Color Gradient Background or Sky?
Author Message
 Color Gradient Background or Sky?

I am getting bored with plain background color,what script,or words could I use
to add to a background,for example a sky that fades from cyan blue to indigo,or
from purple to orange or like colors or shading/tint that blends,all without
texture maps?

Fri, 10 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Color Gradient Background or Sky?
For one, please look at :

www.hypermultimedia.com/Logo/LOGO.WRL

Notice that

Background {
skyColor [ startcolor, stopcolor ]
skyAngle [ stoprad ]
groundColor [ startcolor, stopcolor ] groundAngle [ stoprad ]

Quote:
}

gives the ability to set a 'horizon' effect using a form of
colorInterpolation from the startcolor at the zenith or nadir to the
stopcolor at the horizon.

Have fun!

Joe D Williams

Techno and Promo HyperMultiMedia

Fri, 10 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Color Gradient Background or Sky?
This should give you some idea

Cheers,  Matti

#VRML V2.0 utf8

Background {
  skyColor [0.1333 0.1333 1, 0.7569 0.7569 1, 0.8941 0.8941 1, ]
  skyAngle [0.7854, 1.571, ]
  groundColor [0.7 0.4 0.3, 0.9333 0.4392 0, 1 0.8706 0.7059, ]
  groundAngle [0.7854, 1.571, ]

Quote:
}

>I am getting bored with plain background color,what script,or words could I
use
>to add to a background,for example a sky that fades from cyan blue to
indigo,or
>from purple to orange or like colors or shading/tint that blends,all
without
>texture maps?

Fri, 10 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Color Gradient Background or Sky?

Quote:
> I am getting bored with plain background color,what script,or words
could I use
> to add to a background,for example a sky that fades from cyan blue to
indigo,or
> from purple to orange or like colors or shading/tint that blends,all
without
> texture maps?

Take a look at:

<URL:http://www.endoframe.com/vrml/protos/colorarrayinterpolator.html>

--
Braden N. McDaniel

<URL:http://www.endoframe.com>

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 11 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Color Gradient Background or Sky?

Quote:
>#VRML V2.0 utf8

>Background {
>  skyColor [0.1333 0.1333 1, 0.7569 0.7569 1, 0.8941 0.8941 1, ]
>  skyAngle [0.7854, 1.571, ]
>  groundColor [0.7 0.4 0.3, 0.9333 0.4392 0, 1 0.8706 0.7059, ]
>  groundAngle [0.7854, 1.571, ]
>}

I stuck it in, hoping that once I saw it I could go back and fool around with
the rgb values,but it would not render. Cosmo Player  gave me red warning
flashes and said there was some kind of separator error and it could not
parse.at line2.
Is it important where you place the node?
Andrea

Tue, 14 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Color Gradient Background or Sky?
Don't try so many colors at once. Begin with just a start and stop color
and one common point for the horizon.
Joe W

Techno and Promo HyperMultiMedia

Tue, 14 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Color Gradient Background or Sky?

Quote:

> >#VRML V2.0 utf8

> >Background {
> >  skyColor [0.1333 0.1333 1, 0.7569 0.7569 1, 0.8941 0.8941 1, ]
> >  skyAngle [0.7854, 1.571, ]
> >  groundColor [0.7 0.4 0.3, 0.9333 0.4392 0, 1 0.8706 0.7059, ]
> >  groundAngle [0.7854, 1.571, ]
> >}

> I stuck it in, hoping that once I saw it I could go back and fool around with
> the rgb values,but it would not render. Cosmo Player  gave me red warning
> flashes and said there was some kind of separator error and it could not
> parse.at line2.
> Is it important where you place the node?
> Andrea

Make sure you put it just the way it is in Matti's sample: in the root,
right under the "#VRML V2.0 utf8" line.

Separator error shouldn't occur. The code does work, just the way it is,
in CosmoPlayer 2.1.1 on the PC.

And don't worry about "too many colors" - Joe is wrong about that - just
make sure that you have one more skyColor than skyAngle and one more
groundColor than groundAngle (the angle marks are the delineation points
between colors, starting at the Zenith or Nadir and going toward the
horizon: 0 = zenith or nadir, 1.5708 = horizon).

- Paul
***********************************
Paul S. Hoffman
Senior Interface Designer, Cognetics Corporation

Company URL - http://www.cognetics.com
Personal URL - http://pluto.njcc.com/~paulsam
609-799-5005 ext.237 - FAX 609-799-8555

Tue, 14 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Color Gradient Background or Sky?

Quote:

> >#VRML V2.0 utf8

> >Background {
> >  skyColor [0.1333 0.1333 1, 0.7569 0.7569 1, 0.8941 0.8941 1, ]
> >  skyAngle [0.7854, 1.571, ]
> >  groundColor [0.7 0.4 0.3, 0.9333 0.4392 0, 1 0.8706 0.7059, ]
> >  groundAngle [0.7854, 1.571, ]
> >}

> I stuck it in, hoping that once I saw it I could go back and fool around with
> the rgb values,but it would not render. Cosmo Player  gave me red warning
> flashes and said there was some kind of separator error and it could not
> parse.at line2.
> Is it important where you place the node?

If you hadn't asked that last question I wouldn't have
thought of another possibility.  It does matter where
you place the "#VRML V2.0 utf8".  There should be one
and only one of them in every vrml file, and it has to
be the very first line.

Mind you, you ought to be able to have several of those
lines anywhere in the file, according to my reading of
the spec.  The browser *should* treat it as a plain
comment.  But I'll bet not all browsers do.  Being an
old programmer, I never trust somebody else's software
to do the right thing when I feed it something clever.

As to the rest, I'm not thrilled by the commas before the
right square brackets, and I dimly recall that some version
of some browser complained about superfluous commas instead
of treating them as whitespace.  I believe it should be
perfectly legal to write:

#VRML V2.0 utf8
,,,,,,
DEF,Foo,,,Transform,{,,,
,,translation,2,1,,3,

and so on.  The spec *is* specific about whitespace in the
header line, but not the rest of the lines,  unless I'm
missing it where I'm looking.

But on the other hand, why borrow trouble?  The trailing
commas don't improve readability or serve any other positive
purpose that I'm able to discern.  So why not toss them
out?  Since VRML is interpreted, every character in a VRML
file that isn't working for you is working against you.
--
Bob Crispen
crispen at hiwaay dot net

Wed, 15 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Color Gradient Background or Sky?
Thanks Bob,
I put the background commands directly under the 2.0 header,and the cosmo
player had no problem with them,they parsed just fine,but now the rest of my
script it will not recognise,the separator or the other nodes on down the
line,things that rendered fine on 1.0....(the 1.0 converter I am using is a
pluggin from lightwave 5.0)
This is very frustrating,and I have been going through them one at a time,sort
of a proceedure by negation,and removing the offending nodes and parts,but it
doesn't seem to help.
What am I doing wrong?

http://members.aol.com/Lutegirl/MARS/test.wrl

Andrea

Sun, 19 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Color Gradient Background or Sky?

Quote:
>Thanks Bob,
>I put the background commands directly under the 2.0 header,and the cosmo
>player had no problem with them,they parsed just fine,but now the rest of my
>script it will not recognise,the separator or the other nodes on down the
>line,things that rendered fine on 1.0....(the 1.0 converter I am using is a
>pluggin from lightwave 5.0)
>This is very frustrating,and I have been going through them one at a time,sort
>of a proceedure by negation,and removing the offending nodes and parts,but it
>doesn't seem to help.
>What am I doing wrong?

>http://members.aol.com/Lutegirl/MARS/test.wrl

>Andrea

You're mixing VRML 2 (the header and background) and VRML 1 (the
Separator). VRML 2 doesn't have such a thing. The Group is the closest
concept. Looks like your VRML 1 to 2 convertor isn't actually doing
any converting :(

Sun, 19 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Color Gradient Background or Sky?

Quote:

> Thanks Bob,
> I put the background commands directly under the 2.0 header,and the cosmo
> player had no problem with them,they parsed just fine,but now the rest of my
> script it will not recognise,the separator or the other nodes on down the
> line,things that rendered fine on 1.0....(the 1.0 converter I am using is a
> pluggin from lightwave 5.0)
> This is very frustrating,and I have been going through them one at a time,sort
> of a proceedure by negation,and removing the offending nodes and parts,but it
> doesn't seem to help.
> What am I doing wrong?

Jane Williams is right, Andrea. The rest of your code is VRML 1.0 and
needs to be converted to VRML97 (VRML 2.0). You should do this
conversion before adding the Background Node info. You have a converter
already on your machine, installed by the CosmoPlayer installation (it's
used internally by CosmoPlayer when Cosmo finds a VRML 1.0 file, but can
be used stand-alone).

CosmoPlayer 2.1 and 2.1.1 should have created a "Cosmo Software"
directory, placed under "Program Files" in Windows95/98 (I'm not sure
where on NT). Under that there should be a Cosmoplayer directory. Look
for "vrml1tovrml2.exe". It needs to be run in an MSDOS window. It takes
2 parameters, the name of the VRML1 file to convert, and the name of the
resulting VRML2 file. I usually move a copy of the file I want to
translate into the same directory with the converter, so I don't have to
deal with file pathnames when typing the command in the MSDOS window. Of
course, you have to use the MSDOS change directory command to get the
command prompt oriented in the right directory (not just "C:>" but
"C:\Program Files\CosmoSoftware\Cosmoplayer>") - it helps if, like some
of us, you started playing with computers back in or before the old
MS-DOS days.

- Paul
***********************************
Paul S. Hoffman
Senior Interface Designer, Cognetics Corporation

Company URL - http://www.cognetics.com
Personal URL - http://pluto.njcc.com/~paulsam
609-799-5005 ext.237 - FAX 609-799-8555

Sun, 19 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Color Gradient Background or Sky?

Quote:
>You're mixing VRML 2 (the header and background) and VRML 1 (the
>Separator). VRML 2 doesn't have such a thing. The Group is the closest
>concept. Looks like your VRML 1 to 2 convertor isn't actually doing
>any converting :(

Without going through another converter,how can i change my existing commands
so that they are recognized by 2.0.

...As a last resort,where can I find a converter to convert my 1.0 files to
2.0?
Andrea

Sun, 26 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Color Gradient Background or Sky?
Hello lutegirl,
I have seen the file you are working on, and all the info is there for
you to dothe coversion by hand - if all else fails. Like the lute, all
yq gotta do is learn how to play it. begin by using the data include in
the file to cut and paste yourself a new file using the vrml2 syntax.
For example, take the data in

ShapeHints {vertexOrdering CLOCKWISE}
Coordinate3 {point [
 -0.0864349 ... ]

and paste it into a

geometry IndexdeFaceSet {
ccw FALSE
creaseAngle 3.14
coord Coordinate { point [
-0.086349 ... ]

structure. Of course there is mre than that, but all the info is in your
original file.

Maybe try to work with some sort of simple template file like you can
find in the spec and transfer the data into it, or. like I did, use the
simple .wrl file at  www.hypermultimedia.com/Chapter3/SunNone.htm

One of the shapes looks like a long ribbon structure.

Good Luck,
Joe D W

Techno and Promo HyperMultiMedia

Sun, 26 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Color Gradient Background or Sky?
Blaxxun signals a Sysntax Error in your code, anyway. Which is a
TextureCoordIndex field within an IndexedFaceSet note. This probably doen't
solve your problem, but might help.

Yours,

Cristiano

>  Your subscription is set to individual email delivery

> Thanks Bob,
> I put the background commands directly under the 2.0 header,and the cosmo
> player had no problem with them,they parsed just fine,but now the rest of
my
> script it will not recognise,the separator or the other nodes on down the
> line,things that rendered fine on 1.0....(the 1.0 converter I am using is
> pluggin from lightwave 5.0)
> This is very frustrating,and I have been going through them one at a
time,sort
> of a proceedure by negation,and removing the offending nodes and parts,but
it
> doesn't seem to help.
> What am I doing wrong?

> http://members.aol.com/Lutegirl/MARS/test.wrl

> Andrea

>  * Read this thread at

http://www.deja.com/thread/%3C19991201091233.01137.00000348%40ng-da1....
%3E

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
 Before you buy.

Mon, 27 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Color Gradient Background or Sky?

Quote:

> ...As a last resort,where can I find a converter to convert my 1.0 files to
> 2.0?
> Andrea

Hi, again, Andrea -
Try AccuTrans3D at http://www.quantumlynx.com/micromouse/index.html
It's very inexpensive, and doesn't handle textures and such, but for
basic geometry it'll do the trick.

- Paul
***********************************
Paul S. Hoffman
Senior Interface Designer, Cognetics Corporation

Company URL - http://www.cognetics.com
Personal URL - http://pluto.njcc.com/~paulsam
609-799-5005 ext.237 - FAX 609-799-8555

Mon, 27 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Setting a web hex color as background color for a canvas

2. conflicts between button colors and background color

3. Changing font color/size and background color with Tile

4. Color Gradient

5. Creating color gradient

6. TreeView background color

7. List background color refresh...