Wazzup with Adobe Atmosphere?
Author Message
 Wazzup with Adobe Atmosphere?

Has anybody checked out Adobe's new Web 3D authoring tool/viewer named
"Atmosphere"?  The web page promises this will "Transform the Web into a
universe of virtual 3D worlds" (see
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ), seems like I've
heard this somewhere before.  Rather annoying is that vrml isn't
mentioned anywhere that I can find in their description of this new
revolution...  Odd that their beta software is Windows-only.  Its
encouraging having a big player like Adobe embrace Web 3D, but I'm
concerned that this seems to be another strictly proprietary format.
Since I'm a Unix {*filter*}, I haven't seen the source code for their
worlds, but I wonder how much of the VRML standard is included (sounds
like its a hierarchical geometry description language, with many
pre-built prototypes).  The documentation indicates a wide array of
earlier 3D standard worlds can be imported into their authoring tool.
Adobe didn't just buy Computer Associates/Platinum, did they??

Tom Brikowski, Geosciences Dept., Univ. Texas at Dallas, Richardson, TX

Learn about our Environmental Program at http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~brikowi/

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 01:00:38 GMT
 Wazzup with Adobe Atmosphere?

Quote:
> Has anybody checked out Adobe's new Web 3D authoring tool/viewer named
> "Atmosphere"?  The web page promises this will "Transform the Web into a
> universe of virtual 3D worlds" (see
> http://www.adobe.com/products/atmosphere/main.html ), seems like I've
> heard this somewhere before.  Rather annoying is that VRML isn't
> mentioned anywhere that I can find in their description of this new
> revolution...

I downloaded their smallest set of sample files.  Their .AER format appears
to be a "chunky" binary format.  It looks proprietary.

--Steve

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 05:27:03 GMT
 Wazzup with Adobe Atmosphere?

Quote:
> Has anybody checked out Adobe's new Web 3D authoring tool/viewer named
> "Atmosphere"?  The web page promises this will "Transform the Web into a
> universe of virtual 3D worlds" (see
> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ), seems like I've
> heard this somewhere before.  Rather annoying is that VRML isn't
> mentioned anywhere that I can find in their description of this new
> revolution...  Odd that their beta software is Windows-only.  Its
> encouraging having a big player like Adobe embrace Web 3D, but I'm
> concerned that this seems to be another strictly proprietary format.
> Since I'm a Unix {*filter*}, I haven't seen the source code for their
> worlds, but I wonder how much of the VRML standard is included (sounds
> like its a hierarchical geometry description language, with many
> pre-built prototypes).  The documentation indicates a wide array of
> earlier 3D standard worlds can be imported into their authoring tool.
> Adobe didn't just buy Computer Associates/Platinum, did they??

The fact that a large company like Adobe would publicly release Beta
software in such a way indicates they are unsure of whether or not the
product will gain support.

Also supports Javascript and some (undisclosed) importer for avatars. Has
text commands with binary (base64?) encoded data. Also has a DEF/USE system
for textures etc.

The scenes on their site as nice and all but virtually all of it has been
done in vrml in the recent past. The pyramid scene I have seen in vrml dated
1998.

It looks like another web3d format which lacks the most important function
which is decent compression of the files. The fact the it is another
strictly proprietary format does little to encourge its uptake. You have to
look at the long term and what are the chances of the product being
discontinued or no longer updated. Didn't computer software companies learn
anything from the .com crashe which took out 40 or so products very much
like Atmosphere.

I wonder if there is an export function in their authoring tools?? If not
then you are stuck with creations which can not be used in other systems
(vrml, x3d, mpeg 4 etc.)

In any commercial situation the best systems are *usually* those with the
most companies supporting and producting products. Don't be fooling into
buying/useing something which you know little about and have no background
on.

Paul Aslin
vrml author

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:24:13 GMT
 Wazzup with Adobe Atmosphere?
hi tom,

the time has come (again... hahaha) for web3D.  macromedia has
a new beta shockwave player that does 3D... you can use almost
anything that generates 3D, and then import it into their (somewhat)
high-dollar director app.

miker

Quote:
> Has anybody checked out Adobe's new Web 3D authoring tool/viewer named
> "Atmosphere"?  The web page promises this will "Transform the Web into a
> universe of virtual 3D worlds" (see
> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ), seems like I've
> heard this somewhere before.  Rather annoying is that VRML isn't
> mentioned anywhere that I can find in their description of this new
> revolution...  Odd that their beta software is Windows-only.  Its
> encouraging having a big player like Adobe embrace Web 3D, but I'm
> concerned that this seems to be another strictly proprietary format.
> Since I'm a Unix {*filter*}, I haven't seen the source code for their
> worlds, but I wonder how much of the VRML standard is included (sounds
> like its a hierarchical geometry description language, with many
> pre-built prototypes).  The documentation indicates a wide array of
> earlier 3D standard worlds can be imported into their authoring tool.
> Adobe didn't just buy Computer Associates/Platinum, did they??

> --

> Tom Brikowski, Geosciences Dept., Univ. Texas at Dallas, Richardson, TX

> Learn about our Environmental Program at http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~brikowi/

Sat, 04 Oct 2003 09:05:04 GMT

1. Adobe Acrobat PDF with APL characters

2. VA Call to Adobe PDF Writer printer failing

3. Adobe Acrobat PDF

4. US-MD CA-Unicenter MSM SMS PVCS Intersolv Adobe Acrobat Smalltalk

5. US-MD CA-Unicenter MSM SMS PVCS Intersolv Adobe Acrobat Smalltalk

6. US-MD CA-Unicenter MSM SMS PVCS Intersolv Adobe Acrobat Smalltalk

7. US-MD CA-Unicenter MSM SMS PVCS Intersolv Adobe Acrobat Smalltalk

8. US-MD CA-Unicenter MSM SMS PVCS Intersolv Adobe Acrobat Smalltalk

9. US-MD CA-Unicenter MSM SMS PVCS Intersolv Adobe Acrobat Smalltalk

10. VA Call to Adobe PDF Writer printer failing

11. CW2.003 output to Adobe PDFWriter

12. Clipper,HP,Adobe Printing