Slow/No Speed>>>>>>>>>
Author Message
 Slow/No Speed>>>>>>>>>

Quote:

>I'm creating a model at the moment and it's incredibly slow, can anyone help
>me with these general vrml questions.

I don't know for certain, but I can give you some educated guess
(remember, these are just guesses).  But below I'll give you a tip for
finding these out for yourself.

Quote:
>Is it sensitive to total scene size or just local(visible) scene?

I would think it'd be both in the vast majority of cases, although I
don't know how 3D acceleration hardware affects either one.

Quote:
>How much does texture complexity matter, and is it better to have many small
>texture tiles or only a few large tiles?

I wouldn't think the complexity of the texture itself would matter; as
for small and large, I don't know.

Quote:
>What is the most important of these factors when considering speed of
>movement.

Here's what I did when I was curious about these things: put in a
script that prints the current frame rate (there's a function for it
in the spec).  Something like:

  Script {
    eventIn SFVec3f position
    url "javascript:
      function position(p, ts) {
        print('frame rate: '+Browser.getCurrentFrameRate());
      }
    "
  }

(this is a snippet of code that I actually used, although I cut out
some of it).  I ROUTEd a ProximitySensor node that I had for a HUD to
the position field, so it would print out whenever the movement
changed (I later added some code to only print every 10th event, which speeded
things up considerably).  I suppose you could ROUTE a TimeSensor to it
instead, with appropriate changes to the Script field.

Although this will gobble up some throughput itself, it should help
with relative speed measurements.  As with any experimental trials,
try to keep all the other conditions (movement, etc) constant from one
run to the next.

Quote:
>I'm currently using a PII 333Mhz with 128Mb RAM this should be sufficient
>shouldn't it?

I would hope so, since I'm running on a 200MHz PPro with half as much
RAM.  Of course, it's certainly possible to write a world that would
bog down a Cray :).
--
John A. Breen         | I teleported home one night with Ron & Sid & Meg.

                      |                            - Douglas Adams

Sat, 06 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow/No Speed>>>>>>>>>

Quote:

>If you
>make a bedroom that is, say 50 meters, it will take forever to move
>through it.

It sounds like this is because you're using the default NavigationInfo
speed.  Try something like this:

  NavigationInfo {
    speed 10
  }

and see if that speeds things up.  I assumed the original poster was
talking about efficiency-related slowdowns.
--
John A. Breen         | I teleported home one night with Ron & Sid & Meg.

                      |                            - Douglas Adams

Sun, 07 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow/No Speed>>>>>>>>>
Hello,
Your machine will run slow unless you use hardware acceleration (AGP for
sure in your case) because if the hw accell isn't there, all rendering
is done by slower software.  Next, I think you must consider whether to
use DirectX drivers (IE), or OPENGL (Netscape) drivers, or both. .  Some
hw accel may do both or only one.  I am using IE, with VRCreator, and
ATI.
Good Luck,
Joe W.
hypermultimedia.com

Techno and Promo HyperMultiMedia

Sun, 07 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. HELP>>>>>>>Fortran-Pascal Linking

2. >>>>>>>FROM SMTK TO C++

3. ><><><><>Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp on INT 14!><><><><><>

4. <<<<<YOU MUST CHECK THIS OUT >>>>>>>>>> 2103

5. >>>>>AVL tree

6. >>>>>How to read a IMAGE file?(BMP, GIF)|||||||||

7. ANNOUNCE>>>>>TOTAL FrameWork from Cincom

8. >>>>VHDL tutorial text: Summary >>>>

9. Graphics>>Rectangle>>intersects: erroneous code

10. **>>CO Smalltalk Developer!!>>**

11. Multi band report - parent >>child >>stepchild

12. Clipper 53->53a->53b Update-ActualizaciĆ³n Clipper53->53a->53b