vrml will it take off
Author Message
 vrml will it take off

Well that's the 64 million dollar question...realistically no one knows. But in
some domains it already has taken off...there are a lot of serious scientific
type applications like biology, chemistry, CAD design systems and others where
vrml is a commonly used visual representation of some structure. True that use
of VRML is mostly just geometry with little behavior but it does allow people to
view 3D visulizations leveraging off the infrastructure of the Web. VRML may or
may not become THE mainstream 3D representation for the Web...Microsoft may
strike again with Son of Chromeffects...who knows. Speed is an issue and long
downloads won't be tolerated for any 3D representation and is I think a
temporary (5 years) problems. Whether or not VRML is THE final big win doesn't
matter the principles of VRML's use and priciples of 3D graphics one can learn
using VRML and it's realtime capablilities are surely applicable to future
technologies.

Sandy

Quote:

--
Sandy / VRML Guide
The Mining Co.   http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 23 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 vrml will it take off

Quote:
>Hi i was just wondering what other people think about this, do you think
>Vrml will take off as a mainstream langauge in webpages or is the loading
>time to load animations to long

The loading time is quite short.

Quote:
>  and the fact that you have to download a
>product to veiw vrml up against it.

This is the main problem. VRML needs default support in the Web browsers.
Without that, no I don't think it will take off.

Braden

Mon, 23 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 vrml will it take off
Hi i was just wondering what other people think about this, do you think
Vrml will take off as a mainstream langauge in webpages or is the loading
time to load animations to long  and the fact that you have to download a
product to veiw vrml up against it. Because speed is everything these days ,
people won't stick around to long for everythink to load up, they want it
now and then.Has vrml got a prosperous future?

From PAul

Tue, 24 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 vrml will it take off

Quote:
>Hi i was just wondering what other people think about this, do you think
>Vrml will take off as a mainstream langauge in webpages or is the loading
>time to load animations to long  and the fact that you have to download a
>product to veiw vrml up against it. Because speed is everything these days ,
>people won't stick around to long for everythink to load up, they want it
>now and then.Has vrml got a prosperous future?

I think speed is VRML's main advantage. VRML files aren't very big,
and the web itself keeps getting faster every day, with the advent of
cable modems and DSL. Anyway, our company is banking on making VRML
and exciting and visible force in the web. Watch for a Wired News
story on XRave next Friday which will hopefully bring a lot of
attention not only to our site, but to the potential uses of VRML in
general.

Wed, 25 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 vrml will it take off
whats your url then :)
Quote:

>>Hi i was just wondering what other people think about this, do you think
>>Vrml will take off as a mainstream langauge in webpages or is the loading
>>time to load animations to long  and the fact that you have to download a
>>product to veiw vrml up against it. Because speed is everything these days
,
>>people won't stick around to long for everythink to load up, they want it
>>now and then.Has vrml got a prosperous future?

>I think speed is VRML's main advantage. VRML files aren't very big,
>and the web itself keeps getting faster every day, with the advent of
>cable modems and DSL. Anyway, our company is banking on making VRML
>and exciting and visible force in the web. Watch for a Wired News
>story on XRave next Friday which will hopefully bring a lot of
>attention not only to our site, but to the potential uses of VRML in
>general.

Thu, 26 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Why have IBM taken off UML Designer in Version 6 of VAST

2. Is there a way on taking the ICON off

3. Is taking time off a bad idea?

4. Why PL/I took off

5. are any RUGs taking off?

6. Q: [VA4.02] Is there a way on taking the ICON off

7. VRML taking info from a remote server?

8. SGI KILLS OFF COSMO SOFTWARE VRML ARM

9. How does one turn off headlamp in my VRML code

10. Clarion Project - Anyone willing to help?

11. Willing to pay for help with error (CW2.003)

12. Someone willing to donate TXD parsing code to Open Clarion