VRML change textures and geometry
Author Message
 VRML change textures and geometry

Hi, I was wondering, how you can you change the texture of an object in a
scene, replace the object with another (i.e. new geometry) while the vrml
file is running. Any ideas?

Sat, 16 Jul 2005 08:50:51 GMT
 VRML change textures and geometry
On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 00:50:51 -0000, "mahendra soni"

Quote:

>Hi, I was wondering, how you can you change the texture of an object in a
>scene, replace the object with another (i.e. new geometry) while the VRML
>file is running. Any ideas?

Are you extracting the urine or blind? or a Linux type person?
http://www.parallelgraphics.com/showroom/solutions/interior-design

Is it a lack of examples? Search the web for VRML there is tons out
there!

Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:13:50 GMT
 VRML change textures and geometry

Quote:
>>Hi, I was wondering, how you can you change the texture of an object in a
>>scene, replace the object with another (i.e. new geometry) while the VRML
>>file is running. Any ideas?

These are things that require scripting. e.g.

http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/vrml/konstanz/textur_tauscher.wrl

Bad luck, if your browser do not allow scripting 8-(

BTW: It is a bit usual to exchange only geometry.
     People usually exchange Shape nodes with the Switch node.
     But to drive usefull events into a Switch node, you also need
     scripting, cause there is no "counter" node in VRML, that can
     deliver a SFInt32 event in a easy way.

http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/vrml/linuxtag/hase.wrl

Quote:
> Are you extracting the urine or blind? or a Linux type person?
> http://www.parallelgraphics.com/showroom/solutions/interior-design

Is this the "official" source for VRML information 8-) ?

so long
MUFTI
--
This can cause a single-thread application such as UNIX, to
become multithreaded, resulting in unexpected behavior.

Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:37:36 GMT
 VRML change textures and geometry
Sorry folks a moment of grrrr! Forgive me please

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:37:36 +0000 (UTC), Joerg Scheurich aka MUFTI

Quote:

>>>Hi, I was wondering, how you can you change the texture of an object in a
>>>scene, replace the object with another (i.e. new geometry) while the VRML
>>>file is running. Any ideas?

>These are things that require scripting. e.g.

>http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/vrml/konstanz/textur_tauscher.wrl

>Bad luck, if your browser do not allow scripting 8-(

>BTW: It is a bit usual to exchange only geometry.
>     People usually exchange Shape nodes with the Switch node.
>     But to drive usefull events into a Switch node, you also need
>     scripting, cause there is no "counter" node in VRML, that can
>     deliver a SFInt32 event in a easy way.

>http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/vrml/linuxtag/hase.wrl

>> Are you extracting the urine or blind? or a Linux type person?
>> http://www.parallelgraphics.com/showroom/solutions/interior-design

>Is this the "official" source for VRML information 8-) ?

>so long
>MUFTI

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 01:06:07 GMT
 VRML change textures and geometry
Take a look at our VRML Tech-Library:
http://www.neeneenee.de/vrml/worlds/tech/tech.php

at Demo Textur 01-04, these demos were about moving and changing
textures. You can browse through and download this library.

::VRMLsuck::Bart
http://www.neeneenee.de/vrml/

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 02:08:00 GMT
 VRML change textures and geometry

Quote:
>      you also need
>      scripting, cause there is no "counter" node in VRML, that can
>      deliver a SFInt32 event in a easy way.

http://www.web3d.org/technicalinfo/specifications/ISO_IEC_19775/Part0...
s/utils.html

If this looks like good utility, discuss the X3D specification with
your friendly browser maker.

Best Regards,
Joe

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 03:46:26 GMT
 VRML change textures and geometry

Quote:
> If this looks like good utility, discuss the X3D specification with
> your friendly browser maker.

Or find out the official URN and build it as PROTO. Any takers yet ?

so long
MUFTI
--
Pers?nlicher Benutzer - fr den einzelnen Benutzer hing der
Wunsch des kompakten, hohen Klarheit Kopfes SVGA-Bildschirmanzeigen

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:30:24 GMT
 VRML change textures and geometry

Quote:
> Or find out the official URN and build it as PROTO. Any takers yet ?

Yes, I think you can see them working or very close natively in Xj3D.
The idea about proto's being available is a great one, but we actually
need two native implementations to fully approve the spec.
Best Regards,
Joe

 and Tony Parisi's product.
At least that is where we are depending on them for two

Quote:
> > If this looks like good utility, discuss the X3D specification with
> > your friendly browser maker.

> Or find out the official URN and build it as PROTO. Any takers yet ?

> so long
> MUFTI
> --
> Pers?nlicher Benutzer - fr den einzelnen Benutzer hing der
> Wunsch des kompakten, hohen Klarheit Kopfes SVGA-Bildschirmanzeigen
>                                (aus einer Webseite fuer einen 3D Datenhelm)

Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:17:01 GMT
 VRML change textures and geometry

Quote:
> > Or find out the official URN and build it as PROTO. Any takers yet ?

http://www.web3d.org/TaskGroups/x3d/translation/examples/development/...

Please have a look at these prototypes for X3D nodes.

Thank You and Best Regards,
Joe

Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:56:36 GMT
 VRML change textures and geometry

Quote:
>> > Or find out the official URN and build it as PROTO. Any takers yet ?
> http://www.web3d.org/TaskGroups/x3d/translation/examples/development/...
> Please have a look at these prototypes for X3D nodes.

When will the VRML people learn to include a (open source or whatever)
copyright statement to their code, when they intend, their code can
be used by others ? 8-(

http://www.web3d.org/TaskGroups/x3d/translation/examples/development/...

Do i need a special permission by Don Brutzman and Estuko Lippi
and Jeff Weekley and Jane Wu, if i would include this proto into
the distribution of white_dune ?

#VRML V2.0 utf8
# X3D-to-VRML-97 XSL translation autogenerated by X3dToVrml97.xsl
# http://www.web3D.org/TaskGroups/x3d/translation/X3dToVrml97.xsl

# [X3D] VRML V3.0 utf8

# [head]
# [meta] filename: BooleanSequencerPrototype.x3d
# [meta] description: BooleanSequencer is modeled after ScalarInterpolator and generates true or false values.
# [meta] author: Don Brutzman, Estuko Lippi, Jeff Weekley, Jane Wu
# [meta] created: 7 August 2001
# [meta] revised: 26 December 2002
# [meta] reference: http://www.web3d.org/technicalinfo/specifications/vrml97/part1/nodesR...
# [meta] keywords: boolean sequencer
# [meta] url: http://www.web3d.org/TaskGroups/x3d/translation/examples/development/...
# [meta] url: http://web.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman/Savage/Tools/Animation/BooleanSeque...
# [meta] generator: X3D-Edit, http://www.web3d.org/TaskGroups/x3d/translation/README.X3D-Edit.html
# [Scene]

PROTO BooleanSequencer [

Auf deutschen HP9000-Tastaturen wurde brigens die bei deutschen
PC-Tastaturen so beliebte [Str]an[g]uliertaste korrekt mit "Ktrl"
beschriftet.
                        (urban legend)

Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:33:00 GMT
 VRML change textures and geometry

Quote:
> Do i need a special permission by Don Brutzman and Estuko Lippi
> and Jeff Weekley and Jane Wu, if i would include this proto into
> the distribution of white_dune ?

Everything involved in proving that the proto can fullfill
the X3D spec is free and with signed-off IPR as contributed to the
open source open standard web3d.org X3D.
Everything outside the proto named for the X3D node is just
decoration and attribution for people who have contributed
to that so far. Mainly led by Don Brutzman.
I would further say that by their appearance on the web3d.org site
in the context of providing example protos to allow testing
during an implementation process places them in the 'Contributed' category.
All this material, including the specification,
is freely contributed to the Consortium and IP free.

http://www.web3d.org/fs_aboutus.htm

then select IPR.

 > if i would include this proto into

Quote:
> the distribution of white_dune ?

No reason not to do that. Are you sure these are ready?
Maybe more testing is called for.
Most importantly, this means no claim is possible by anyone,
but the team would like to evaluate any improvements and
perhaps make it better and contribute it back into the web3d.org archive.
As clever as those savage folks are, improvements can be made to that set.

As usual, a tough part is actually getting an improvement into the
current official archive, but it can be done:)

Quote:
> # [meta] url:  ...

The currently listed files will be present for a long time.
A "spec url" will be set final at some point in the spec process.

Quote:
> PROTO BooleanSequencer [
> ... (any attribution here should be removed for spec use)
> ]

Thank You and Best Regards,
Joe

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 09:55:07 GMT
 VRML change textures and geometry

Quote:
>> Do i need a special permission by Don Brutzman and Estuko Lippi
>> and Jeff Weekley and Jane Wu, if i would include this proto into
>> the distribution of white_dune ?
> during an implementation process places them in the 'Contributed' category.
> All this material, including the specification,
> is freely contributed to the Consortium and IP free.

I think, there is still a legal problem (but i am no lawyer):

http://www.web3d.org/aboutus/ipr.html

| 4.3. The following copyright notice and disclaimer shall be included
|     in all standards track documents:
|
| ?The Web3D Consortium (date). All Rights Reserved.

As far as i can see, this statement is missing in

http://www.web3d.org/TaskGroups/x3d/translation/examples/development/...

so long
MUFTI
--
How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP
  NOTE: Windows XP and Linux can coexist on the same computer.

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 19:25:43 GMT
 VRML change textures and geometry
How about first treating these as external and doing some testing.
When it works from the archive, then move it to 'local' copy that uses
an attribution agreeable to you.
In my mind, the sign 'approved by MUFTI' would be enough!

The important item at this time is any changes get evaluated
and made part of the current archive.
Results are needed using these event utilities in the X3D spec:

http://www.web3d.org/technicalinfo/specifications/ISO_IEC_19775/Part0...
s/utils.html

30.4.1 BooleanFilter
30.4.2 BooleanSequencer
30.4.3 BooleanToggle
30.4.4 BooleanTrigger
30.4.5 IntegerSequencer
30.4.6 IntegerTrigger
30.4.7 TimeTrigger

The web3d x3d spec process requires two independent implementations.
For the 'Transitional X3D' browser conformance,
implementation by prototype is OK.

Quote:
> | 4.3. The following copyright notice and disclaimer shall be included
> |     in all standards track documents:
> |
> | ?The Web3D Consortium (date). All Rights Reserved.

At this time, these protos are not actually a part of the standards
track except serving as vital and fun evaluation examples.
They are just freely given as a way to implement X3D iso standard
functionality and maybe compare results with native implementations.
The only problem would be a node with this same name that was
not functionally equivalent but stated to be iso x3d.

For these examples, in the ...guts... of it:

PROTO BooleanSequencer [ ...guts... }
or
<ProtoDeclare name='BooleanSequencer'> ... guts ... </ProtoDeclare>

and the reference to it in:

EXTERNPROTO BooleanSequencer [ ... guts ... ]

http://www.web3d.org/TaskGroups/x3d/translation/examples/development/...
encerExample.wrl

I don't see any name anywhere.
However, that proto and the externproto definitions are part of the spec
development
path so actual update of that proto file must be discussed in x3d-contributors.

http://www.web3d.org/TaskGroups/x3d/translation/examples/development/...

Use these to go scriptless for interactivity you needed scripts for before.

Thank You and Best Regards,
Joe

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 06:42:47 GMT
 VRML change textures and geometry
The BooleanSequencer PROTO has a bug which prevents it from working with
Contact.

On the first line in the javscript:

var forward
 this should be a proper field in the Script node if it is global.

Quote:
> > > Or find out the official URN and build it as PROTO. Any takers yet ?

http://www.web3d.org/TaskGroups/x3d/translation/examples/development/...
.htm

> Please have a look at these prototypes for X3D nodes.

> Thank You and Best Regards,
> Joe

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 15:12:14 GMT

 [ 16 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. changing textures in a vrml world

2. Vrml texture change

3. Change Image Texture /Color in VRML

4. Texture on geometry called by Inline

5. changes fixed the Histogram display but spoilt the Geometry display

6. Dynamically changing texture-map images

7. texture change on button press

8. changing textures dynamically

9. Help with EAI and texture change!

10. Script for changing an objekt's texture

11. Javascript driven viewpoint and texture changes.

12. Javascript controlled viewpoint and texture changes