Will VRML Animation made from Displacement Maps Work? 
Author Message
 Will VRML Animation made from Displacement Maps Work?

I had taken a mesh object in Lightwave and applied a key framed displacement
map that rippled the mesh and the resulting animation played in the preview
just fine.However after converting it to vrml the mesh appeared singlesided and
flat,although it was surfaced doublesided, and the animation did not work at
all.
I looked at the code on my wordpad and the animation script parsed time and
time again and I could not figure out why it wasn't working.
Could it be that animations made from displacement maps are actual morphs that
the vrml spec doesn't recognize?Or is it something simple that I forgot to do?
Andrea


Fri, 30 May 2003 22:17:44 GMT  
 Will VRML Animation made from Displacement Maps Work?
find some info on the lightwave vrml exporter, it may not support animation?
or only some types of animation. most exporters from high end packages can
never support all the functionality of their own file formats
db


Sat, 31 May 2003 13:35:17 GMT  
 Will VRML Animation made from Displacement Maps Work?
I looked at the notes that came with the pluggin and there was an asterik in
regards to morphs saying that morphs weren't yet part of the vrml spec,this is
why I thought that the animation made from the displacement map might not have
worked,because it is deforming the mesh and pulling at it in places like a
magnet it is probably technically a morph.I liked the animation, so I am
looking for a way around the morph but with the same results.
Other animations, rotations, scale,contract and expand seem to work just fine.

Quote:
>most exporters from high end packages >can
>never support all the functionality of their >own file formats

This is an older version of lightwave,5.0.
Andrea


Sat, 31 May 2003 22:25:17 GMT  
 Will VRML Animation made from Displacement Maps Work?
Sounds dumb, Im not a lightwave person but I know you can do the same
from 3DSmax. The exporter has to write it out as a mesh with coordinate
interpolation. I know it is an option in the Max exporter to check a box
if you wish to generate coordinate interpolation. (some horrendous files
could easliy be generated by accident otherwise). It has a funny idea
for the cycletime and a couple of other things but does just what you
are looking for. Also, Max doesnt have a concept of a double sided
polygon like other file formats do. It requires the material to specify
double sided and this is what the max exporter picks up on.

As for Lightwave, sorry dont know..  some clues from a parrallel
universe. If you have a copy of Max, or a nice freind with a copy, try
it ut. Not suggesting you step out into the dark side though.

Does the lightwave exporter do the routing staements for you for the
animation? Has it routed a timesensor to the coordinates of the indexed
face set and the keys in the coordinate interpolator?

Quote:

> I had taken a mesh object in Lightwave and applied a key framed displacement
> map that rippled the mesh and the resulting animation played in the preview
> just fine.However after converting it to vrml the mesh appeared singlesided and
> flat,although it was surfaced doublesided, and the animation did not work at
> all.
> I looked at the code on my wordpad and the animation script parsed time and
> time again and I could not figure out why it wasn't working.
> Could it be that animations made from displacement maps are actual morphs that
> the vrml spec doesn't recognize?Or is it something simple that I forgot to do?
> Andrea

--
Garry Keltie


InteractiveInformationInstitute &
School of Architecture and Design
RMIT



Sat, 31 May 2003 22:38:42 GMT  
 Will VRML Animation made from Displacement Maps Work?
well max probably imports light wave, or you can export to max, either way u
can send it to me and i can try exporting it from max.
db


Sun, 01 Jun 2003 13:33:25 GMT  
 Will VRML Animation made from Displacement Maps Work?
Max won't import lightwave files directly, what you need is 3dwin 4 which
converts many 3d file formats. It has a demo version which lacks only the
texture conversion code. Get the program and the demo reg key. And read the
readme file.
www.stmuc.com\thbaier

Max has no problems with creating vrml animations provided the vertex and
face count aren't altered during the animation. Don't forget to tick the
coordinate interpolorator box on export.

I also have a water ripple proto which creates a ripple effect this may be
suited to your purpose.
The animation is generated an random on the fly. It is watercoloured
transparent and double sided.
http://users5.50megs.com/vrmlworld/objects/water12x25.wrl

Tell me if this file is usefull and I will supply modifaction instructions.

Paul Aslin


Quote:
> Sounds dumb, Im not a lightwave person but I know you can do the same
> from 3DSmax. The exporter has to write it out as a mesh with coordinate
> interpolation. I know it is an option in the Max exporter to check a box
> if you wish to generate coordinate interpolation. (some horrendous files
> could easliy be generated by accident otherwise). It has a funny idea
> for the cycletime and a couple of other things but does just what you
> are looking for. Also, Max doesnt have a concept of a double sided
> polygon like other file formats do. It requires the material to specify
> double sided and this is what the max exporter picks up on.

> As for Lightwave, sorry dont know..  some clues from a parrallel
> universe. If you have a copy of Max, or a nice freind with a copy, try
> it ut. Not suggesting you step out into the dark side though.

> Does the lightwave exporter do the routing staements for you for the
> animation? Has it routed a timesensor to the coordinates of the indexed
> face set and the keys in the coordinate interpolator?


> > I had taken a mesh object in Lightwave and applied a key framed
displacement
> > map that rippled the mesh and the resulting animation played in the
preview
> > just fine.However after converting it to vrml the mesh appeared
singlesided and
> > flat,although it was surfaced doublesided, and the animation did not
work at
> > all.
> > I looked at the code on my wordpad and the animation script parsed time
and
> > time again and I could not figure out why it wasn't working.
> > Could it be that animations made from displacement maps are actual
morphs that
> > the vrml spec doesn't recognize?Or is it something simple that I forgot
to do?
> > Andrea

> --
> Garry Keltie


> InteractiveInformationInstitute &
> School of Architecture and Design
> RMIT



Mon, 02 Jun 2003 09:37:25 GMT  
 Will VRML Animation made from Displacement Maps Work?
Probably the best way to make coordinate interpolation is not trying to export the
animation itself but rather export the point set of the two state (or more) from
normal to morphed separately and cut/paste them into a coordinate interpolator
keyvalue field. I know that sound terrible especially if you have lots of points but
that not so bad ;-)
Putting ##################### between each state can help you get visual clue so you
dont get lost

Sylvain Carette
VRML designer-composer

Quote:

> Sounds dumb, Im not a lightwave person but I know you can do the same
> from 3DSmax. The exporter has to write it out as a mesh with coordinate
> interpolation. I know it is an option in the Max exporter to check a box
> if you wish to generate coordinate interpolation. (some horrendous files
> could easliy be generated by accident otherwise). It has a funny idea
> for the cycletime and a couple of other things but does just what you
> are looking for. Also, Max doesnt have a concept of a double sided
> polygon like other file formats do. It requires the material to specify
> double sided and this is what the max exporter picks up on.

> As for Lightwave, sorry dont know..  some clues from a parrallel
> universe. If you have a copy of Max, or a nice freind with a copy, try
> it ut. Not suggesting you step out into the dark side though.

> Does the lightwave exporter do the routing staements for you for the
> animation? Has it routed a timesensor to the coordinates of the indexed
> face set and the keys in the coordinate interpolator?


> > I had taken a mesh object in Lightwave and applied a key framed displacement
> > map that rippled the mesh and the resulting animation played in the preview
> > just fine.However after converting it to vrml the mesh appeared singlesided and
> > flat,although it was surfaced doublesided, and the animation did not work at
> > all.
> > I looked at the code on my wordpad and the animation script parsed time and
> > time again and I could not figure out why it wasn't working.
> > Could it be that animations made from displacement maps are actual morphs that
> > the vrml spec doesn't recognize?Or is it something simple that I forgot to do?
> > Andrea

> --
> Garry Keltie


> InteractiveInformationInstitute &
> School of Architecture and Design
> RMIT



Mon, 09 Jun 2003 16:27:10 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. MAKING IE4 WORK with VRML and JAVA

2. making IE4 work with JAVA and VRML

3. Willing to work at Home COBOL

4. Smalltalker willing to work at home

5. how to map an animation

6. TechTips: Making working-at-home work

7. Followup on animation of VRML

8. VRML-Animation in PowerPoint?

9. Novice want to make animation in VRML

10. Animation in VRML ?

11. VRML animation output files

12. VRML Animation

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software