Poygon reduction freeware
Author Message
 Poygon reduction freeware

Does anyone know of any good free source (C, C++, JAVA) or shareware polygon
reducers available?  I've tried "chisel" and found that it works OK for
smaller models, but chokes if the vrml file is much over a few megs.

Thanks!  Mad Dan

Fri, 01 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Poygon reduction freeware
Must be some other reason for the {*filter*} I've used chisel for LARGE (tens of
Mb) VRML files....how's your RAM...Sandy

Quote:

> Does anyone know of any good free source (C, C++, JAVA) or shareware polygon
> reducers available?  I've tried "chisel" and found that it works OK for
> smaller models, but chokes if the VRML file is much over a few megs.

> Thanks!  Mad Dan

Sandy Ressler
About.com Guide to Web3D
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 01 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Poygon reduction freeware
Have l look at
http://dangun.kaist.ac.kr/~hyenny/link/software.html

Especially the "JADE" tool does a very good job and is comparable to
commercial tools. It's made for the Unix world though...(IRIX)
http://vcg.iei.pi.cnr.it/enhadecimation.html

Another list can be found at the VRML works :
http://home.hiwaay.net/~crispen/vrmlworks/tools.html#Postproduction

Good luck

PS : If you don't find what you want there you should look at sample
routines and algorithms at some geometry portals (dunno URL)

Sat, 02 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Poygon reduction freeware

on 16 May 2000:

Quote:
>Have l look at
>http://dangun.kaist.ac.kr/~hyenny/link/software.html

>Especially the "JADE" tool does a very good job and is comparable to
>commercial tools. It's made for the Unix world though...(IRIX)
>http://vcg.iei.pi.cnr.it/enhadecimation.html

Under NO circumstances try to run jade on a remote X server.

Yes, I was stupid enough to try it.

Quote:
>Another list can be found at the VRML works :
>http://home.hiwaay.net/~crispen/vrmlworks/tools.html#Postproduction

Novafex's Flamingo Optimizer is still available, last I looked, but one
of the neatest tools, TGS's 3D Decimator has passed into the great
beyond.  It did make me finally break down and buy Chisel, though, and
Chisel does a pretty good job.  If you can find several decimators that
use different algorithms, you can usually get pretty good results out of
one of them.
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
crispen at hiwaay dot net

I needed to make a phone call while at the library. When I asked for
change at the counter, I was told that they didn't give change for the
phone, only for the copy machine. So I asked for change for the copy
machine and she gave it to me.

Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. FREEWARE: Dalby Source Printer for Clarion is now freeware

2. Freeware announcement: Dalby Source Printer released as freeware

3. Dead horse matrix reduction

4. Strength Reduction for J

5. Major Wireless Price Reduction:

6. FW: Topspeed Reduction

7. Topspeed Reduction

8. New price reduction on GREGPlus...Two days left!

9. New price reduction on GREGPlus for the next 15 days

10. NT performance reduction with Clipper application running

11. Reduction question

12. Final cfp: WRS'02 - 2nd WS on Reduction Strategies