MovieTexture Sound in CosmoPlayer2.0
Author Message
 MovieTexture Sound in CosmoPlayer2.0

I've created a super simple vrml world with just a MovieTexture on a
square IndexedFaceset.

When I show it in CosmoPlayer 2.0 I get no sound for .MOV's or .MPG's.

#VRML V2.0 utf8

Group {
  children      Shape {
    appearance  Appearance {
      material  NULL
      texture   DEF Test_Movie MovieTexture {
        url     "mariah_s.mov"
        loop    TRUE
        stopTime        -1
      }
      textureTransform  NULL
    }
        geometry IndexedFaceSet {
                        coord Coordinate { point [ -3 -3 1,
                                 3 -3 1,
                                 3  3 1,
                                -3  3 1
                                ] }
                        coordIndex [0,1,2,3]
                        texCoord TextureCoordinate {point [0 0,1 0,1 1,0 1]}
        }
  }

Quote:
}

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Jeff Harrington   [ "Art does not make peace...that is not its business...]

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;>[[ My Music ]]<<--------------]
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;>[[ My Worlds ]]<<-------------]

Tue, 27 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 MovieTexture Sound in CosmoPlayer2.0

Quote:

> I've created a super simple VRML world with just a MovieTexture on a
> square IndexedFaceset.

> When I show it in CosmoPlayer 2.0 I get no sound for .MOV's or .MPG's.

> Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

VRML separates visual from audio; MovieTexture just handles the visual
aspect - you need to add a Sound node with the audioClip pointing to the
same MOV or MPG you're using in the MovieTexture node. Then you'll get
the audio, too.

- Paul
***********************************
Paul S. Hoffman
VP/Creative Director, Cognetics Corporation

Company URL - http://www.cognetics.com
Personal URL - http://pluto.njcc.com/~paulsam
609-799-5005 ext.237 - FAX 609-799-8555

Wed, 28 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 MovieTexture Sound in CosmoPlayer2.0

: >
: > I've created a super simple VRML world with just a MovieTexture on a
: > square IndexedFaceset.
: >
: > When I show it in CosmoPlayer 2.0 I get no sound for .MOV's or .MPG's.
: >
: > Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

: VRML separates visual from audio; MovieTexture just handles the visual
: aspect - you need to add a Sound node with the audioClip pointing to the
: same MOV or MPG you're using in the MovieTexture node. Then you'll get
: the audio, too.

That's not the case, actually, in fact some tutorials offer the
possibility of using MPEG MovieTextures as a sound source solely.

Finally yesterday evening I got one movie to play sound.  It was a very
short Bart Simpson AVI, about 250k.  It would seem that the longer the
movie (and the movie we want to play is 45 MB with 30FPS) the less likely
you'll get audio.

Seems like a bug in CosmoPlayer 2.0.  ActiveMovie doesn't seem to mind...

Further comments or workarounds are hoped for...

Jeff Harrington   [ "Art does not make peace...that is not its business...]

http://www.parnasse.com/jeff.htm --------->>[[ My Music ]]<<--------------]
http://www.parnasse.com/vrml.shtml ------->>[[ My Worlds ]]<<-------------]

Wed, 28 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 MovieTexture Sound in CosmoPlayer2.0

On 9 Jan 1998 17:12:25 GMT, Jeff Harrington

Quote:

>I've created a super simple VRML world with just a MovieTexture on a
>square IndexedFaceset.

>When I show it in CosmoPlayer 2.0 I get no sound for .MOV's or .MPG's.

Try this mate it works this end. Avi + mpg no problemo interested to
know if it does mov too! I only use intervista world view tried Cosmo
2
too much bullsh*t required.

all the best!

#VRML V2.0 utf8

Background {}

Transform {
  rotation    0 1 0  0
  translation 0 0 -4.67
  children [
    Shape {
      appearance Appearance {
        texture MovieTexture {
          url  "tworld.mpg"
          loop TRUE
        }
      }
      geometry Box {}
    }
  ]

Quote:
}

Wed, 28 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 MovieTexture Sound in CosmoPlayer2.0

Quote:

>Try this mate it works this end. Avi + mpg no problemo interested to
>know if it does mov too! I only use intervista world view tried Cosmo
>2
>too much bullsh*t required.

>all the best!

>#VRML V2.0 utf8

>Background {}

>Transform {
>  rotation    0 1 0  0
>  translation 0 0 -4.67
>  children [
>    Shape {
>      appearance Appearance {
>        texture MovieTexture {
>          url  "tworld.mpg"
>          loop TRUE
>        }
>      }
>      geometry Box {}
>    }
>  ]
>}

That shouldn't give you any sound at all. You need a Sound node:

Transform {
  rotation    0 1 0  0
  translation 0 0 -4.67
  children [
    Shape {
      appearance Appearance {
        texture DEF MOVIE MovieTexture {
          url  "tworld.mpg"
          loop TRUE
        }
      }
      geometry Box {}
    }
    Sound {
        source USE MOVIE
    }
  ]

Quote:
}

I kinda don't think WorldView should be giving you any sound without a Sound
node. The Sound node contains the spatialization and scoping information for
the sound; giving you sound without a Sound node seems to me like putting
geometry in the scene not associated with any Shape node.

Prismatic Booger

Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 MovieTexture Sound in CosmoPlayer2.0

: I kinda don't think WorldView should be giving you any sound without a Sound
: node. The Sound node contains the spatialization and scoping information for
: the sound; giving you sound without a Sound node seems to me like putting
: geometry in the scene not associated with any Shape node.

Try playing "Bart's Laugh" from:

http://www.cict.com/video/simpons.htm

82k AVI played for us... with Cindy's wrl from the textures pages.
Interesting and thanks for straightening me out.  I'll have to see how CP
2.0 handles that 45 MB file.  (This is one bizarre use of VRML but been
there befo!).

Jeff Harrington   [ "Art does not make peace...that is not its business...]

http://www.parnasse.com/jeff.htm --------->>[[ My Music ]]<<--------------]
http://www.parnasse.com/vrml.shtml ------->>[[ My Worlds ]]<<-------------]

Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. tempfile problem CosmoPlayer2.1 & NSC4.5

2. Deactivate camera1 in CosmoPlayer2.1?

3. ANNOUNCE: New CosmoPlayer2.1 Mac release

4. CosmoPlayer2.0 beta 1 problem with EAI

5. texture not working on my CosmoPlayer2.1.1

6. clipper dos sound to windows sound card

7. Sound through the sound card for MSWLogo?

8. REXX: Sound.CMD --- simple sound player !

9. sound WAVE sound

10. SOUND-a-SOUND

11. snack sound and multiple sound cards

12. MovieTexture