cosmo world freeware ?
Author Message
 cosmo world freeware ?

Hi,
 I called the international sale phone # from www.cosmoworld.com, it
direct me to Computer Associate and then the people in CA said they are
no longer relate to cosmoworld, they told me I can find cosmo world as
freeware in www.intervista.com.
 So I was very e{*filter*}d, but after I visited the intervista.com, I can
only find a link that link back to www.cosmosoftware.com, which has
only trial version avaiable, and the internet buy is not functioning.
 Does anyone has any clue about what's going on now ?
 If the cosmo world become freeware and open-source code, that will be
really cool.
 David

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 04 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 cosmo world freeware ?
This has been a recurring question on this newsgroup and for good reason.
I'd like tell you my recollections... with the help of my archived mail...

On this newsgroup...
- Wed, 08 Jul 1998 read a message that SGI shut down its Cosmo Software
unit.
- Mon, 15 Mar 1999 a message was forwarded that stated that "...PLATINUM
and Web3D have decided that it is in the best interests of the community
and the industry at large to release Cosmo
Player into Open Source..."
[subsequent to this I heard through the grapevine (not on this newsgroup)
that there would be an announcment on Mar. 31st regarding this source code
- I didn't hear or see anything of the kind.  Also it appears Platinum 3d
technology was absorbed into Computer Associates?]
- 20 Jul 1999  there is a message that includes the following "...Computer
Associates is teaming with MetaCreations, using MetaCreations proprietary
3d technology, which competes directly with the Cosmo vrml plug-in...
- Wed, 21 Jul 1999 I received a message containing "...CA has promised that
there will be *no* delivery date for  Cosmosoftware tools code and only a
remote chance for restricted (to a few elite) delivery of Player code."

In summary, it appears one of the best (if not the best) VRML browsers was
simply erased.

that's just my impression,

~~David

Quote:

> Hi,
>  I called the international sale phone # from www.cosmoworld.com, it
> direct me to Computer Associate and then the people in CA said they are
> no longer relate to cosmoworld, they told me I can find cosmo world as
> freeware in www.intervista.com.
>  So I was very e{*filter*}d, but after I visited the intervista.com, I can
> only find a link that link back to www.cosmosoftware.com, which has
> only trial version avaiable, and the internet buy is not functioning.
>  Does anyone has any clue about what's going on now ?
>  If the cosmo world become freeware and open-source code, that will be
> really cool.
>  David

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
> Before you buy.

Sat, 04 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. REQ: Crack or Reg for Cosmo Worlds 2.0 Trial and Cosmo PageFX 1.0 Trial

2. Dodgy movement in Cosmo World created world

3. COSMO COSMO COSMO

4. Is Cosmo Worlds opensource ?

5. Reinstalled Cosmo, my world no longer works?

6. Cosmo Worlds...why the mystery??

7. Sounds in Cosmo Worlds

8. Good fog in cosmo worlds URGENT

9. Cosmo Worlds 2