:

> > 1).  Must be license/royalty free, including any viewers or plugins
> > required.
> > 2).  Need to present data in 3D format, in RealTime.
> > 3).  Need to be able to refresh the view as the underlying data changes.
> > (Ideally, like to be able to do this in RealTime as data changes come
in.
> >         If we have to go with a REFRESH button approach, then ok.)
> > 4).  User should be able to navigate through the 3D representation
(move,
> > rotate, etc.)
> > 5).  Need the ability to click on an object in the scene and
> >         a).  Expand that representation of data to show its details (in
3D
> > format - preferred), or
> >         b).  Bring up a secondary window showing the detail information
in
> > 3D.
> > 6).  Should contain features such as:
> >         a).  Ability to apply texture maps (custom textures), control
> > transparency, colors, etc and change then in RealTime if possible.
> >         b).  Control lighting (in RealTime if possible)
> >         c).  Acceptable performance.  (need to generate the scene in
under
> > 60 secs.)
> > 7).  Some animation features would be nice, but not required. (spinning,
> > moving, blinking, etc.)

> > Thanks for your thoughts and input!

> > John T. Gaffga
> > Concentric Solutions, Inc.

Wed, 16 Nov 2005 02:49:22 GMT

1. API suggestions invited

2. A suggestion for handling modifications in the core that change the script API

3. Difference between JUN and Java 3D API

4. Q: Best 3D API for Java ???

5. Q: Best Java 3D API ???

6. Java 3D API, implementation ?

7. SUN RELEASES JAVA 3D API SPECIFICATION FOR PUBLIC COMMENT

8. 3D API interface

9. accessing 3D FFT data as 1D/3D complex/real arrays

10. ? subroutine to check if a 3D point is in the 3D region or not

11. API Question: API Menues...

12. Serial Communication (API-calls) and possible error in CW API-Viewer