Interactive HUD problem
Author Message
 Interactive HUD problem

I'm trying to make a HUD that will be used in a vrml instructional
anatomy world.  The idea is to have the main organs of the human body in
VRML format that the viewer can move around while in the the EXAMINE
form of the navigator node.  I would like to have a small figure in the
HUD panel that moves (changes orientation) within the HUD panel so that
the viewer can always check what his orientation is to the parts of the
body he is examining.

The example at this link
http://www.*-*-*.com/
is as far as I've been able to go. The HUD objects rotation around the x
axis seems O.K., but the rotation around the y axis is backwards.  If I
nest transforms that contain the geometric figures weird things start to
happen with the figure's motions.  As you can see they are only partly
correct and if I nest all of the small HUD geometric figures together
the pivot point of the transform for orientation seems to change.

Is my intent so complex that I would need to script it?

I've looked at the examples at Bob Crispen's, and the Carey Bell book's
pages but I'm still confused as to how to proceed.
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~crispen/vrml/
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~rikk/Book/egs/ProximitySensor.wrl

Any help appreciated.
Carlton Newton

www.cnewton.org

Fri, 28 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Interactive HUD problem
not sure what the probs with your code r, but a simple script or 2 could fix
it pretty easily, then again if u can avoid a script u might be more plugin
independant...
if your really lost i can take a look at your code, just email me
db

Sat, 29 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Interactive HUD problem
after viewing the code, it appears some or alot of this has been exported?
all the different transform values and complex material nodes? some of the
excess transform info might be causing the results, if that is all
deliberate and u still need help i could try breaking it down to find some
solutions
db

Sat, 29 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Interactive HUD problem
Hi,

I have an example of a VRML modeler, where I am
using an Icon of the model in the HUD. And I had to change
one value of the SFRotion vector to map the rotation of the model
to the icon.

You can look at the file at following url:

http://caad.arch.ethz.ch/~strehlke/xWorlds.wrl

Its quit a long file the importent lines for your problem
should be the following lines:

DEF PROX ProximitySensor {
        center          0 0 0
        size            1000 1000 1000

Quote:
}

DEF IW_01 Transform {
        translation     -33.2 23.5 5
        scale           0.6 0.6 0.6
        children [
 the geometry of the icon ...
        ]

Quote:
}

DEF SCRIPT Script {

eventIn      SFRotation      ANGLE_IN
eventOut     SFRotation      ANGLE_OUT
url "vrmlscript:

   function ANGLE_IN (value) {
        VECTOR[0] =  value[0];
        VECTOR[1] =  value[1];
        VECTOR[2] =  value[2];
        VECTOR[3] = -value[3];
        ANGLE_OUT  =  VECTOR;
   }
"}

ROUTE PROX.position_changed TO PROX.set_center
ROUTE PROX.position_changed TO MENU.set_translation
ROUTE PROX.orientation_changed TO MENU.set_rotation
ROUTE PROX.orientation_changed TO SCRIPT.ANGLE_IN
ROUTE SCRIPT.ANGLE_OUT TO IW_01.set_rotation

I hope this helps you.
Kai.

Fri, 04 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Interactive HUD problem
Kai-
Very impressive file!  Thank you so much for sharing it with me.  Its
terrific!

Your image reminded me of a wrl I made some time ago:
http://www.finearts.art.vcu.edu/cnewton/cnewtweb/cnvrmlfiles/cpuzloop...

I wonder what other things in VRML you might have done.
Thank you,
Carlton Newton
www.cnewton.org

Quote:

> You can look at the file at following url:

> http://caad.arch.ethz.ch/~strehlke/xWorlds.wrl

Sat, 05 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problems with HUD + Examine mode

2. HUD problems - hud_test2.wrl (0/1)

3. Interactive Problem Solving Using Logo

4. Unix Interactive Cobol Problem

5. rxvt + python problem: script output buffered and interactive output missing

6. Interactive problems with Python 1.6

7. Embedding an interactive Python console problem

8. odd problem with del in interactive mode

9. Problem with Interactive WISH

10. Why does HUD disappear with blaxxun ?

11. I want to rotate myn worlds with 4 buttons i a hud-wiev

12. My HUD doesn't appear when the world is loaded