VRML vs. OpenInventor
Author Message
 VRML vs. OpenInventor

Hi all,

I'm hardly working on my diploma thesis with an emphasis in VRML. Can
anyone tell me the difference between vrml and OpenInventor and can
someone please give me some examples by means of VRML vs OpenInventor.

Regards

Harry

Tue, 29 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VRML vs. OpenInventor

Quote:
>I'm hardly working on my diploma thesis with an emphasis in VRML. Can
>anyone tell me the difference between VRML and OpenInventor and can
>someone please give me some examples by means of VRML vs OpenInventor.

There are a number of differences, but which ones are significant
depends on what you need to do. :-)   Here are some:

VRML
    - File format only
      Can be extended in some limited ways using JavaScript (in
      Script nodes) or Java (through the EAI interface).
    - Good, fast, free viewers widely available for Windows
    - Limited viewers available for UNIX / Linux
    - Good solution for "packaged" presentation of 3D scenes

Open Inventor
    - File format plus poweful C++ class library
    - File format is a superset of VRML
      So class library can be used for generation or processing of
      pure VRML, but also includes NURBS, extruded 3D text, etc.
    - Class library and viewers available for Windows, UNIX, Linux
    - Viewers include Large Model Visualization algorithms for
      efficiently displaying large data set (simplifying, culling, etc).
    - Best solution for application development

-Mike
 TGS Inc, http://www.tgs.com

Tue, 29 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VRML vs. OpenInventor
Why don't you search on both these terms on the Internet? But anyway, so
far as I know Open Inventor runs only on fairly grunty Unix type boxes
(such as Irix systems). VRML runs on Windows boxes..

Cliff

Quote:

> Hi all,

> I'm hardly working on my diploma thesis with an emphasis in VRML. Can
> anyone tell me the difference between VRML and OpenInventor and can
> someone please give me some examples by means of VRML vs OpenInventor.

> Regards

> Harry

Wed, 30 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VRML vs. OpenInventor

Quote:

>Why don't you search on both these terms on the Internet? But anyway,
so
>far as I know Open Inventor runs only on fairly grunty Unix type boxes
>(such as Irix systems). VRML runs on Windows boxes..

Ancient history.  :-)  Open Inventor has been available on Windows
since 1995.  It pretty much screams with a good OpenGL card and
and isn't too shabby on any fast Pentium class machine.

-Mike
 TGS Inc, http://www.tgs.com

Wed, 30 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help translating from VRML to OpenInventor?

2. VRML in Java vs Java in VRML

3. vrml.eai.* vs vrml.external.*

4. web vs standalone (VRML vs Inventor): question

5. stdcall vs c vs cdecl vs pascal vs whosyerdaddy

6. 68K vs CFM68K vs Tk 8.0.3 vs AppearanceLib vs System 7

7. VW and OpenInventor?

8. what about OpenInventor ??

9. Python OpenInventor wrappers?

10. First stab at an OpenInventor wrapper

11. Python/SWIG interface to OpenInventor

12. OpenInventor interface?