FireGL and Direct3D under NT
Author Message
 FireGL and Direct3D under NT

Hello
I bought a FireGL 1000 Pro and was very disapointed, that
the NT-Driver does not support Direct3D Acceleration (in fact that was the
reason why I bought it).

Is there any way to use the hardwareacceleration of FireGL with Direct3D
applications (namely Worldview) under Win NT?

Or if not is there an other card which supports Direct3D Acceleration for
Win NT?

thanks in advance

Sat, 30 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FireGL and Direct3D under NT

Quote:

> Hello
> I bought a FireGL 1000 Pro and was very disapointed, that
> the NT-Driver does not support Direct3D Acceleration (in fact that was the
> reason why I bought it).

> Is there any way to use the hardwareacceleration of FireGL with Direct3D
> applications (namely Worldview) under Win NT?

> Or if not is there an other card which supports Direct3D Acceleration for
> Win NT?

No. This is not a video card issue. Hardware-accelerated Direct3D simply
is not yet available under Windows NT, and it won't be until Windows
2000. If you're interested in hardware-accelerated 3D under Windows NT
4, you'll need to use OpenGL. The FireGL 1000 Pro should prove capable
in that regard.

--
Braden N. McDaniel

<URI:http://www.endoframe.com>

Sat, 30 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FireGL and Direct3D under NT

Quote:

> I bought a FireGL 1000 Pro and was very disapointed, that
> the NT-Driver does not support Direct3D Acceleration (in fact that was the
> reason why I bought it).

> Is there any way to use the hardwareacceleration of FireGL with Direct3D
> applications (namely Worldview) under Win NT?

> Or if not is there an other card which supports Direct3D Acceleration for
> Win NT?

Your disappointment is somewhat misguided - it's not Diamond's (or 3Dlabs)
fault, it's MS's - MD decided not to fully support DirectX under NT until NT
5.  NT 4 "supports" Direct3D by providing _software_ rendering _only_, as
explained in the release notes for Service Pack 3. You won't be able to get
Direct3D hardware acceleration under "NT" for _any_ card until Windows 2000.

See, for instance,
<http://support.microsoft.com/support/ntserver/content/servicepacks/sp...>

"
DirectX 3.0:

Service Pack 3 contains a complete software implementation of DirectX 3.0 as
well as ongoing hardware support for the DirectDraw component of DirectX 3.0.
This translates into the following major feature changes since the release of
DirectX 2.0 as supported in Windows NT 4.0:

DirectDraw
Access to all 256 entries in the palette when in exclusive mode.

DirectSound
Software-based 3-D localization of audio (Direct3DSound APIs.)

DirectInput
COM interface supporting mouse and keyboard data with documentation and sample
programs.

DirectPlay
IDirectPlayLobby, an interface that allows an external application to launch a
DirectPlay 3.0 application and provide it with all information necessary to
connect to a session. Internet TCP/IP service provider for multi-player
applications over the Internet.

Direct3D
Software emulation for the Direct3D 3.0 API. (In Windows NT 4.0, we provide a
beta version of the software drivers for Direct3D 2.0.)
"

--

Sr. Software Engineer, Visual Simulation Division, Autometric, Inc.

Sat, 30 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Textureproblem FireGL 1000 Pro

2. Direct3D

3. Direct3D rendering limitations?

4. vrml to direct3d

5. Direct3d VRML Browsers

6. Erratic RDSTC with Direct3D

7. Direct3D headers for Asm

8. Direct3D, *not* OpenGL

9. NT Server Slow, NT Workstation Fast

10. NT Workstation or NT Server?

11. NT Server + NT Workstation + ADS problem.

12. NT and NT Dos Client