EAI: getBrowser(Applet,frame,index)
Author Message
 EAI: getBrowser(Applet,frame,index)

Hi all

I have a problem with the multiple browser version of
the EAI method Browser.getBrowser().

I've got it to work fine with browsers in separate frames (and my applet
in a 3rd frame), like this:

    browser1 = Browser.getBrowser(this,"frame1",0);
    browser2 = Browser.getBrowser(this,"frame2",0);

    (The calls are placed within loops as usual, I've omitted them here
     for clarity)

However, I and a lot of others don't like frames in my web pages and so
I would like to put multiple wrl files and an applet into a single
unframed web page and access them via the EAI.

When I try it like this:

    browser1 = Browser.getBrowser(this,"",0);
    browser2 = Browser.getBrowser(this,"",1);

the loops just go on unsuccessfully trying to find the browsers until
they reach the max number of attempts.

My problem is that I'm guessing as to what to put into the 'frame' and
'index' parameters.  I don't have any frames in my page, so I used the
empty string for 'frame'.  I have 2 vrml browsers in my page, so I used
0 and 1 respectively for 'index'.

Is this what the index parameter is actually for?  The EAI spec isn't
very helpful; it just has the syntax of the getBrowser(.., .., ..)
method, but doesn't explain what the parameters are for.  And what
value do I use for the 'frame' parameter when I don't have any frames in
my web page?

Any advice much appreciated

Nick

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 04 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI: getBrowser(Applet,frame,index)
Hello Lancevortex,

There was a problem with Netscape Navigator which prohibited EAI
implementors to obtain a pointer to a plugin on an HTML page when that
plugin is embedded in a table. Try taking the plugin out if this is
your case.

All the best,

Igor Mironov, Scripting Technician
ParallelGraphics

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 06 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI: getBrowser(Applet,frame,index)

Quote:
> Hello Lancevortex,

> There was a problem with Netscape Navigator which prohibited EAI
> implementors to obtain a pointer to a plugin on an HTML page when that
> plugin is embedded in a table. Try taking the plugin out if this is
> your case.

> All the best,

> Igor Mironov, Scripting Technician
> ParallelGraphics

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Thanks Igor,

Much appreciated...my browsers were indeed inside a table.
Unfortunately I really need them to be in a table for layout
purposes...never mind, I'll just have to go back to the frames.

Nick

PS I don't suppose you know if my guess as to how the syntax of the
framed version of getBrowser works was correct?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 09 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI: getBrowser(Applet,frame,index)
Hello Lancevortex,

Yes, you guessed right, the parameters you pass to getBrowser() are
correct. Just in case there's a detailed description of that method at
<http://www.vrml.org/WorkingGroups/vrml-
eai/Specification/part2/javaBind.html#B.5.1.2>

All the best,

Igor Mironov, Scripting Technician
ParallelGraphics

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI: getBrowser(Applet,frame,index)
Hello Lancevortex,

Yes, you guessed right, the parameters you pass to getBrowser() are
correct. Just in case there's a detailed description of this method at
<http://www.vrml.org/WorkingGroups/vrml-
eai/Specification/part2/javaBind.html#B.5.1.2>

All the best,

Igor Mironov, Scripting Technician
ParallelGraphics

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 EAI: getBrowser(Applet,frame,index)
Thanks again Igor,

That was exactly what I was after

Nick

Quote:
> Hello Lancevortex,

> Yes, you guessed right, the parameters you pass to getBrowser() are
> correct. Just in case there's a detailed description of this method at
> <http://www.vrml.org/WorkingGroups/vrml-
> eai/Specification/part2/javaBind.html#B.5.1.2>

> All the best,

> Igor Mironov, Scripting Technician
> ParallelGraphics

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. EAI : getBrowser stalls offline applet ?

2. Browser.getBrowser(Applet)

3. Java in frame can't get instance of Java EAI + VRML in another frame

4. EAI: getBrowser

5. eai: getBrowser / start-stop TimeSensor question

6. eai getBrowser trouble

7. getBrowser problem (EAI)

8. EAI,Cosmo Player: getBrowser return NullPointerException!

9. getBrowser() problem in EAI

10. pb with EAI, getBrowser() doesn't work

11. ??? on EAI getBrowser()

12. Q: EAI getBrowser()